Bolt On Wheel Spacers

Hey Guys n Gals

Just wondering if anyone has had experience with bolt on wheel spacers?

I have a set of wheels that i would like to use on my car but they will require wheel spacers

I AM AWARE of the legal standpoint but i'm more interested in the fact that they are actually safe to use, has anyone on here used them? Had any problems?

Cheers in advance - Andrew :cool:

Members dont see this ad

hey mate

i have got bolt on spacers on my rolla

there huge

there really safe ONLY if u use super lock when u put the bolts on and use a torque rench

the only place i could get mine from is wheel works on south rd

280$ for all 4

here is a pic of my rims wid spacers but can't really see them

ps good tip is to paint them black and get black rims

post-6209-1223377659_thumb.jpg

yep, had no probs with mine for a few years now.

just make sure both sets of nuts are tight :cool:

do a quick search and you should find another thread on this same topic that should give you some more people's opinions and replies.

-dave

Not that it matters if I lost you because you aren't the one asking the question! :cool:

In most cases the rim is supposed to centre on the hub, but friction interface takes the vertical load instead of the wheel studs. Spacers compromise the interface between the wheel and the hub centre and don't centre properly.

Older cars often don't use his hub centre (hubcentri) wheel design on the back.

Edited by philbey

i have a set of spacers on my ae90 aswell.. but they a a bit diff to the ones u guys have.. as mine are only 3mm think.. mine just sit on and bolt up tight when u do the noirmal wheel nuts up

no problems as yet..touch wood!!

Cheers Tory

i have the same ones on my 55. except i got like 9mm on both front wheels.

and they shorten the amount of thread to use so I'm thinkin of buyin bolt on's.....

Edited by Palmy

hey mate

i have got bolt on spacers on my rolla

there huge

there really safe ONLY if u use super lock when u put the bolts on and use a torque rench

the only place i could get mine from is wheel works on south rd

280$ for all 4

here is a pic of my rims wid spacers but can't really see them

ps good tip is to paint them black and get black rims

hey mate, can u post up a pic showin the side of ur vehicle (from the front looking to the back)

Not that it matters if I lost you because you aren't the one asking the question! :cool:

In most cases the rim is supposed to sit on the centre of the hub, so the centre takes the vertical load instead of the wheel studs. Spacers compromise the interface between the wheel and the hub centre.

Older cars often don't use his hub centre (hubcentri) wheel design on the back.

Thanks for all the responses guys, It seems that as long as i install them correctly then they shouldn't give me any greif

and as for the centri, the spacers i'm looking at seen to have their own section which protrudes in the centre which i assume is to imitate the factory centri so that part is still sharing some of the load if that makes sense :y:

yeah technically speaking if you use hubcentric spacers that locate on the spigot and also

provide an external spigot for the wheels to locate on with the correct wheel studs and pcd etc

it would be the best spacer method avalaible, as long as the spacers are made from a quality metal.

however to be strong they have to be thick, eg 10mm or so, you wont get ones in 3mm for instance.

as has been said the load is meant to be on the spigot, the studs are there to hold the wheel on.

most cars 70's onwards i have seen have spigots on the hubs front and rear.

but even so they are illegal as far as i know, I'm not sure but you may possibly be able to get them engineered.

in the end if you can help it, get wheels that fit properly first time. also people sometimes only run front spacers

to clear the strut and don't put them on the rear which changes the front track but not the rear track in addition to

track changes overall by wheel offset, not usually a big problem though (running front spacers only).

yeah technically speaking if you use hubcentric spacers that locate on the spigot and also

provide an external spigot for the wheels to locate on with the correct wheel studs and pcd etc

it would be the best spacer method avalaible, as long as the spacers are made from a quality metal.

however to be strong they have to be thick, eg 10mm or so, you wont get ones in 3mm for instance.

as has been said the load is meant to be on the spigot, the studs are there to hold the wheel on.

most cars 70's onwards i have seen have spigots on the hubs front and rear.

but even so they are illegal as far as i know, I'm not sure but you may possibly be able to get them engineered.

in the end if you can help it, get wheels that fit properly first time. also people sometimes only run front spacers

to clear the strut and don't put them on the rear which changes the front track but not the rear track in addition to

track changes overall by wheel offset, not usually a big problem though (running front spacers only).

Yeah i knew that they were illegal but most of the descent looking wheels arould are for the FWD offset and spacers seem to be the only way around it

I found an awesome set of 16x7 Genuine Simmons B45's that would have been awesome but with the $1600 pricetag for rims only, thet aren't a cheap option

I wouldn't reccomend using them.

I've seen way too many accidents and mishaps involving pre-fabbed bolt on and slip on wheel spacers.

IMO, best bet would be to have someone actually machine a set up from billet steel to your specs. Any proper machine shop with a CADmill should be able to work something out for you.

They are the same principle as the type that change your PCD.

off the shelf variants are dangerous and justifiably illegal

I wouldn't reccomend using them.

I've seen way too many accidents and mishaps involving pre-fabbed bolt on and slip on wheel spacers.

IMO, best bet would be to have someone actually machine a set up from billet steel to your specs. Any proper machine shop with a CADmill should be able to work something out for you.

They are the same principle as the type that change your PCD.

off the shelf variants are dangerous and justifiably illegal

Yeah the ones i'm looking at are 25mm thick and billet with the hub centric section so based on what everyone has said, these should be the best of the bolt on spacers i guess :cool: