Alternator Woes

charl

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, there is the source of my problems (not the best photo i know)

post-5272-1213417504.jpg

this is the plug i was talking about, ignore the yellow wire next to it because its not the right wire, it was just a white wire that was sticking out of the loom on its own that i attched the yellow wire to thinking it was the wire i needed but i don't think its right. i would imagine one of the wires in the plug would be the one i need to use?

post-5272-1213417549.jpg

oh and on a side note, this is on the side of my sump, just wondering what it is?

post-5272-1213417556.jpg

OK, The old type was an externally regulated alternator using the 3 pin plug (Field - Light Blue, Neutral - Red & Earth - White) Like in the following thread.

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/index.php?showtopic=17827

Those 3 wires will go back to a voltage regulator mounted near the strut tower somewhere (Someone who owns an earlier corolla can mabey tell us the exact location/provide a picture for you)..

Coming into that voltage regulator box are another 3 wires ( Battery (Sense), Ignition & Charge Light). The Charge light wire going into that regulator box is what you want to extend to go to the back of the alternator to the D+ (Dynamo) terminal..

After a long and frustrating journey i have finally got my alternator sorted out!! :lolcry:

so thanks to all of you for your help and advice, its awesome to be a part of a community where everyone is so generous with their time and knowledge. I'm sure this wont be the last time i ask a question but I'm happy to be driving again!

i ran my own positive wire to the battery and removed the external regulator and now everything is sweet!

see ya on the road

charl