My First Corolla (or Is It Second?)

RedKE30

Finished up my new parcel shelf and bolted the seat belts back up, then put the rear seat back in.

Hey did you make the parcel shelf yourself? out of what? Could you post up some pics and details? mine fell to pieces... Thanks

with the help of some dodgy backyard spec mechanics

3745361867_59ded4cda7.jpg

3746155642_0f07e3dbcf.jpg

:P

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I made the parcel shelf out of 5mm mdf. The shelf in there when I bought it was 10mm laminated particle board. Particle board is a terrible material, do not use it. Go any bigger than 5mm thick in mdf and you won't be able to bolt the rear seat belts back how they came out. I believe 5mm mdf is plenty strong enough, I'm only going to have 6 or 6.5" speakers in it.

I made my new shelf using the old one as a template, then got my dad to cut it with a jigsaw. If you don't have an old one to go off it'll be a little bit more tricky, but I'm sure you can do it. I'd recommend cutting it to the basic shape, being conservative and keeping it bigger. Then just keep test fitting, taking little bits off at a time...the biggest worry you'll have is the protrusion on the passenger side. Be careful as you'll probably scratch this trim.

I haven't done anything else with mine yet, it's still just bare wood atm. I plan to grab some carpet from Clarke Rubber and cover it myself.

I've only got one pic of it, I can grab some more if you want.

Hope this helps mate,

Sian

IMG_1256.jpg

if you use 10mm you can route out the area for the seat belts so it fits.

but..... to make it a perfect fit up against the window like the original ones you need to turn the jigsaw

to cut at an angle.

Hmm...both good ideas, I'll look into that later down the track.

ah yeh i figured i would have to use mdf, i guess i was wondering how to put the bend in it, but i gues ill just skip that step for simplicity. Luckily i still ahve the old one, its only slightly falling to peices.

I wouldn't mid seeing a pic of yours when you get some carpet on and get it in with speakers, or picks of anyone elses redone parcel shelf.

ah yeh i figured i would have to use mdf, i guess i was wondering how to put the bend in it, but i gues ill just skip that step for simplicity. Luckily i still ahve the old one, its only slightly falling to peices.

I wouldn't mid seeing a pic of yours when you get some carpet on and get it in with speakers, or picks of anyone elses redone parcel shelf.

What bend?

There is a slight bend in the original shelf. I thick it kicks up towards the window?

Yep there is definately a bend in mine, easily noticable, and I'm guessing quite hard to replicate. Perhaps the KE55 sedan and hardtop have different parcel shelves? Ill see if i can get away with using a straigh peice, if it worked for you then it shuold for me.

Yep there is definately a bend in mine, easily noticable, and I'm guessing quite hard to replicate. Perhaps the KE55 sedan and hardtop have different parcel shelves? Ill see if i can get away with using a straigh peice, if it worked for you then it shuold for me.

Well AFAIK the remade one in mine didn't have a bend. I've never seen an original one though. Anyone got pics?

The original parcel shelves are just stuck to the shape of the metal, which curves up towards the window.

When we remade mine, we used 10mm mdf for the middle, and 5mm mdf for the ends (so the seatbelts bolt in) and then 10mm mdf for speaker spacers to ensure I had enough height. Then when carpeted you could see the contours of the different levels of the wood. It looks awesome

The original parcel shelves are just stuck to the shape of the metal, which curves up towards the window.

When we remade mine, we used 10mm mdf for the middle, and 5mm mdf for the ends (so the seatbelts bolt in) and then 10mm mdf for speaker spacers to ensure I had enough height. Then when carpeted you could see the contours of the different levels of the wood. It looks awesome

That sounds pretty cool. Got pics?

Well finally we have progress.

The 'Rolla finally went into the shed on the 22nd, after much cleaning and organising.

th_IMG_1500.jpg

Went and bought an engine crane on Saturday from Hare and Forbes machinery warehouse. What a wondrous place that is. On Sunday the engine came out pretty easily.

th_IMG_1508.jpg

Got out the angle grinder and cut the exhaust in two, and out that came as well.

Also, got my Peugeot discs machined by ABS who we deal with at work. Got them to take 7mm off diameter wise, so now they should be good to go with the hilux calipers. Will hopefully get my coilovers this week and I can bolt all that up.

th_IMG_1510.jpg

Cheers,

Sian

• 3 weeks later...

Another Update.

Today i test fitted my spare block with the T-50 attached. Looks like it all works nicely. The engine bay looks huge with only the block in haha. Gotta get Sam_Q around now to make me up a gearbox x member.

th_IMG_1527.jpg

th_IMG_1526.jpg

th_IMG_1525.jpg