Ke 70 Brake Upgrade

MR AKE70

Members dont see this ad

There're quite a few options out there, just depends how much you want to spend and what sort of setup etc etc.

I'm running XT130 Corona brakes in the KE55 at the moment, these are pretty much bolt on.

I've got XT130/Landcruiser brakes in the KE35, these are almost bolt on (a bit of machining etc involved)

Alternatively other setups I know that work:

XT130/Hilux

XT130/RX7

RA40

RA60

And I've heard of these as well (don't know if they work, but have heard of them):

RA60 with Commodore discs/calipers?

Commodore calipers with Magna discs?

XT130 HQ Holden discs/calipers?

XT130 with P76 discs

Among others...

• 3 months later...

Thought it might be best o hijack another thread that start another repetitious thread.

I'm currently looking to put a 4agze into my late KE70 wagon. Once of the first things I want to do is upgrade the suspension and brakes.

I'm ready to go out and start buying parts to get this all up and going so I guess I'm just looking for real specifics if anyone is able to offer any help.

I'm getting confusing feedback from other people with regards to the front towers. Am I able to keep the current strut towers in there and just replace the calipers and discs or do I need to replace the entire thing?

If I were to go out tommorrow to go shopping and buy the nessesary parts, what would you recommend I get?

Getting them fitted isnt a problem but I don't know anybody who has lots of knowledge about Rollas (only Nissans).

Thanks in advance.

--MarcD

Good to know that you've decided to upgrade your brakes and suspension first instead of just building a death trap with 6 million hp at the wheels that doesn't stop or turn :)

There are many many options for brake upgrades, it really depends on what you want, and how much you want to spend, and how much enthusiasm/time you have.

Whether you keep your front struts or completely replace them is up to you. Being a KE70 your spindles are still on the small side so if you want to keep your struts you'd probably be going somewhere along the lines of AE86 brakes. Although, I have heard of someone using Cortina calipers and Magna vented discs on KE20 struts, but again no specifics. Other options in my post above.

heh I would like to enjoy driving my car than have photos of a car I used to have before it was wrapped around a tree :)

Money isnt an option. I intend to keep the car for a while (don't owe a cent on it) and I would like it to drive and handle well.

I would want the car to be legal with a 4agze in it. If this was your car, would you feel comfortable putting in it? I'm pretty harsh on my cars (I don't know how my current 4k-c has put up with 240k km of punishment and still not burning any oil) so if a bigger strut with larger spindle on it is better, then I would take that option.

Ive taken note of your recommendations above and Ill be looking around for these and getting some expert fitting advice.

Your simplest (and possibly cheapest) option would be to chase down a set of JDM AE86 front struts and brakes, you could probably even get aftermarket coilovers etc and it's all bolt in AFAIK. Then you'll have vented front brakes, should handle a 4AGZE without too many problems, just run good pads etc.

If you want to go bigger the most common upgrade would probably be the Corona/Pug/Hilux upgrade like on my AE35 (although technically I'm using Landcruiser calipers instead of Hilux ones). Very large, very heavy. Awesome stopping power, probably not the best thing for handling.

If like you said money isn't an issue then you'd probably want a similar setup, but using RX7 or similar calipers instead (alloy) - much lighter, but you'll need to make up custom mounting brackets. But realistically speaking, if money isn't an option the world is your oyster, you could even get custom 2 piece rotors and big alloy 8 piston calipers if you wanted...

If you're going to be spending all this money you might as well look into upgrading your drivetrain as well to handle the 4AGZE power (your standard diff probably won't take to it so well and besides, unless you want to run a locker you'll be spinning your wheels like mad). With a 4AGZE I'd be inclined to go with an R31 or similar Borg Warner diff, that way you also get the rear disc brakes too. Or if you really wanted to a Hilux diff, but then you'd still have drums (BIG ones though!) on the back. Or you could just get the JDM AE86 rear end, but the discs on the back of them are tiny and I don't think a T series rear end would like a 4AGZE too much if you abuse it. And what's the point of building a car if you can't abuse it :)

Heh thanks for the advice. Will be making some phone calls tommorrow. I'm not after a 9second car and one that can stop in an instant. Will look look into the AE86 front struts with bigger calipers. Gotta chase down some new rims. Stock rims just wont fit the bigger disc and caliper.

My next stage is after the suspension is done, is get a new rear diff.

My biggest problem is, is I can't justify getting a new engine in the car now because the bloody thing just wont blow up. However, once I get the suspension and everything else done, the motor should be on its way out (well Ill make it).

Even if I end up with a KE70 with a 4K-C engine in it that handles a million times better than a stock rolla, it will make it much easier to deal with untill I find a half cut at a reasonable price.