Ke70 Electrical Problems

Roo

hey

i just brought my first ke70, but its got some issues

problem 1

when i apply the brake my parkers turn on, havent really looked into this yet but anyone have any idea on what happen?? brake lights work perfectly fine just parkers turn on :y:

problem 2

i have no reverse lights, the old owner said he put in the 5sp gear box so i thought i have a look at the gear box to see if i can find whats wrong and this is what i found

cables.jpg

as you can see i got 3 wire connections chilling in the wind, I then looked at the gear box and it only got one. so the gear box can connect up to the white one but i will have to change the connections because one is round and the other is square (thats not a problem) but where do the other 2 cables go??

problem 3

my temp gauge doesnt work so i had a look at the cables and found on connected to the thermostat but there is another one just chilling there see pic

tempgauge.jpg

so where does that go??

problem 4

my alternator is not charging, i had a look under her and found that a wire was disconnected and put it back in and still no luck, checked the fuse and it was still good. how do i check if the alt shat it self?

problem 5

whats going on with this rely and what is it for? is that cut blue wire important?

relay.jpg

cheers roo

Members dont see this ad

1. Possible wrong bulb in brake light bulb holder (single filament) bridging both brake and park wires, trailer plug wiring shorting out or some other short elsewhere in the wiring.

2. connect up that switch wire to your gearbox switch. Don't worry about the other wires (May be aircon related?)

3. that wire goes over the other side of the thermostat housing where there is another temp switch.

4. check the voltage at the alternator B+ post when the car is running, if it is the same as your battery voltage you have issues - Should be around 14v (Could also possibly be a burnt out fusible link).

5. Judging by its position I'd say it is a start relay, Pull the relay out and try start the car, If it doesn't crank, Thats what its for..

Where abouts you from anyway? Put your location in your profile and welcome to rollaclub...

Justin........

1. Possible wrong bulb in brake light bulb holder (single filament) bridging both brake and park wires, trailer plug wiring shorting out or some other short elsewhere in the wiring.

2. connect up that switch wire to your gearbox switch. Don't worry about the other wires (May be aircon related?)

3. that wire goes over the other side of the thermostat housing where there is another temp switch.

4. check the voltage at the alternator B+ post when the car is running, if it is the same as your battery voltage you have issues - Should be around 14v (Could also possibly be a burnt out fusible link).

5. Judging by its position I'd say it is a start relay, Pull the relay out and try start the car, If it doesn't crank, Thats what its for..

Where abouts you from anyway? Put your location in your profile and welcome to rollaclub...

Justin........

cool I'm from the gold coast :y:

will try switching bulbs, and will connect up that gear switch

as for the thermostat i looked around for like 20mins and couldnt find anything, this is what she looks like i seen others that have it near the top but i got lines going into it so where would this cable be??

thermo.jpg

cheers

Could possibly just be that wire thats hanging down then goes to that one temp switch, the other one might be for oil pressure. Does your oil pressure light work when you turn the igniton on and start it up?

yep oil pressure is next to the filter, someone said it might go into the fuel pump so i check that out tomorrow

All of mine have two temp senders... one on the side (like yours) and another around the other side of the thermo housing at the front.

I'd take a pic but its dark and there are wolves after me

ok cheers i had another look and couldnt find it so a pic would be great cheers

Hey bro your best bet is to get yourself a multimeter and start chasing wires since the park lights coming on as you press the brake might and more likely be a short in your wire hardness....just look for continuity....ground...etc ....or physically look and inspect wires going to the lights. Your alternator problem like they told you check for voltage coming from alternator.....also check your belts...make sure they are tight.....does it has a build in regulator or not ...you might want to check that out too...look for physical evidence of burned wires or for no continuity from wires also take your battery to get tested to make sure the battery is working ......your thermostat plug for that wire will be on the same side the wire is hanging from to the left side of the fuel pump right under dizzy...it looks like a little cannon plug adapter...so basically a male to female contact....you might want to replace the thermostat since if is always open it will give you no readings at all or erroneous readings......as for the reverse light just plug what ever plug goes from female to male from the 3 that you got and check for continuity and voltage to the reverse ligth when you put the car in reverse if not you will get no readings at all.....well I hope I helped you out a little bit....if you don't know how to do all this just ask anyone in the forum...they are pretty cool when it comes to help out......good luck

Hey bro your best bet is to get yourself a multimeter and start chasing wires since the park lights coming on as you press the brake might and more likely be a short in your wire hardness....just look for continuity....ground...etc ....or physically look and inspect wires going to the lights. Your alternator problem like they told you check for voltage coming from alternator.....also check your belts...make sure they are tight.....does it has a build in regulator or not ...you might want to check that out too...look for physical evidence of burned wires or for no continuity from wires also take your battery to get tested to make sure the battery is working ......your thermostat plug for that wire will be on the same side the wire is hanging from to the left side of the fuel pump right under dizzy...it looks like a little cannon plug adapter...so basically a male to female contact....you might want to replace the thermostat since if is always open it will give you no readings at all or erroneous readings......as for the reverse light just plug what ever plug goes from female to male from the 3 that you got and check for continuity and voltage to the reverse ligth when you put the car in reverse if not you will get no readings at all.....well I hope I helped you out a little bit....if you don't know how to do all this just ask anyone in the forum...they are pretty cool when it comes to help out......good luck

cheers

well i fixed most of the problems

the rear brake i just change the bulbs around and it now work all fine

alternator is now working the plug in the alt wasnt all the way in then my battery is dead so got to buy a new one

i made a connector up and my reverse lights now work

still can't find the connector for the temp gauge:sob:

Edited by Roo