My 3k Blows Blue Smoke :(

Guest Brad

Hey Guys,

As most of you know i own a KE35 Corolla, it blows blue smoke on start up and when the engine is cold and I'm not even "racing" it, my old man thinks that it could be the valve guides, the 3K has only done 130,000KM can any one help me?

Brad

Members dont see this ad

ONLY 130,000k? theyre only supposed to last 100,000 (although its debatable). Newer motors (i.e. 1990ish onwards) will last 300,000km+.

I wouldnt worry about it. Drive it till it starts blowing dickloads of blue smoke all the time. K motors are cheap.

Alternatively try some Penrite HPR40. Its very thick (25w70 I love it to death) and should reduce the oil consumption somewhat.

yeah, it's usually the valve guides that go. couple of hundred bucks and a head gasket should fix you up, or heads are usually $80 (tops) from the wreckers, but 3k heads are getting hard to find. i would consider just swapping a good 4k wrecker motor in if you're going to spend the money, it'll work out about the same as getting your 3k head fixed, just a bit more work

and how about you stay away from penrite because it's dog's balls. pennzoil "older engine oil" will last longer, as it's a straight weight mineral oil, and won't break down under bad conditions like a variable weight synthetic oil will

of course you could always just put $6.99 kmart oil in it, and not throw good money at an already lost cause :)

Hey,

Jason: If you have seen pics of my car you would know that it hasnt done 230,000KM ask teddy FFS.

Irokin: I have got Castrol GTX in it, its been in there for around 3 months, my brother has that overrated KE20 and he has Penrite HPR30 and its fine, maybe i should try some of that. Also i got the car when it had 129.000KM so i don't know if the old owner rebuilt it.

Super Jamie: When it comes to my cars engine i look after it, i don't put $6.99 kmart oil in it lol, when the 3K starts getting shit, i will get a 4K later on.

Also, i was driving it the other day for around 20 minutes, when i came home the tappets sounded really noisy like a diesel lol, so i stopped the car and parked it. After around 3 hours i went back out and checked the oil and guess what it was BONE dry, so i topped it up with GTX i had some left over from the previous oil change. So how could that of happened? My old man thought it was a bottom end bearing by the rattling noise.

It has now stopped and the engine running fine using no oil but still blowing some blue smoke.

sounds like it needs a new set of valve stem seals. the old ones are most likely hardened with age.

when i had my old ke30 many years ago, i bought a jap import 4k for it. that engine went 230,000 hard kays before i changed it.

regarding oils, pretty much any oil available these days is of a higher standard than what a 3k was designed to use when it came out.

once we put gtx2 into a 4k that wasn't running right, it blew so much smoke we couldn't see the end of the street. we dropped it, put pennzoil in and there was barely a puff of blue coming out the exhaust pipe. oils ain't oils

personally, i wouldn't do a burnout on gtx2, it's just so rubbish. i've heard gtx1 is nowhere near as bad

and yes, i recommend pennzoil. the oil fields that it comes from are considered some of the purest in the world, and some of the best mechanics i know swear by it

like i said above, pennzoil "older engine oil". it's a straight sae60 specially designed for engines that are half f@$ked and on the way out, like your valve stems are. pennzoil hd-50 would also be a good choice, it's a heavy duty sae50. hope this link works

http://www.pennzoil.com.au/?method=product...226A2B9E6F59547