Caution To Those With Carbies...

demuire

Members dont see this ad

The problem is, in competition, you have your foot flat, until you won't lift until you brake, normally, when you button off, car starts decelerating, with throttles stuck wide open, you keep going! This is enough to launch you off a corner, particularly as you have to turn off the motor to keep it from exploding, power is a wonderful thing for getting through a corner. If you have it happen on a gear change on a straight bit, all well and good, but coming up to a corner, VERY unattractive.

And obviously it was very unattractive for poor rex and lynn carr (who were in that Datsun 260Z). On that stretch of road we probably would have been doing maybe 120-150km/h (possibly more, since they were consistantly faster than us up the mountain), it's pretty much pedal to the metal, or standing on the brakes all the way up.

The skidmarks for the Z would have been maybe 20 or 30 meters before it launched itself a good 50 meters off the cliff. They were so very lucky to get out of it alive.

Stuck throttle also caused the destruction of Rollie (4AGE), by the time Nikki clutched in she was already carrying too much corner speed...

thank gawd i don't drive foot to the floor, and if something did happen, it makes such a racket, and usually bogs down (bugger all pickup in low revs; where i always drive) id know about it and reach straight for the key & Clutch. Full choke kills her too.

saying that it would give me a bad *OMFG WTF happened feeling *

look seriously, i don't want to offend anyone and car crashes are bad and i do hope nobody gets hurt

but in "20-30 metres", an experienced rally driver didn't think to push the clutch, or pop neutral, and brake into the corner properly?

the choice between a f@$ked motor or flying off a cliff at 120+km/h isn't exactly a difficult one. webers were the catalyst for this accident, not the cause of it

sorry

look seriously, i don't want to offend anyone and car crashes are bad and i do hope nobody gets hurt

but in "20-30 metres", an experienced rally driver didn't think to push the clutch, or pop neutral, and brake into the corner properly?

the choice between a f@$ked motor or flying off a cliff at 120+km/h isn't exactly a difficult one. webers were the catalyst for this accident, not the cause of it

sorry

I agree. theres been problems in the past with throttle cables jamming on K motors...with several cars crashed so it really isnt anything new to have problems with carburettors. Mind you the same kind of thing could happen to an EFI motor just as easily.....

all CAMS events require two external springs anyway.

ahh so finally I find some good in cams...

No offence taken, but I disagree, if it goes pear shaped, and you're commited, (and this guy wasn't a goose by any stretch of the imagination) you're relying on something to be there and it's not, it turns very ugly. I did it in the Stanza. No clutch, no second gear, no drive, large embankment. Same deal. If there'd been a big drop, I'd have been over it, and I consider myself reasonably experienced. Maybe I should have written commited in capitols, because when you are absolutley chock-a-block up it, by the time you've realised what's happening, it's all over.

Cause or catalyst, it's best descibed as "a racing accident". It's a risk you take and accept.

Have you ever noticed how fast "20-30 meters" goes by when you're doing 120km/h? Like Rob said, even if he did pop the clutch etc, he would have already been carrying too much speed to stop in time. And judging by the tyre marks, he did try to stop, just didn't quite succeed.

This was a car and crew that from what I've heard generally do fairly well in these sorts of events, so I would say they would be relatively experienced.

... and besides, it's unfortunately the name of the game. If you want to stay on the pointy end, you don't look at the cliff, you only look at the road and where you want to go.

Go for a ride with Rob or one of the other rally guys sometime when they go up to Pat Kennedy's or something. I think the first time I went out I was staring at the trees and banks and rocks too much, by the time we got to the end my eyes felt like popping out of my head :D