Go Teh Camry

demuire

still reckon they should gone with a different engine...... say V8.... or even twin turbo 6... a supercharged V6 isnt much power at all, 185KW is as much power as my old mans landcruiser makes.............

like good on em for trying, but they should shoved a V8 or a high performance turbo 6 in it...

Members dont see this ad

yes, well i was talking about drivng it, not looking at it!!! you are correct there red.

BUT after seeing this one in the flesh, it looks GOOD! stop laughing! it really does!

didnt look inside though, but yes the camry dash is disgusting.

and crazy, in a road car hp means shit. its all about torque....

take the bently coupe....

2005_03_08_13_36_40.jpg

its "only" got 400hp.... and weights liek 2800kgs.... but does 0-100 in under 6 sec.... why? cause it has over 800nm of torque..... :dance:

All that Toyota Australia have done to bring out a supercharged Camry is use the TRD kit that has been available in the US for ages. The supercharger is attached to the 1MZ-FE 3.0L V6, not the 2AZ-FE 2.4L inline-4. There are also supercharger kits available for the 1ZZ-FE (Corolla) 1.8L inline-4, 5VZ-FE (Prado/Hilux) 3.4L V6, and 1FZ-FE (Land Cruiser) 4.5L inline-6. None of these kits produce ridiculously large power hikes, so that none of them void Toyota warranties in the US.

In the latest issue of Motor (which I received just today), there is talk of a performance division for Toyota Australia being formed, referred to as Toyota+. If such a division is formed, then I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were to start selling these TRD kits. They probably wouldn't sell the 5VZ-FE kit, as the Prado no longer uses it, and the new Hilux (which dealers are just starting to receive) uses the same engines as the Prado, including the 1GR-FE 4.0L VVT-i V6 (with 6-speed manual!).

What Toyota Australia should really do, is to base the next Avalon on the Prado running gear. This would mean they could use the 4.0L V6 with 6-speed manual and/or 5-speed auto and it could be rear-wheel drive and/or all-wheel drive. It would also be strongly differentiated from the Camry, as it would have a significantly larger engine (4.0L vs. 3.0L) and significantly more power (179kW vs. 145kW). Plus, by being RWD with the option of AWD, it actually has a chance against Falcons & Commodores.

Yet another benefit is that the 2UZ-FE 4.7L V8 from the Land Cruiser could also be used, as the US-market Tundra uses both the 4.0L V6 and the 4.7L V8 with the same transmissions as the Prado. A 282Hp RWD Toyota sedan. Can anyone else hear the sound of Ford & Holden's sales being flushed down the toilet?