Soulsearcher's Ae112r Sportivo Turbo

SoulSearcher

no, it WAS going to cost $4K, the quote is in and the more accurate figure is $4970 to make a new exhaust manifold, put in a garret T25 turbo, modify the dump pipe, well modify all the piping, ceramic coat the manifold and exhaust housing, do the helicoiling and labour. when you break it down to individual costs it's actually not that much...

2000 - 2500 for pipe work

1250 for turbo

95 gaskets

770 labour

330 helicoiling

250 ceramic coating

I'm sorry but that still seems ridiculously expensive. For that price I'd be working over your engine, putting on a 4age head, getting a ceramic kelway manifold and a t28 or something and making oodles more power than you are now... Does this not seem like a large price for anyone else? I'm not trying to be a smart ass here but I would hate to see you get ripped off... :hmm:

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry but that still seems ridiculously expensive. For that price I'd be working over your engine, putting on a 4age head, getting a ceramic kelway manifold and a t28 or something and making oodles more power than you are now... Does this not seem like a large price for anyone else? I'm not trying to be a smart ass here but I would hate to see you get ripped off... :hmm:

I feel exacty the same Danny, for everything i had done my total is somewhere in the very high $3000's not near $5000. Id be inclined to ask why so much and get exact details or shop around having said that, vixie is already there so it would be a little bit hard to take somewhere else.

Lesley, is the dump pipe a whole new front pipe aswell as in cat forwards? or just the dump going back into the small puiny section that we have?

Karl.

Edited by Karllos

I've been really depressed not having my car :lolcry: I was horribly upset that she wasn't ready to go to TS2010 (i'd put so much work into her the last couple of years and really wanted to see if I could take it out a third year in a row), anyway, that plus hubby's car was in at the paint shop (also missed out on TS and it had received a massive overhall over the last 6 months) and then I had to drive the bluebird :lolcry: that just topped it off. I did the calcs on how long I would be without the car and it works out to the beginning of April, I just didn't think I could go without her for 5 or 6 weeks.

I managed to get on my husbands good side (cost me a G19 Keyboard for valentines day and I asked for NOTHING) and he agreed that I could go ahead with the cheap fix, and book in the major repair job in April.

And it's true, material things CAN make you happy....I've been smiling since I picked up Vixie this afternoon, she's not running the greatest, but she's home...and I've discovered that my Corolla is MY stress reliever.

I had a good chat with Bill at Adelaide Turbo Services, and he's made me feel really comfortable with the big job, he answered all my questions, explained the intricacies of the job.

So bring on April, at least I'll be driving a corolla til then :happy:

well, *shrinks in my chair* i'm actually going to keep it....for the time being (probably for another year), but I've decided the bluebird is getting traded for an IS200, just have to convince hubby of the idea :y:

Yeah keen on the IS200 to replace the rattly Blueballs lol.

Good to see Vixie back on the road the other day have missed driving with her :hmm:

Karl.

Looks like a lot of work will be going into this. I just hope for 4.5G's your gunna get the right amount of power.

Hope my missus car doesnt have to go through this. We just want it to run a little better. Maybe boosting it up

isnt a good idea.

Wouldnt your manifold crack due to higher boost levels and the standard one can't take it??

btw we been smelling like a faint burning smell when the car gets boosted....any ideas?

Still think you should keep the car though. You have been through a lot together and it would be

a shame to see you do all this work and then give it away. :P

Edited by SportivoPSI

Looks like a lot of work will be going into this. I just hope for 4.5G's your gunna get the right amount of power.

Hope my missus car doesnt have to go through this. We just want it to run a little better. Maybe boosting it up

isnt a good idea.

Wouldnt your manifold crack due to higher boost levels and the standard one can't take it??

btw we been smelling like a faint burning smell when the car gets boosted....any ideas?

Still think you should keep the car though. You have been through a lot together and it would be

a shame to see you do all this work and then give it away. :P

I don't think the standard manifolds are crap due to higher boost levels, its just their design. If u ever take off the heat shield, you'll notice a little webing like features between the 4 pipes of the manifold, they tend to fracture around that area and therefore weaken the rest of it and crack right the way around.

This smell you are smelling is it like something is rather hot or actually burning because its natural for them to give off a bit of a smell due to the heat of the turbo. Is it when your driving hard or just cruising? any particular time of day?

Karl.

missus just noticed it after she gave the car a abit going up hill. The tends to be a little pool of oil that sits in the mouth of the turbo.

Had it checked out and all was fine. maybe its that! Smell is deffinately coming from the turbo area though.

I'll take the heat shield of and have a look to see any signs of cracking.

to be honest, i think its just normal heat smell from the engine coming into the cabin through the little gromit where the boost gauge hose goes through :jamie:. Hasnt been too bad lately.

Hey Lesley! Whats new with the car? is going alright now?

Wish you guys lived in melbs, then we could get a good photo of the three :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hey i was just comparing sounds from your to mine. Any reason whys yours sounds like it does's and mine just flutters?

Id be assuming different sounds due to upgraded turbos, but honestly different turbos are designed differently not nessacarily materials, having said that mine "does's: and yours flutters, honestly try a pvc intake and see what that comes out like :bash:

Also lesley, your clutch makes mine feel puncy! I'm devd i didnt buy something worth while :yes:

hello :bash: it's been a while...

those clips i posted up with video and audio are with the old, old, OLD set up, it's changed three times since then! I'll have to get more vid with what it sounds like now and post it up.

nothing really new with the car. I got the cheap fix with a view to getting the whole lot fixed...the money I saved went to the dog... literally! he tore his cruiciate ligament and had to have a major op, I'm actually thinking of taking vixie off the road for a couple of months to give me a bit more time before it dies in the arse, at the moment she's being babied.

Oh! I got in the car today and am ashamed to say there was a SPIDER and it's WEB, running from the windscreen wiper control, to the beginning of the arch of the instrument panel, back over to the steering wheel and over to the vent....

post-1090-1271061929_thumb.jpg

That little blip in the photo is the spider.....I haven't cleaned the interior for a while...*adds it to my "to do" list...

I also picked up the 2 from the crash repairer (again) - thanks Karl for the lift! - so we're back to having three cars, so I can clean out the shed and put the rolla in there while I figure out what to do.

first up I think I'm going to sell the bluebird and put the money I was going to spend on the rolla into an IS200. Then keep the rolla off the road for about 4 months (while driving the IS200 and saving more money for the repairs). THEN I think i'll get the 2 all gussied up and all the electrics fixed and then put the rolla in for repairs...that'll take the rest of this year I think. I'm going to really TRY not to spend money on the IS200, but most likely i'll put in a stereo, tint, uber rims, and then i'll stop i think...

I don't know, i'm not feeling as enthusiastic as I was about the car, and logically I know I should sell it, but i'm too emotionally attached to it. So we'll see.....

KARL: i really liked the old Super HD Clutch from Repco (that was my last clutch) and this one is an exeddy, which is WAY heavier than yours....yours is a girly lightweight clutch...but I don't like the exeddy, but after our conversation today i realise that that's our only option now....

SportivoPSI: I haven't actually wound up the boost, I do have a high setting on the controller, but i don't use it...ever... the standard manifolds on the sportivo's are crap.... with a capital C, this is my 2nd genuine one, AND i noticed the fault after only about 6 months, they're sub-standard pieces of Crap. I have been really careful, with warm-ups, cool downs, and it hasn't made a difference, I DID get it welded up as a temporary fix about a year ago, and it helped a little but it cracked in other weaker places, there's no way around it, I have to get a new one made up and the new one is going to get ceramic coated to help the heat distribute a bit better, I think the extra $200 is going to be so worth it in the long run, i'm also going to get the exhaust housing done too. I was really happy performance wise after the CAI, I'd love more power, but I think: it's FWD (which sucks in the wet), it's only a 1.8lt, and when I want to put the boot in a bit, it gives it, overall it's never going to have the power that my husbands 2 has (although with a quick gear change i can get him!!) and it's a unique, head turning sort of car, so I acknowledge her limitations (and only occasionally call her a lemon!).

EDIT: my engine was replaced shortly after I got it, so the reason my engine sounds different may be because of the age of it???

Edited by SoulSearcher