Ke30 Carby Trouble

HRV-00S

Hey hey,

I'm having some problems with the 3k in my KE30 and I'm not sure what to do.

All I've done after buying the car is: Oil/oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, cleaned the spark plugs and run out off fuel on the way to work :D run some fuel system cleaner through it but got no love.

Anyway, when I drive it to work now (40 min's on highway@110) all goes well until I hit the 60km zone (5min's from work) I seem to be loosing the primary and have to drive it on the secondary (flat to the floor) push the accelerator halfway down and nothing happens then bam!!! off she goes, kinda, sorta.

3 corners later and I make it to work, car dies in car park, I go to work. Finish work, car starts fine, drive home no problem?

Thinking about rebuilding the carby, but never played with one before. How hard/costly would it be? I'm not retarded I should be able to cope :yes:

Edit: Also chasing points gap, dwell angel and timing so I can give it a quick tune-up.

Any advice would be very helpful,

Cheers Dan

Edited by HRV-00S

Members dont see this ad

Checked the engine timing? Changed the points?

Sounds like you're not getting enough spark to get it to fire properly and then all of a sudden a big spark comes along and ignites the build up of fuel.

Re-checked the plugs? Checked the gap?

Plugs could be replaced, but aren't to bad. Got a set of point to go in just need the gap/dwell angel.

Have not checked the timing yet, will do it all in one hit. It seems to be running rich(fast idol, black smoke, smells of fuel)

I was thinking It may have sucked something into the carby when I ran out of fuel. does need a good tune-up tho.

a 'build up of fuel' should not ignite with a bang unless it's built up in the exhaust, and the bang would not be from spark plug it would be from hot exhaust

a 'build up of fuel' would cause afr to be rich when spark returns

i cannot think of anything which would cause spark breakdown under those specific conditions either, except perhaps erratic coil from heatsoak from long highway drive which is fixed by cooling down

my suggestion is perhaps heatsoak causing the primary butterfly to stick

or some fuelling problem like jets blocked or ...? but it sounds intermittent so probably heatsoak issue maybe

stick some carby cleaner then wd40 down its throat while working the throttle mechanism and see if that helps lubricate or unstick everything

see if there is any gunk or crap on the outside of the carb causing external linkages to jam or block

but the primary should not jam as it should be directly connected to the throttle cable/linkage so i dunno

/end stream of consciousness

Brought a kit for the carby and striped it down last night,

and what did I find wedged tight in one of the venturie's(spelling?) non other then the wing nut that would normally be holding the air filter on :yak:

The intake manifold had a fair amount of fuel pooled up in the bottom of it, and there was a heap of crud throughout the carby too.

Just hope I can remember how It all goes back together :)

Cheers Dan

• 5 months later...
Anyway, when I drive it to work now (40 min's on highway@110) all goes well until I hit the 60km zone (5min's from work) I seem to be loosing the primary and have to drive it on the secondary (flat to the floor) push the accelerator halfway down and nothing happens then bam!!! off she goes, kinda, sorta.

3 corners later and I make it to work, car dies in car park, I go to work. Finish work, car starts fine, drive home no problem?

I get this problem also. It only happens when I've either driven car on highway for a while (like you), gave it a thrashing, such as drifting and also, when it's very very cold.

Let us know how you go with the carby overhaul. A weber should soon be fixing my problems of slow aisin carbyness :jamie:

Vinnie

and what did I find wedged tight in one of the venturie's(spelling?) non other then the wing nut that would normally be holding the air filter on :yes:

:jamie:

Drat, that wing nut does it every time

Just hope I can remember how It all goes back together :no2:

Cheers Dan

Its not that hard just a bit of common sense, being able to follow the diagrams and having the stuff laid out how you pulled/ripped it off in an order you can follow in reverse order.

Hey man,

Cars long gone now but when I pulled the carby down to put the kit through it. I did find the wing nut that holds the air filter on jammed in one of the venturies(spl?) and also the idle adjust screw didn't work before or after the kit but I fix the problem either way.

Cheers Dan