I Have No Garage :(

original

This is the only thing at the moment that bugs me about city life. I have no where to work on a car unlike back home in NZ where there is always ample room.

So, is there like a rent-a-garage / self storage or similar on the northern beaches, sydney that lets you work on cars? cheap?

any other suggetions welcome

Members dont see this ad

I have been thinking that setting up this kind of storage facility/workshop wouldnt be a bad business proposition, assuming you could make reasonable money out of it... I am in Melbourne so I would be no good to you though :S

Wonder what people would pay...

I have been thinking that setting up this kind of storage facility/workshop wouldnt be a bad business proposition, assuming you could make reasonable money out of it... I am in Melbourne so I would be no good to you though :S

i think the main issue that this wouldnt be too viable would be to do with insurance... but as for the garage..

look in your local paper there are sometimes people advertising their garages up for rent etc: i rented a garage out in annandale once for $50 a week (few years ago now.. would probably be more than this now ).. owner was sweet .. he payed for electricity.. didnt mind working on the car but had to keep the place tidyish

cheers

Matt

You will be lucky to find anyone with a storage shed for lease that would actually let you rent it if they knew what your intention was. Plus, it's a bit difficult when most of the sheds only have 240v power and not 3 phase which you need for compressors etc. Although I am currently leasing a storage shed which my ke20 is sitting in right now. I was working on my car in it until I moved. It costs me 27.50 a week and I didn't let the real estate know what I was using it for. and as for the 3 phase power we just bodgied up an extension cord so that one end had a 3 phase power socket and the other had a male standard socket.

As for the idea of setting up the sheds for people to work in for a profit (silverra23), I don't think it's such a bad idea. We had a business in Dubbo just down the road from where I was living a couple of years ago called DIY Mechanic. He had a few hoists and tools and a shed that you could lease out to do your own mechanical work in. I think it worked out cheaper than going to an actual mechanic, but I never went there as my boyfriend and my Dad are both mechanics so I have never felt the need.

Cheers

Kylie

hmm, shame.

Not really looking for a place with a hoist, just somewhere to park the car, leave some tools, a bit of room to swing a cat, little bit of oil on the ground and no-one caring that I'm using a grinder at 10pm.

might just have to find a better house or make friends with a mechanic :S

Edited by original

Yeah I reckon my idea is better suited to old blokes with a bit of wedge and an old race car who don't have enough garage space - or who want to hide it from the missus - not so much the young bloke with no money trying to keep his car on the road.. the hoist certainly would be an issue for insurance.. as would a shed full of lovely old race cars :S

hmm, shame.

Not really looking for a place with a hoist, just somewhere to park the car, leave some tools, a bit of room to swing a cat, little bit of oil on the ground and no-one caring that I'm using a grinder at 10pm.

might just have to find a better house or make friends with a mechanic :)

Yeah, you'll be hard pressed to find a storage shed that's open that late anyway.

And, seeing as though you are living in Northern beaches, your neighbors probably won't have much gratitude towards you when you're using a noisy power tool at all hours of the night :)

I don't have that problem, I live in central western NSW, in a poor neighbourhood where people aren't quite as cranky and their house is at least 5 or 10 metres away from yours. :S

Good luck anyways

Yea that was like my place in NZ, you could stack cars on your lawn and grind away till 2am and no one would care much

Yeah, you'll be hard pressed to find a storage shed that's open that late anyway.

And, seeing as though you are living in Northern beaches, your neighbors probably won't have much gratitude towards you when you're using a noisy power tool at all hours of the night :)

I don't have that problem, I live in central western NSW, in a poor neighbourhood where people aren't quite as cranky and their house is at least 5 or 10 metres away from yours. :S

Good luck anyways

i don't know if any use are from the south of adelaid hear but i live in a plase caled seaford SA and there is this little area full of sheds that people rent out, like a home, you come and go as you pleas no mater what time and these are no small sheds, I'm talking you can park 6 city busses in 1 of these f@$kers. they don't have a hoyst just about 6 R32/33/34 skylines and a few USA V8 monsters. don't have a clue what it would cost but 1 like that devided by 6 or so people and you do the math. if all six payed $75-$125 a week i don't think an empty shed would cost more than $500-$600 a week. it would be sweet to do, just bring tools and split the bill and have new people each month or so as the cars get finished and moove on to the road. :S

I have been thinking that setting up this kind of storage facility/workshop wouldnt be a bad business proposition, assuming you could make reasonable money out of it... I am in Melbourne so I would be no good to you though :yes:

I'd probably be willing to fork out anywhere under $150/wk, but I guess it would depend on the facilities available... I'm still learning about my Rolla, so I don't yet need a hoist/pit etc but it would be brilliant to have somewhere to spray. And obviously after hours access is pretty important

I understand the predicament you're in bro - I just moved from Wollongong where I had a an awesome garage and neighbours who were cool to a newish townhouse in Brisbane city area that is really close

to the other residents. I can't make too much noise where I am now, but I have been lucky enough to find a place around the corner where a guy is renting me a space underneath his house where I am

doing the engine conversion in my KE10.

If you look around, check local community noticeboards at shopping centres, search the web or even put up some posters around where you live you will definitely find something.

Try posting or searching here: Click