How To Get More Lock For Steering Box/rack

tas_ae71

this is a general guide for corollas, i don't have much experience with earlier pre ke70's so information may or may not be compatible with your model. you can always have a look at your steering system to see if its the same as mentioned in this artical.

**disclaimer i and rollaclub do not take any responsibility for defects, failures etc. some modifications maybe illegal for street use and care should always be taken when working on steering systems.**

ae86

-ae86 powersteering arms/knuckles

-lock spacer

ke70/ae71

-ae86 powersteering arms/knuckles (use with t-18/ae86 strut upgrade)

-lock spacer

-sprinter rack

t-18

-ae86 powersteering arms (provides quicker steering only lock stops may need to be fitted)

-adjusted/modified lock stops

ma61 supra (may also include early soarer and cressida)

-adjusted lock stops (caution steering rack lock)

-lock spacer

ke55 and earlier

see the t-18 as it is the only one i have listed with a steering box, all ke55 and earlier have steering box systems as far as I'm aware.

EXPLANATION

ae86 powersteering arms (for use with ae86/t-18 struts)- these are simply a shorter version of a manual steering arm. bolt in replacement. the standard rack ends should have enough adjustment with use of standard control arms. wheel alignment is a must after installation, so book one before you do the installation. looks like factory ones, shouldn't have anyone pick-up that its not an original arm. one effect that most people like and or even do the conversion for as that it quickens up the steering dramatically. which is not always best for highspeed cars and will increase steering effort a little.

lock spacers- there is both a slip on and screw in version, they basically do the same job. it allows the rack to move further as you are effectively lengthening it. these are definitely illegal for street use, the screw in type is the safest bet. slip on lock spacers are cheap as chips around $30? the cheapest way of getting extra lock for most rack equipped cars.

ae86 rack (for ke70/ae71)- just put sprinter/t18 struts in and noticed you have even less lock than standard? pain in the arse isn't it? well a sprinter rack could be a good way for you to get standard sprinter lock. for most a pair a powersteering arms my do the trick but you don't want the increase turning speed. another conversion witch looks like a factory job.

adjustable/modified lock stops- lock stops are little bolt like thinks on the steering arm and they have a stopper on the LCA. this is the cheapest way to obtain more lock as in most cases its virtually free. i have seen lock stops which can be adjusted with a spanner and other that are fixed. for those lucky enough to have adjustable ones, you simply loosen the locking nut and wined the bolt like lock stop in until the desired amount of lock is archived, repete on the other side. for these with fixed ones, grab out the grinded and cut small amounts off of the stop until your happy with it, remember don't go crazzy as you can't put the metal back without a welder. keep reading down to see the negatives and thing to watchout for!!

NEGATIVES WITH THE ABOVE AND THINGS TO WATCH OUT FOR

powersteering arms- makes the steering a lil heavier (mostly parking) and also the cost of them (around the $180 mark more for new ones)

lock spacers- perhaps the most dubious of all methods mentioned, i haven't heard of any personal failures with these but just be careful when putting them in. i would recommend the screw in type over the slip on type, costs more but is the better way in my opinion.

ae86 rack conversion- biggest problem is probaly finding a rack that's in descent condition, they tend to go from $60-150. rebuilding them is a possibility

lock stops- for models with rack (ma61 etc) be sure that you don't dial in too much lock that the steering rack locks. this is where the steering rack goes as far as it can, past the point that the steering arm is inline with the rack or it may jam on full lock with could be quite a consern when parking or drifting.

for both the above and steering box equipped models. be sure that there isnt too much lock so that the wheel foul on the inner guard/chassis rails. i have seen 2 tyres cut in half because the tyre had grabbed the chassis rail. more offset wheels help this, but please keep this in mind when adjusting the lock. if you have your negative offset track wheels with your low profile track slicks on and you set it for this, then you put your street wheels with less offset/bigger profile tyre it may foul. when swapping to another control arm (corona/sigma) you probaly want to weld on your old stopper that on the control arm (corona arms have them but I'm not sure if they are in the correct position)

rack and pinion into t-18- (ill mention this as its kind of relevant to this being a steering section). due to the t-18 steering shaft not having any uni joints, you need a ke70/ae71 steering shaft a lot with the desired rack (ke70/ae71/ae86). its probaly easiest to do it with the motor/x-member out. you need to weld on the brackets to secure the rack to the cross member, put in the shaft and your about set! I'm not sure about putting racks into earlier ke/te models as t-18 shares fairly much the same chassis with ae86/ke70.

steering quickener- a little box thats joined into the steering shaft before the rack/box to increase the speed that you turn. a simple device thats commonly used in various forms of racing. it turns your steering inputs from 1 turn to 1.5 turns or how ever the quickener is geared, it can also do the opposite for high speed and drag cars etc. doesn't increase steering lock at all.

if i have go something wrong please feel free to show me the error of my ways of if you have more information to add. please feel free to post it and ill add it in there.

**picture, some stolen from other people**

spja screw in lock spacer-

screwinlockspacerpe6.jpg

screwinlockspacerinstalzd1.jpg

this is biggo's car with screw in lock spacer, 86 struts with standard 86 steering arms, reportedly aprox 45 degrees steering

binggoscarhd6.jpg

Edited by tas_ae71

Members dont see this ad

I didn't read most of it.. though I read a little. My step father races and uses a steering wheel fastener? Instead of making it more lock to lock, it decreases it?

I never found out if they can be universally fitted, but I think they can.. Though I am sure they will be illegal either way.