5vz Powered Te-31

Shooter78

Long time toyota fanatic thats new to corollas. I'm looking for some insight...... I've got a very nice TE-31 that is in desperate need for some go fast parts. I'm no stranger to toyotas however I've always been more of a truck guy so this is the first corolla I've pursued as a project.

The questions are as follows:

Modify my 2TC or install a 5VZ?

Thoughts - my 2TC has an automatic (unacceptable) and its fairly old. To keep it i would need a w50 (might be more work than its worth)

Counter thoughts - Ive owned several pickups and i have 2 5VZ's laying around - including a complete 2wd R150 drive train with all the bits.

Despite the weight difference (considering the front suspension) is there any performance reasons this V6 would be a bad swap?

- its a low RPM motor (not ideal)

- lots of torque

- supercharger and turbo options

- nice fitment

Would it be sacrilege to venture away from the venerable 2tc and 3tc recipes?

--- my general direction for the project----

Something fast for around town and weekend drives; the basic sleeper. I'm not looking for an 11 second car, however, I'd like to stir up the occasional hot rodder.

thanks for the insight

Members dont see this ad

The TE's are a very rare model in australia, so over here you'd probably be shot for the thought of doing that :yes: But I know that in the US there were a lot more delivered. Maybe combine your manifolds and a 3VZ-FE 3L motor if you want something that'll wind out a little better. But then again, with the right diff gear's it'll probably still be drivable.

BTW: You won't have much more weight than a 3SGTE in there with a VZ motor, and the weight will sit further back.

Edited by beerhead

Long time toyota fanatic thats new to corollas. I'm looking for some insight...... I've got a very nice TE-31 that is in desperate need for some go fast parts. I'm no stranger to toyotas however I've always been more of a truck guy so this is the first corolla I've pursued as a project.

The questions are as follows:

Modify my 2TC or install a 5VZ?

Thoughts - my 2TC has an automatic (unacceptable) and its fairly old. To keep it i would need a w50 (might be more work than its worth)

Counter thoughts - Ive owned several pickups and i have 2 5VZ's laying around - including a complete 2wd R150 drive train with all the bits.

Despite the weight difference (considering the front suspension) is there any performance reasons this V6 would be a bad swap?

- its a low RPM motor (not ideal)

- lots of torque

- supercharger and turbo options

- nice fitment

Would it be sacrilege to venture away from the venerable 2tc and 3tc recipes?

--- my general direction for the project----

Something fast for around town and weekend drives; the basic sleeper. I'm not looking for an 11 second car, however, I'd like to stir up the occasional hot rodder.

thanks for the insight

Do the v6 convo please!!

6 cylinders no further forward than the front axle sounds great to me.

If you decide to go the T motor search rollaclub for Casanas Racing and you will be blown away by how fast the humble T motor can propel a rolla.

All the best...

and

:yes:

Go from 2TC to 2TG, that way you're getting a more potent beast whilst sticking to the TE theme... But I'm a bit of a purist :hmm:

From what I've heard though 2TG's aren't all that common in the states though either so that might be a little difficult.

5VZ does sound to be a pretty good convo though, and you're sticking to the Toyota badge, unlike too many people over here that go and stick a commodore v6 into Toyota. To me that's like giving somebody who's 30 a heart transplant except the heart is from a 50yo :yes: