Ke70, True 1982 Timewarp. Check It Out!

Ben-89

Cheers Matty, Just break up some steel wool into small portions (size of a 10c piece so its more controllable) and polish till your hearts content. Same applies with those pin type clamps too. To finish it off use autosol, eagle one or any metal polish that suits.

My old thermostat housing outlet for the heater pipe snapped off 4 years back. After frantically tracking the same housing as the hi cams differ, I pulled off the inlet hose (which was flaky inside) to the brass pipe off and consequently pulled off those pin clips and replaced them with those wirery looking types so atleast every thing matched to an extent. Now that ive got this il put it on :)

• 1 month later...
Members dont see this ad

Went up to Winton Raceway as a passenger yesterday 28/01, with Paul and his brother what a blast! Was good to see a few Corollas, Coronas, Celicas and Sprinter give some of the bigger cars a run for their money :) Unfortunately no pictures..

Meanwhile I purchased a bonnet protector, its not very exciting but its the first ive seen :P

CopyofS5004853.jpg

Went up to Winton Raceway as a passenger yesterday 28/01, with Paul and his brother what a blast! Was good to see a few Corollas, Coronas, Celicas and Sprinter give some of the bigger cars a run for their money :) Unfortunately no pictures..

Meanwhile I purchased a bonnet protector, its not very exciting but its the first ive seen :P

PIC

Ahh Pauls Ksev is a nice car! Is he on these forums? How many cars were up there on the day? When i went to the fun day in 2010, there was just under 80 cars on the track at once! :blinks:

Bonnet protector looks neat, such a neat clean car youve got there Ben. I don't know how you keep them both so clean.. teach me your ways! lol

Also, just double checking, did you receive my email?

Edited by Subaru_kid

Yeah Pauls is a nice runner, he's on the forums and has commented elsewhere in this thread. His avartar is yellow quadlight ke70. To be honest I don't think there that many cars on the track at once. Probably 30 or under :hmm:

Keeping them clean? A garage helps by far :P

Thankyou so much for the piccies too, I have forwarded to someone with a 92' but they havent check yet possibly. I used to have these wheels.... on an ae82! Ill dig a photo for you.

Edit: Photos of my old ninjastars from Paul too.

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/24805-the-ke70-and-ae92/page__st__15

Edited by Ben-89

• 1 month later...

Hello all bit of an update, I replicated an old sticker that was on my radiator cap from 1982, Nippondenso in English text. The picture will do the talking :y:

Finding an original cap is impossible!

S5004973.jpg

Now after 6 years of being in my possession the ke70 is getting the love it deserves. Over the years she got a few little love taps, scars and two isolated spots of rust above the tail light. While it still presents well it can always be better!

Both front doors have a dent, more so on the front passenger door, the right hand rear wheel arch and quarter panel and also the left hand quarter panel (caused by insecure jack put in the wrong way in the cradle). It sounds worse than what it is! While were at it I still have a brand new boot seal which was for my old ae71, so it will go on once the specs above the light is fixed. The automatic antenna mounted inside the rh quarter panel recess needs to make way so a hammer and dolly can do its job. It makes no difference to the function of the radio and looks like an eyesore so created for it is going to be welded up.

More or less from where the mouldings were down to the sills its going to be blended white, under the rear bumperbar the paint is rather thin so its getting a shot of paint too which will extend down into the lower ares of the quarters. Ive removed the mudflaps and in particular the rears the amount of dirt which I though I had cleaned out was still remenant, after washing the area down with prepsol the area was tidy. The front beaver panel currently black along with the sills have been prep washed and sanded in preparation for a coat of white too.

The current rubstrips are now off. With the help of a heatgun and plastic applicator they came off quite cleanly despite the amount of dirt trapped underneath. I was happy to note the skins under the mouldings were fantastic. Nice and straight, no filler which would come off with the mouldings.

I have acquired some replacement mouldings (originals) which are thinner and the profile is lower, Just much neater overall putting it simply. I'm still chasing some little rubber end caps for the moulds as a few are missing. So this stage only the door moulds and front guard ones will go on. The quarters will be last.

I have probably misssed some things which ill add later.

Liners removed for dent removal access.

S5004975.jpg

S5004976.jpg

Beginning the removal.

S5004977.jpg

All Japan Day 2011.

CopyofS5004683.jpg

Debut at cars, coffee and donuts before its bodywork session.

zccd.jpg

Edited by Ben-89

I noticed you took the stickers and side strips off. Will the black stickers be going back on with the bumper strips? I really liked the look of them, they finished the car off well.

And your old AE82 was immac! low how you keep all your cars stock standard, its refreshing to see them being like that, they definitely stand out from the rest of the crowd even though they have 'nothing' done to them :)

how were the ninjastars like in regards to keeping them so shiny? My gemini wheels get dirty so quickly and i need to polish them every couple of weeks, do you have any tips for keeping them clean apart from the obvious 'stop driving' answer? :P

Nice to have a quick catch up with you on sunday mate, ill see you around.

Thanks gents,

Looking at the car without the moulding or decals dosent cut it for me, it looks

too plain. The rubstrips are a definite and so are the decals, they are what made this car standout out. This time around I wont be replicating what I had on the doors. Reason being the positioning and size of the decal combined with the black sill panels and back front beaver panel gave the car a really high ride look. So with those areas in white and having much larger decals spanning the length of both doors just above the sills it should give the car a normal stance.

Despite mine being an se, therefore having no stripes and strips these are the strips I have acquired from a CS wagon. Thinner with a lower profile.

S5004070.jpg

The decals you'll see when they're on the car!

Glad to see you saw pictures of the old ae82! Not a back thing for high 300thousands on the clock. I just hit the ninjastars with a drill and buffpad and soem cut and polish for the initial clean. After that it was regular polishings with autosol or eagle one alloy polish.

True was good having a chat and checking over your beast on Sunday :)

Edited by Ben-89

Okay this weekend was rather productive, a big thanks to my uncle for the work he's put in so far on the car. As I mentioned in the previous post there were quite a number of dents around the car which to the average person were probably insignificant.... anyway there gone!

Even in the state its in now with the repairs it looks much better. Hammer, dolly, oxy, a bit of welding and shrinking and time and its come so far. The horrible antenna is now gone so there are no external holes, as the original one in the front rh guard was plated many moons ago which I'm leaving like that :y:

In the meantime ive pulled out the tail ligts, boot garnish, rear numberplate and bar in preparation for the paint to be flattened when it gets sprayed at a later date. Then it was just a quick reassembly as the car will be driven elsewhere for the later stages. Again it was the same affair for the front, with the removal of the nasty gloss black paint and lastly the sides of the car right down to the sills were sanded so the paint is flat.

Took the old boot rubber and was suprised with how little rust there was under the rubber, maybe the mile trail length of sikaflex which bonded the rubber to the beaver panel kept most of the moisture out. Then with a blade off came any remailing sikaflex before moving on to the fuel filler recess where the old silastic had perished.

Just need to give the recess a coat of primer before I apply the silastic last.

The following adjustment will be the height of the back passenger door, it dosent line with the front door as the hinges have been tampered with who knows how long ago.....

Picture time.

Welded antenna area in 1/4 panel.

S5004996.jpg

S5004995.jpg

Pretty clean.

S5004994.jpg

S5004997.jpg

Front passenger door..

S5004993.jpg

Left rear 1/4.

S5004992.jpg

Edited by Ben-89

No joke, if I had the patience and commitment you do to cars, it would be a gift from God!

Wow man, I love how even the tiniest bits are done to perfection.

I better make an appearance next time this car is out and about, may just park a street or two away as to not offend RollaClubbers..

Update time...

It was mentioned in a earlier post the rear passenger door was not aligned properly which is true. Now lowering the door and getting the shut lines was reasonably okay with the help of a jack, but a small problem... the pin stripe wouldnt line up with the front door would it!?

After listening to peoples opinions and thinking over the initial plan of keeping the stripes I have decided to remove them permenantly along with the moulds. Removing them was okay albeit time consuming, and the washing up of the glue with thinners made this stage complete.

That was two days ago, today I removed all the door trims and bagged the relevant bits and pieces into groups. Then slowly peeling away the water sheeting in the top corner out came the exterior door handles and a bailey channel on the drivers door as the metal clips were corroding onto the door, I masked up the window pane and belt line of the door and rubbed it back and coated it with 3 coats of etch prime. Luckily it was coming off for the respray anyway so now I'm in the process of getting a cleaner replacment. The front beaver panel I took off and rubbed back and wire brushed on the raditor side as it was oxidised before giving it a good coat of etch primer.

The fuel filler recess is now finished with the final touch of drip check, the repaired areas need a rubdown before the sides, front and rear get the final one again. Then it'll be the masking up time and then paint.

Stripes removed.

zbodywork1.jpg

Beaver panel removed.

zbodywork13.jpg

Passenger mirror removed and in the process of doing the chrome door handles.

zbodywork12.jpg

Drivers side again.

zbodywork6.jpg

Not that you can really tell but the rear door is now aligned :)

zbodywork11.jpg

Its getting there.

Edited by Ben-89