Engine Conversion Compliancing In Sa?

*Andrew*

I've been searching the site and google to find out what needs to be done and the costs involved to engineer/comlpy/register a k series corolla with a 4age. So far i haven't been able to find much. Has anyone here had their conversion legaly aproved?

Or does anyone know who to contact to find out exactly what's needed and costs? I've made some phone calls but all i've been told is i have to put in an aplication to modify form (or something like that) and take it from there but i can't as i'm trying to work out how much it's all going to cost before i buy a car and start the project.

Members dont see this ad

You have to get onto the website for your local road authority. Find the section for approved engineers. Call one up and make an appointment. *Make sure you have your info together*. If you walk in from the start and use words like "I dunno, i hadnt really thought about that", they will lose interest in you pretty quickly.

First consultations are generally free. The final certificate here in VIC is around the $700 mark, but i assume that varies from Engineeer to Engineer.

An extract from the Transport SA website.

INTRODUCTION

Owners Responsibility

There are many ways in which modifications may affect the safety of a vehicle without the person carrying out

the modifications realising that this has occurred. It is the intention of this Information Bulletin to provide a

general guideline to the safety and legal requirements relating to light passenger vehicle modifications.

Modifications, particularly in critical areas such as brakes, steering and suspension should only be carried out

by persons experienced in such matters.

Engineering Reports

Transport SA may request a report prepared by a Chartered Professional Engineer be submitted for vehicles,

which have been extensively modified to demonstrate that the vehicle's safety features and compliance with

relevant Australian Design Rules have been retained.

If modifications are sufficiently complex to require an engineering report you are advised to contact the

Institution of Engineers of Australia for assistance in choosing an engineer experienced in the discipline

concerned. A list of engineers experienced in this type of work is included in Information Bulletin Number

Transport SA

Edited by kangaroosa

Kangaroosa's link is where you should start your heavy reading.

Cut to the chase, ring this phone number: 8348-9599 and they will tell you straight up what they want.

They will give you 3 options:

1. Register the car with the new engine no. This is highly unlikely for the conversion you want to do.

2. Regency Park inspection and issuing of an SOR. This requires a $200 inspection where you will henceforth be issued with a list of things you need to fix before the conversion is done. This is basically a roadworthy inspection this is for the case where you have very little modification required on the car (ie same engine mounts, crossmembers etc). Could be the option for a 4AGE in perhaps a KE70 or later corolla. Unlikely for an earlier model

3. They will require it to be Engineered by a qualified Chartered Professional Engineer. Start saving, CPE's are not common and will probably charge 75 bucks an hour. The more chopping and changing you do, the more hours. They will require significant upgrades to the brakes etc, and probably meet ADR Emissions etc.

Ring them and see what they want.

This needs a writeup for the wiki I reckon. Tomorrow night....

Edited by philbey

What kind of k-series are we talking about? ke30, ke55, ke70??? If its a ke70 i can be of some assistance. Given the information i've been provided i'd say that your "easiest" way of getting a k-series 4age conversion through will be in a ke70.

In relation to actual "engineering", i was told that it would be approx $2,000 to get it engineered - its about $350 for brake and lane change tests, $600 for torsion test, and $600 or there abouts for the report to be written up and everything finalised. So i'd allow atleast $1500-$2000 (not including the modifications you'll have to do to your car to get it to the engineering stage) if you go down the engineering path.

I personally didnt want to pay $2k for someone to tell me my car is safe when i know it is (have done all the upgrades that are required). ANyway, here is a copy of some of the stuff i've posted up here:

SA transportation laws thread

i put in an "application to modify" form on monday to Transport SA and figured it'd be knocked back. Put forward what i thought was a pretty good case and didnt sound like a young hoon who wanted to make his car as quick as possible to impress the chicks......gave them a ring today to see what the progress was (decided i was going to sell it cause i didnt wanna pay the $$$$ to engineer it, and was gonna go look at an AE102 corolla tomorrow - i know :(). They'd finished the application and the guy let me know the verdict over the phone:

NO ENGINEERING REQUIRED* :lolcry: :lolcry: :bash: :dance: :dance:

* will beleive it when i see it in writing though :)

He said that he'd basically used the specs of a JDM KE70/TE71 that came with a 2gteu (???) engine that had 86kw - compared to that, the 4age is only a 10% increase in power, so i think they used that in addition to the fact i've done all the "bolt in" options and brake & diff upgrades to decide that it'd be fine. They're sending out the "statement of requirements" next week, but it'll basically just have to go over the pits now to get approved. I cannot express how f$#Ken stoked i am with this! I was walking down the mall after work on the phone and almost fell over when he said it didnt need to be engineered cause i was resigned to a negative response from them :n:

If you ask nicely i might post the list of requirements and the reasoning etc for future 4age into ke70 kids :cool:

Statement of requirements came in the mail today (for my KE70 JDM 4age swap), so thought i'd post up some of it as promised:

"This statement of requirements which expires on 29 Feb 2009, relates only to the vehicle described hereon and is not to be taken as a precedent.

Based upon the data supplied by you the modification(s) proposed to be carried out to the above vehicle (1983 ke70), namely:

1. the fitting of a Toyota 4age 4 clyinder EFI engine

2. The fitting of Toyota AE86 234mmx12.5mm disc brakes to the front axle

3. The fitting of a Toyota T-18 (TE72) rear differential incorporating 228.6mmx54mm drum brakes to the rear axle

will be acceptable to this office subject to the following conditions:

1 INSPECTION

That upon completion of the work, you are required to present this vehicle for inspection. If this SOR stipulates an engineering report is to be obtained that it is available (along those lines). A new application form must be completed if modifications are not completed by the expiry date on this form.

2. work is carried out exactly as specified to accepted automotive engineering and trade practices

3. the vehicle meets all other appropriate requirements of the RTA and Regulations

4. that the engine fitted is tested with an exhaust gas analyser at recommended idle speed and the attached "Vehicle Emission Test report" form is completed and supplied to the inspector at the time of inspection.

5. That the exhaust system emits not more than 2.5% carbon monoxide and 250 parts per million of hydrocarbons at engine idle speed

6. that the evaporative emission control devices are fitted and operational

7. That the engine is not modified to increase the power and/or torque of the standard 4age

8. That the noise emitted from the exhaust is in accordance with Vehicle Standards

9. THat the engine is fitted with the original manufacturer's injection system, injectors and engine management system (note - at the time of inspection, the ecu must be accessible for inspection)

10. that the front wheel track shall not exceed 1346mm

11. that the rear wheel track shall not exceed 1361mm

12. That the brake master cylinder and rear calipers are compatible with the disc/drum combination

13. That the correct brake balance front/rear is achieved

14. NOTE - following a road test further alterations to the braking system may be required

15. That an inspection is undertaken by the Vehicle identification section of transport SA.......

This form MUST be presented to the inspecting officer.

So bascially, the main things from all of that is the exhaust can't be too loud (less than 90dB, it must pass an emmissions test, the carbon canister must be hooked up, track not increased too much, and brake master cylinder compatible with the disc/drum combination.

Like i said ^ though, i basically filled in the application to modify form but also attached a letter clearly indicating the changes i had done to the car (JDM brakes, t-18 diff etc), and making sure to point out that it was basically a BOLT IN conversion, with little/no customisation required.

So its now just a matter of getting the car up to scratch (ie back to stock apart from the engine conversion) and making sure all of the little things work (demisters, lights, horn etc etc etc).

Hopefully that is of some assistance. Will hopefully have the car ready in the next couple of months so will be able to update on the progress then :yes:

Good luck!