7afc

200Boy

first of all *dons flamesuit*

I'm not sure my 4ac is long for this world so I'm looking for simple replacement. I don't want the hassle of a 4age conversion. I know 4afc's are almost a straight swap except for a few little things which makes it a promising avenue. But I would feel more comfortable about the conversion if the engine was a 1.8L.

So I was wondering how much it would take to carby a 7afe, put it in my rolla and how practical and costly this would be. I'm not too sure about the difficulty of fitting a 7afe into an ae82 period without worrying about fuel lines, ecu or looms etc. I figure there is 2 ways to go about it.

1. If a 4age head goes on a 4afc/4ac and a 4age head goes on a 7a block then I figure it should be possible to put a 4afc head on a 7a. This would mean I could use an original carby manifold, a lengthened 4afc exhaust (clearances pending) and the 4afc dizzy to take care of the spark. Theres also the question of timing chain. Would I be optimistic in thinking there could be some way to use a 7afe timing chain? Also would compression or valve clearances be an issue?

2. Then there's the other option of just using the whole 7afe. That way can use the original exhaust manifold and not have to worry about any engine internals. But would need to fab up a carby manifold of some description. Also then theres the question of spark. Spark only ecu is out of the question cost wise. It appears the 4afc and 7afe dizzies are mounted the same. Any chance I could swap them or the internals that I need? Also with the 7afe being taller than a 4ac, could I run into clearance problems with a carby on the side.

I'm pretty sure they all run c50 transmissions. I'm pretty nervous about doing any of this but on the other hand I think it will be a good learning experience that I'm looking forward to in a way. I'm not looking for a world beater, just something reliable that I can thrash daily and have it keep coming back for more :o

Any constructive comments appreciated. Same with anything I may not have thought of (thats relevant). Yes I've considered 4ages :(

Edited by 200Boy

Members dont see this ad

To be honest, I reckon it would be easier to put the 7AFE in as is, keeping the EFI. Fuel is easily sorted, just get a tank and pump out of a twinky AE82 they aren't that uncommon in wrecking yards. Then the biggest thing left is all wiring, I personally find wiring just clicks with me and it all makes sense with a decent diagram, but it seems less so for others. Depends on if you can find somebody to wire it for you.

I think option 1 is not worth it, pulling apart engines and putting different bits together will become expensive fast and then you basically need 2 engines to make one and I don't think there is much of a difference between the 4AF and 7AF head anyway.

Option 2 is more possible, but obviously you need to find out compatibility of the parts you are wanting to swap. That information which I do not know for sure.

Although you've said the 4AGE conversion would be too much hassle and you wouldn't want to bother. In my opinion I think it would be easier to do a 4AGE conversion over either of the options you listed. Why? The key to it is, your generation corolla (AE82) had a 4AGE model, thus everything bolts in from an AE82 twinky. Simple as that, with either of the 2 options you've listed you will at least require a few custom bits and pieces if not more major work. Only downside is you'll pay more, but you'll end up with a quicker car for it.

One question, do you currently rely upon this car as your daily driver?

Edited by Golberg

Yes and no. Its my daily but I can largely do without it. I still borrow my parents car every now then when I need to and uni is within walking distance.

As I say the 4afc conversion seems quite straight forward so I might just go with that. I'll keep doing my research though. Cheers for the reply. Its good food for thought :(

do 7a's come in carby form? id find that out. if not.. maybe find out if the 7a head have same port size and bolt pattern as the 4a then just swap intake manifold and carb over. but other things to research is clutch size.. will it fit your gearbox or does it need swapping.