Turbo Or Turbo Motor Conversion?

trdcamrypride

i was thinking of turbo'ing my camry i just replaced the 3s-fe which now has 42000 on the clock so it is only low kays so what i was asking what would be the cheapest and/or the best for performance to do put a turbo/supercharger on, or to da a turbo/supercharged engine conversion, and if this what engine will bolt in with no or little modification to engine mounts etc. i was thinking a 3s-gte or a 4agze or something along those lines.

Members dont see this ad

I know a 3sf-e with a turbo bolted to the side of it in a Camry. Now normally I crap more exciting things than a Camry, but this thing has balls. The BIG downside to the conversion is the drive train is nowhere near strong enough. Drive shafts, diffs, gearboxs, it's been through them all, some more than once.

Cheap horsepower is fine, but in the long run, everything else in the drive line has to be stronger than the engine. I don't believe TRD make a lot of Camry bits.

And remember, contrary to what people say, no conversion is ever truly easy.......

Edited by Redwarf

Okay, but what is value for money? Do you desparately want to stay Camry? Would it be more cost efficient to build a Celica? Or a Corolla? The problem is your going into mainly uncharted territory, where most items would require custom fabrication (Redwarf Motorsport, PM me for my mobile number! :insane:), and custom stuff comes at a price and doesn't always work.

Ask Fook.

You need to set a budget, and research your rectum off, and there wont be a lot of info out there. YOU need to do the hard yards, check and double check what people tell you. People will bullshit you to get the work, and if you don't have firm pricing, they will screw you.

It's not all gloom, if you do the hard yards, supervise the job properly, look after the budget, it's one of the most rewarding things you can do....

P.S: Punctuation is your friend......

Edited by Redwarf

yes i got a quote of $2400 just for the aftermarket ecu installed and i will be buying a turbo off ebay probably same with intercooler what else do i need and what stuff is optional that is not nessasary. i was looking to do most of the work myself as i have got a apprenticeship in exhaust engineering and fitting etc so i can do the dump pipe and every thing i was looking for around 3500 to 4000 for the turbo setup roughly.

yea get a ST185 half cut and go nuts. don't forget that the aftermarket ECU will need tuning too (About $200 or so each time)

Beware the eBay turbo. Alot of them (although they may be built by a reputable company and rebranded) are primative designs with poor efficency levels. If you were going to stay 3S-FE I would suggest something like a toyota CT20 or garrett T25G. Intercoolers Id beware of too. Buy of someone you can trust (eg modyourcar.com.au which is run by Dan Rucci of the late rollaboyz club). Just remember that most of the sellers on ebay are just there to try and make a quick buck and someones gonna be suckered.

go a 3SGTE from a GT4 bolt on a GT28 and use a celica box, you'll need to consider a FMIC (don't bother with top mount) the piping is the most exy, also a ECU (microtech should do nicely..however check out link and or the new wolf, you want something that will give u full control over turbo functions, such as boostcontrol, fuel cut defending, etc), you also have to consider a new exhaust system assuming everything lines up, also don't forget about a brake conversion, atleast the fronts.

3SGTE - 2500?

GT28 - 1500 (min)

Manifold - 500

FMIC + Piping - 1000

ECU - 1500 (min)

Brakes - (off front cut)

Exhaust = 1000???

Heavy Duty clutch (put this in when you have the engine out)

replace the Timing/cam belts if you don't know how many k's are on it.

Now considering Engineering as you want it all to be legal.

You also might wanna consider suspension set up.. more power needs more control

And if your not going to do it yourself, make sure you pick a decent shop to do it all.. I was burnt and I'm still flaming so becareful to who you go to.

Edited by TOMsGPTurbo

Personally, i would sell the Sv21. You could put a V8 in it, rice it up and all the rest of it, but at the end of the day - its_still_an_Sv21.

Now, we all go through the stage of saying "i don't like my motor, i want another one" - but how much power do you need?! - for a first car, you need something that gets you from A to B, reasonably cheap with minimal hassles. With that said, i got a new motor for my car - same motor design, but it was worked. Lets face it, A Stock 4K has got about as much punch as dead cat. After we took my old 4K out, we realized that the welsh plugs were...eh...old, and the front crank shaft seal was also on its way out. To fix my old 4K (now that i look back at it) it would of been more bother to fix it than replace it. A hotted up 4K came along at a dam good price, which i decided to purchase and just swap em over (with the help of Simon and the seller)

So, what am i trying to say?

The Stock Sv21 motor isn't a race motor, its anything but a race motor. But if you get into a sticky situation, ad-least its got "some" grunt there to get you out of what ever problem you are in. Compair that to a stock 4K in a Ke70, at times when i was driving, i did need more power (merging, 2 into 1 lanes, that type of thing) - it wasn't there. This new motor didn't cost me an arm and a leg, and its got enough there to help me, but not so much that its dangerously fast.

Put some extractors on the motor, get an exhaust system, try not to make it too loud, the ego hit turns into a headache some days, and it just attracts more un-necessary attention (not to say thats ALWAYS bad :insane: ) , put a pod on it-> things that don't cost TOO much, but to add to the power.

Ive said it before, and ill say it again. Theres no point going "I WANT A FAST MOTOR" when you need to turn (Coff** Suspension*) and slow down (Coff**breaks), along with rubber that matches.

In Conclusion (dam i still fell like I'm at school)

Don't waist ure money on the SV21, if you did get a big powerful motor for it, it would cost a hell of a lot to do all the matching components, and as a young driver my self, its very easy to speed with any car,not that you neeeeed a fast motor for driving on the road. Unless you want to do track work as well... (where did i read "you can never make a good track car you daily driver and vice versa all in the same vehicle)

Blar Blar Blar - Ive blabbed on for too long, i think/hope you get my view.

In a nutshell : if you keep the SV21, Save up some $, get some good suspension, good rubber and good breaks. Don't bother with a new motor. Its better to be safe, than to be the fastest top dawg in the local full sick club.

The_End

Edited by Teddy

oh wow teddy great write i can understand where you are coming from and it sounds good.

i was only seeing what would be good and bad and things like that.

only thinking about it.

but you put it that way and i might just do extractors and suspension as i have the other things.

thanks again teddy.

lol np trent

When i got the extractors and exhaust on my car (besides from being louder that i expected :dry:), it made all the difference - after 2,000 it was so much easier to accelerate - the stock exhaust manifold's are way too restrictive !