Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

5vz Powered Te-31

Featured Replies

Long time toyota fanatic thats new to corollas. I'm looking for some insight...... I've got a very nice TE-31 that is in desperate need for some go fast parts. I'm no stranger to toyotas however I've always been more of a truck guy so this is the first corolla I've pursued as a project.

 

The questions are as follows:

 

Modify my 2TC or install a 5VZ?

Thoughts - my 2TC has an automatic (unacceptable) and its fairly old. To keep it i would need a w50 (might be more work than its worth)

Counter thoughts - Ive owned several pickups and i have 2 5VZ's laying around - including a complete 2wd R150 drive train with all the bits.

 

Despite the weight difference (considering the front suspension) is there any performance reasons this V6 would be a bad swap?

- its a low RPM motor (not ideal)

- lots of torque

- supercharger and turbo options

- nice fitment

 

Would it be sacrilege to venture away from the venerable 2tc and 3tc recipes?

 

--- my general direction for the project----

Something fast for around town and weekend drives; the basic sleeper. I'm not looking for an 11 second car, however, I'd like to stir up the occasional hot rodder.

 

thanks for the insight

sounds good mate, but we need pics lol

  • Author

Ya, I know. Still trying to find a good way to upload the pics. Suggestions???

The TE's are a very rare model in australia, so over here you'd probably be shot for the thought of doing that :yes: But I know that in the US there were a lot more delivered. Maybe combine your manifolds and a 3VZ-FE 3L motor if you want something that'll wind out a little better. But then again, with the right diff gear's it'll probably still be drivable.

 

BTW: You won't have much more weight than a 3SGTE in there with a VZ motor, and the weight will sit further back.

Edited by beerhead

  • Author

Good to know.. Thanks.. The way i see it the TE's are rare over here too; with our disposable lifestyles and all. I spent 4 months looking for the right one (not the most respected vehicle after all).

 

Any wheel size recommendations? I'm having a hard time finding out what fits.

Long time toyota fanatic thats new to corollas. I'm looking for some insight...... I've got a very nice TE-31 that is in desperate need for some go fast parts. I'm no stranger to toyotas however I've always been more of a truck guy so this is the first corolla I've pursued as a project.

 

The questions are as follows:

 

Modify my 2TC or install a 5VZ?

Thoughts - my 2TC has an automatic (unacceptable) and its fairly old. To keep it i would need a w50 (might be more work than its worth)

Counter thoughts - Ive owned several pickups and i have 2 5VZ's laying around - including a complete 2wd R150 drive train with all the bits.

 

Despite the weight difference (considering the front suspension) is there any performance reasons this V6 would be a bad swap?

- its a low RPM motor (not ideal)

- lots of torque

- supercharger and turbo options

- nice fitment

 

Would it be sacrilege to venture away from the venerable 2tc and 3tc recipes?

 

--- my general direction for the project----

Something fast for around town and weekend drives; the basic sleeper. I'm not looking for an 11 second car, however, I'd like to stir up the occasional hot rodder.

 

thanks for the insight

 

 

Do the v6 convo please!!

 

6 cylinders no further forward than the front axle sounds great to me.

 

If you decide to go the T motor search rollaclub for Casanas Racing and you will be blown away by how fast the humble T motor can propel a rolla.

 

All the best...

 

and

 

:yes:

Go from 2TC to 2TG, that way you're getting a more potent beast whilst sticking to the TE theme... But I'm a bit of a purist :hmm:

 

From what I've heard though 2TG's aren't all that common in the states though either so that might be a little difficult.

 

5VZ does sound to be a pretty good convo though, and you're sticking to the Toyota badge, unlike too many people over here that go and stick a commodore v6 into Toyota. To me that's like giving somebody who's 30 a heart transplant except the heart is from a 50yo :yes:

or even better, go one of the new hilux 4.0L 1GR-FE (i think), then maby grab a suppercharger off a TRD lux :yes:

seriously though to be more useful to the OP

 

I'm about to undertake a 3VZ-FE swap into my KE36 (same as TE31).

Would be happy to keep you in the loop with how things go but not going to be moving on it quickly.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.