Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Brakes And Suspension Questions

Featured Replies

I'm just wondering about some things...

  • Brakes
    If I get bigger and better brakes for my 1982 ke70 sedan, will they be usable if I do any conversion? E.g if I do a 4k to 5k conversion or a 4k to 4AGE conversion, will I have to find new brakes?
     
  • Suspension
    If I lower my car all round with some shockies or whatever the hell they are called, will they also be "post-conversion safe"?

I'm wondering because I've started to earn good money but not enough for a conversion and I only want to do small things to the car first such as brakes, suspension, extractors, etc. I'm just curious what I can do now without worrying about future issues...

 

Cheers!

Edited by Mybowlcut

Well it would probally first be a good idea to decide what direction your taking this car to. Figure out what kind of engine your putting in, what the engine would weigh roughly and roughly how much power you expect to come from it.

 

Secondly I am guessing you would want this as a legal conversion? If so you would want to ring up your local transport group or engineer and find out what would need to be done to your car for it to work.

 

If WA is anything like SA, a K series engine would be a simple swap of the number and unless your getting it worked, there probably isn't much point to upgrading to a different setup. Maybe change the rotors to a slotted and vented and rebuild the calipers, but you probably don't need much more.

 

If your going 4AGE than you might want to look into AE86 struts as it would probably be necessary to make the car legal handling wise.

 

So first decide where your going, second figure out the information behind it, than build a list of what s needed and roughly how much it will all end up costing you before you start doing small things that might not necessarily work together or might not be needed in the end.

 

Cheers Fusion

Edited by fusion

  • Author
Well it would probally first be a good idea to decide what direction your taking this car to. Figure out what kind of engine your putting in, what the engine would weigh roughly and roughly how much power you expect to come from it.

 

Secondly I am guessing you would want this as a legal conversion? If so you would want to ring up your local transport group or engineer and find out what would need to be done to your car for it to work.

 

If WA is anything like SA, a K series engine would be a simple swap of the number and unless your getting it worked, there probably isn't much point to upgrading to a different setup. Maybe change the rotors to a slotted and vented and rebuild the calipers, but you probably don't need much more.

 

If your going 4AGE than you might want to look into AE86 struts as it would probably be necessary to make the car legal handling wise.

 

So first decide where your going, second figure out the information behind it, than build a list of what s needed and roughly how much it will all end up costing you before you start doing small things that might not necessarily work together or might not be needed in the end.

 

Cheers Fusion

Cheers for the lengthy reply!

 

 

I figure I really don't need the power of a 4AGE and the hassle when I can just get an extra 100cc from a 5k and it will be an easier conversion... I could probably do it in a day, right? If I was to get a 5k, all the suspension, brakes, extractors etc. would all be the same (as it would be for a 4k?)

Cheers for the lengthy reply!

 

 

I figure I really don't need the power of a 4AGE and the hassle when I can just get an extra 100cc from a 5k and it will be an easier conversion... I could probably do it in a day, right? If I was to get a 5k, all the suspension, brakes, extractors etc. would all be the same (as it would be for a 4k?)

 

Pretty much.

 

Goes like this:

 

Buy a 5k

 

Remove 4k

 

Insert 5k

 

Turn key

 

Wont have to worry about things like efi fuel systems or wiring.

 

Easy peasy, and you will learn lots about your car.

 

Buy a Gregorys manual before you start, follow the instructions. Cars are hard to break, its pretty obvious when you look and think.

 

Enjoy.

  • Author

Cheers. :lolcry:

 

Just to be sure, it is about a 100cc increase, isn't it? Also, what cars have 5ks in them? Is it the wagons?

4K = 1290cc

5K = 1496cc

Difference = 206cc

 

Liteace vans and other random shit. Came in KE70 wagons overseas but not any in australia AFAIK.

  • Author
4K = 1290cc

5K = 1496cc

Difference = 206cc

 

Liteace vans and other random shit. Came in KE70 wagons overseas but not any in australia AFAIK.

Oh good I thought it had to be more than 100... So is it best to find a van or get one imported?

Keep your eyes peeled on here, they come up a fair bit.

 

Ebay has them come up occasionally, and look out for Liteace vans on ebay as well, I've seen them cheap running with the 5k (often have the 4k though, check the engine number)

 

Doing it in a day is very possible, but if you don't know which end of a screwdriver is the functional end, it'll take longer than that.....

Edited by philbey

Always budget more time than you need. If you think it'll only take one day, so you start it on Sunday and need to drive the car on Monday, its guaranteed to bite you on the arse. If you're a first timer maybe budget two weekends and have the car off the road for a week. That'll give you a chance to take it nice and slow and replace all the flogged out things you find along the way.

  • Author

Cheers for the advice guys. Will make sure I can have access to Dad's car if I need it. :lolcry: Just so I'm aware... what are some things to look out for when buying an engine? I want to get one in good condition haha.

so did u want to buy a motor or spend money on other things? have you done suspension yet?

  • Author

Probably buy other things first... I have to find a motor. :( I haven't done anything to the car yet just new wheels.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.