My Ke20 Restoration

hi guys a short update

i spent all morning cleaning out my little ke20 and started to work out what bits i am missing heres a bit of a list

2 bonnet bump stops

Roof lining

dash top and front (facing driver)

carpet

red door trims and rear trims where there would be a door in a 4 door

Rubber kit(inc window rubbers, doors,boot all that) ebay

1 side corolla badge

if anyone has any of these bits please pm me

cheers

Mate the bump stops are available from most late-model toyota's (Camry, FWD rolla, Corona etc)..... :hmm:

They bolt straight in :y: and are usually in excellent condition too. :y:

I can have a look for a badge for you......postage would be expensive on any other items :lolcry:

Hope that helps

Cheers, Dougy :dance:

Edited by PHATKE20S

Members dont see this ad
Mate the bump stops are available from most late-model toyota's (Camry, FWD rolla, Corona etc)..... :hmm:

They bolt straight in :y: and are usually in excellent condition too. :y:

I can have a look for a badge for you......postage would be expensive on any other items :lolcry:

Hope that helps

Cheers, Dougy :dance:

ok yeah if you could have a look for that badge that would be super

I think it's great to find a car in this condition, all the best with the work on it :)

Just make sure you finish your other project first but then again car's are never finished..

Johno

haha yea cars you can't ever say they are finished but I'm sure i wont be anywhere near finished the ke20 for a long time

• 2 weeks later...

little update

got the little car up onto dads hoist today just to have a look underneath looks really good other than a few little spots

at the very front one chassis rail has a little bit rusted out

both sills a tiny bit of rust at the back

front radiator support a little bit aswell

are these normal spots for one of these??

they shouldnt be hard to fix all out of sight so it doesnt have to be perfect anyways

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

ok so today i went on with pulling the ke20 to bits the plan is to get it to a bare shell no suspension or anything and build it all up from scratch repairing or replacing everything that needs attension,

so i started on the interior first pulling out seats, carpet seatbelts all pretty straight foward stuff then got onto the dash :D :bash: spent about half and hour trying to work out how it comes appart ;) ;) its a bit different to the 30-55's i am used to so eventually i got that out then started on the outside, grill, lights, bumpers all that kind of thing pulled off the passenger side front panel :n: :n: guess what??? RUST :( :( :(

that splash guard thing is completly rotted out and the end of the sill has holes in it :(

so next was the front so off came the lower guard and the sump guard thing both pretty straight lower guard was just painted over didnt bother about getting the paint chips out from the origanal color :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

but then i saw the radiator support.... :n: :n: not good :( so I'm not realy sure how to fix it yet any ideas??

so after seeing that i turned to the drivers side pulled off the guard and....... :y: :y: :y: :y: noooo rust :( :jamie:

Rather pleased about that :yes:

the other bits of rust are spare wheel well has a tiny bit and a bit just after both front doors on the bottom of the sills and one chassis rail has a tiny bit aswell

does anyone have any ideas how to repair the radiator support it is really really rotted out inside

heres some pictures of rust :sob:

rolla001-1.jpg

rolla005-1.jpg

rolla011.jpg

rolla014.jpg

rolla016.jpg

Man, she seems to be not too bad so far,

for the lower brace, put a wanted ad up for a donor one off another car thats in good nick.

Get them to grind it off and post it to you if possible,

then probably unpick the spot welds to get the lower half of the brace off your car,

Unpick the bit you need off the donor piece

then re-weld the new one in.

Just going off the picture i would use some tinsnips to cut away the rusted area to find solid metal,

cut out in a square manner so that it is easier to patch later,

you may have to cut the whole corner off if the rust is to that extent.

once you are satisfied that there is only good metal remaining, grab an old bonnet,

or what have you, and cut a piece out for donor metal.

If the hole you had to cut is fairly small you can often trim the donor metal to fit perfectly in the hole,

then weld it in - no overlapping, butt welding is a must if you don't want rust to come back.

If you had to cut a lot off, it is sometimes easier to cut two sides to shape, and tack the piece in place,

then bend the metal to shape, and trim it off once it is in place. an oxy would help greatly with bending some of those

curves too if you have access to one. Then once it is all tacked in, finish weld it.

• 2 months later...

update even if it is only minor i am isoon going to be getting on with it got myself a mig welder and a few air tools to fix some rust and a mate who's a car painting gun so he's lined up to help with the painting

after this weekend progress will be happening so stay tuned

• 1 month later...

ok its on kart state titles are over for the year so all my funds go into my little ke20 :bash:

started stripping shell down abit more today all alectrics out,

hardly anything left in the interior

went to pull the fuel tank out found it full of fuel :) :) absalutely(spelling) chockers so drained that out into some drums and tomorow will get it to the point where i can pull the drain bungs out and was all inside because this car is dirty :bash:

mite be buying another shell aswell so i will swap and change bits to build a ripper of a car

anyone who has any other ke20 bits please let me know

cheers