Ae82 Bhg

mlaser

Hey All

need your advice/opinions

My daily driver decided it was going to blow a head gasket on the way to TAFE today and I can't decide what to do.

I'm in the process of moving so this is awesome timing.

The car is a 1986 cs-x corolla sedan, engine has done around 266,000k's and it leaks oil, body is shit (front right has acco damage), interior is average at best, fuel gauge doesn't work, temp gauge doesn't work. The car cost me 1000 and i doubt before the acco if i would have gotten 400 bucks for it. I have my ke25 coming down here in around 2 months hopefully so i still need a car for the next 2 months minimum so i can't decide what to do and from what i see these are my options.

Option 1. Buy another car for under 1500 bucks

Option 2. Send car to mechanics to get fixed cost unknown (atleast 600 me thinks)

Option 3. Have a crack at fixing it myself with help from dudes from work/anyone who offers it (cost unknown)

Option 4. Get a second hand motor and have a crack at putting that in with help from dudes from work/anyone who offers it

i've got access to plenty o tools through work, and theres a guy at work who's rebuilt motors before

so if anyone has some advice or another option please let me know.

cheers

note: time is a factor, i needs a car

Members dont see this ad
  • 4 weeks later...
Option 1. Buy another car for under 1500 bucks

Option 2. Send car to mechanics to get fixed cost unknown (atleast 600 me thinks)

Option 3. Have a crack at fixing it myself with help from dudes from work/anyone who offers it (cost unknown)

Option 4. Get a second hand motor and have a crack at putting that in with help from dudes from work/anyone who offers it

Option 5. Chemi weld, (cost $11) Did the trick for my old datsun 200b and the old girl went for about a year after. :P

• 3 weeks later...
yeah do the gasket urself, whats this chemiweld you speak of?

This should only be used for a cheap fix. Will last you a good half year if you don't thrash the car or rev it too hard.

As i said it used it on my Datsun 200b. I bought the car for 100 bucks, 3 months later head gasket shits its self, poured chemiweld in the cooling system, drove it for another 9 months then got caught doing burnouts from the police and they gave me a cannery so easy come easy go..

I found a bottle in the shed so here are some pics, click on the second pic for details, sorry for the crap quality (phone camera)

You can buy it from auto shops like AutObarn, Supercheap Auto or Repco

post-5444-1221970495.jpgpost-5444-1221970584_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
chemiweld is glorious stuff when its only a POS car and you want it fixed fast.

depending on the size of the section leaking in the head gasket, should fix it right up.

nah chemi weld wouldn't have worked as the head had blown resulting in pressure forcing all of the coolant out the way it comes in. So i've just been pulling bits i want to keep out of it and plan on wrecking it. cheers for the advice though