June 19, 200818 yr Author comment_254440 Ok... there is more rust than I remembered there being... Didn't want to take the duct tape off since it's preventing leaks (sorta) and I don't have any more of it... This is at the side of the bottom of the car at the on/towards the rear fenders. Beneath/behind the bumper and down the side of the boot. The rust in the second photo (on the right) actually makes a hole that you can see from outside the car... :lolcry: Fuel bowser (is that what it's called?) and underneath boot seal. Seeing these photos, are all of your opinions still the same? Would you say I should still try it myself or just pay someone to do it? Report
June 19, 200818 yr comment_254456 iv been a beater for bout7 years now and rust jobs are the worst jobs a boss can give u, by the looks of the pics they look like they are in a c**k of a spot. if ur gunna get rid of her with in the year just bog her up but id she a keeper just paysumone to fix her properly. a trick is to ask the beater to show u the rust peices he cut out before u hand over ur cash wen u pick the car up. hope i help ya Report
June 19, 200818 yr comment_254482 Thats some nasty rust there... its all between the seems :lolcry: was it like that when you bought it? Report
June 19, 200818 yr comment_254497 I hate rust.... Well, the rusts spots are quite large. It'll be larger if you prod with a screwdriver, when you wish to find out the extent of rusted metal. The rust area at the side of the rear boot space can be tricky to fix. They are normally cut out from outside and replaced with a new panel. The rocker panel would also a tricky fix. if you consider fixing it, do take a look of the inner sill too, as it is susceptible to rust too. Once fix, apply anti rust. The rest of the rust spots are straight forward to fix, even for e DIY-er with plenty of patience, reasonable skill and tool/equipment. Good luck with the repair Report
June 19, 200818 yr comment_254551 They're not that bad. Probably a bit too fiddly for a bernzomatic though (I was thinking spare tyre well). Invest in a mig. Report
June 21, 200818 yr Author comment_254788 iv been a beater for bout7 years now and rust jobs are the worst jobs a boss can give u, by the looks of the pics they look like they are in a c**k of a spot. if ur gunna get rid of her with in the year just bog her up but id she a keeper just paysumone to fix her properly. a trick is to ask the beater to show u the rust peices he cut out before u hand over ur cash wen u pick the car up. hope i help yaWhy are they so bad? Is it just the fact that it's rust and it's shit or that they're tricky to do? I'll most likely be keeping this unless I end up buying an already finished rolla... so I think I'll pay someone to do it. So when I'm going to pick up the car, ask him what areas he fixed? Thats some nasty rust there... its all between the seems :lolcry: was it like that when you bought it? Yep. Everything was like that when I bought it. I've had it since like... the start of the year and I've almost always had it undercover. I hate rust.... Well, the rusts spots are quite large. It'll be larger if you prod with a screwdriver, when you wish to find out the extent of rusted metal. The rust area at the side of the rear boot space can be tricky to fix. They are normally cut out from outside and replaced with a new panel. The rocker panel would also a tricky fix. if you consider fixing it, do take a look of the inner sill too, as it is susceptible to rust too. Once fix, apply anti rust. The rest of the rust spots are straight forward to fix, even for e DIY-er with plenty of patience, reasonable skill and tool/equipment. Good luck with the repair They're not that bad. Probably a bit too fiddly for a bernzomatic though (I was thinking spare tyre well). Invest in a mig.Tbh, I'd rather fork out the cash hey haha. It's a lot easier because I just want to get it fixed.. I'd rather be spending money on the engine or something than rust. ;) Report
June 21, 200818 yr comment_254795 'd rather be spending money on the engine or something than rust. :y: I hear that, though with me its time not money. IF you can, once the repairs are done, treat the rear section of the car with some POR 15. Once treated right, your rust removal should be final. ;) And next time you buy a car, factor the price of fixing the rust PROPERLY into the deal. :lolcry: Report
June 21, 200818 yr Author comment_254802 Yeah I hear you talking about that stuff a lot... what is it? Report
June 21, 200818 yr comment_254815 POR15 is a brand of anti-rust products and unlike most other brands, POR15 actually works. 1) get your panel down to adsolute bare metal. 2) degrease and clean area 3) apply METAL READY as per instructions. wash as per instructions. will leave a slight residue of zinc phosphate and may leave patches of slight rust colour... don't stress about it. 4) apply POR15 (paint) as per instrucions. on final coat ,after 3-5 hours of curing time, dust on some high fill primmer. The dust coat of high fill primer is not absolutley neccesary BUT it makes it easier to apply primer later as when POR15 set, its sets HARD!!!! You'll be there for a long time trying to scotch it. I let it set once then tried to scuff it... NEVER again! Let it cure and its ready for primer/body fill if required The zinc phosphate in METAL READY retards any rust that may accure and the paint seals the metal, keeping moister out. http://www.por15.com/ Report
June 21, 200818 yr comment_254853 sounds ok, on topic of rust removal. whats best way to remove rust out of rear quarter panel? Seems my rust starts down bottom corner, and runs right along the seam and its about 2" or more high. Report
June 21, 200818 yr comment_254860 I agree with Gspec, bring it back to bare metal and then you will know what you are dealing with. From there you can cut and weld in sections and or bog/fiberglass. Falken, if you can cut the same section out of a donor car you can then weld it in and work with that. Report
June 21, 200818 yr comment_254908 Angly grinder with a slitting disc. Slice it all off and wham. Done. Problem with using donor pieces is you have to find a good enough car to donate! Report
June 21, 200818 yr comment_254998 sounds ok, on topic of rust removal. whats best way to remove rust out of rear quarter panel? Seems my rust starts down bottom corner, and runs right along the seam and its about 2" or more high. You might need to drill out the spot welds along the bottom seam and do some plug welds. Report
June 22, 200818 yr comment_255218 Insteed of paying someone else to repair it, just put that money towards a mig. here's one i threw together today, just needs a tidy up and she's all rock'n'rol ...rust is GONE. :( Report
June 22, 200818 yr Author comment_255228 Insteed of paying someone else to repair it, just put that money towards a mig. here's one i threw together today, just needs a tidy up and she's all rock'n'rol ...rust is GONE. :( Yeah but how much is a mig? And what else would you need to finish the job? Paint, etc.? The other thing is that I probably will never use a mig again... can you rent them? I'm willing to do it don't get me wrong... after I fixed my heater I feel a lot more confident to do things myself... but I don't want to spend weeks trying to get it right and end up paying too much or having it come out crap. Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now