Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ke30 Start/stall Problems

Featured Replies

I have a couple issues with my 1978 KE30 corolla (1.2, manual trans) that I hope you can help me with.

 

1. It drives great, but when I put the car in neutral when coming to a stop it stalls. However, it will restart if I put it back in gear as long as I am still coasting more than 10/mph. Also, if I pull the choke out before I start braking it will not stall.

 

2. Sometimes the car will not start. When I turn the key it does nothing...no click, no attempted start, nothing at all. However, if I shift through the gears or wait a few hours it will then turn over. Any thoughts? All the lights work, the blower works etc. so it is not the battery and the starter was just replaced.

 

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Maybe an issue with low idle? Try adjusting it up a bit. I am certainly no expert though

yes adjust idle

 

also check timeing and points

also check all connections on battery and connections from battery to alternator and starter motor

 

does it not start when the car has been sitting for a while? or just randomly doesnt start?

 

when it does start how quickly does the starter motor turn over

Sounds like a bad earth or you're losing power to your starter and alternator intermittently.

 

First though, do you have dash lights when there is no audible click?

 

Also check the battery posts for signs of corrosion. If they're a little corroded, boil up some water in the kettle and go pour it over the terminals as this will clear away the corrosion.

That sounds completely random Jip?? How did your brake booster cause those symptoms?

 

(Not doubting, just curious).

 

I would guess low idle.

Edited by Dunadan

When slowing down she would stall, or when idling she would stall. To stop it from happening when driving I would have the choke out.

Sounds like the exact symptoms I had. (this referring to #1)

  • Author
yes adjust idle

 

also check timeing and points

also check all connections on battery and connections from battery to alternator and starter motor

 

does it not start when the car has been sitting for a while? or just randomly doesnt start?

 

when it does start how quickly does the starter motor turn over

 

 

After it has sat for a few hours or overnight it usually turns over, but I need to start it (turn the key) and pump the gas about 3 times before it runs on its own. It stalls the first 2 attempts to start. The 3rd time it stays running. Other than that, it just randomly doesn't start.

  • Author
Sounds like a bad earth or you're losing power to your starter and alternator intermittently.

 

First though, do you have dash lights when there is no audible click?

 

Also check the battery posts for signs of corrosion. If they're a little corroded, boil up some water in the kettle and go pour it over the terminals as this will clear away the corrosion.

 

 

Yes, all lights work.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.