Ke70, True 1982 Timewarp. Check It Out!

Ben-89

Members dont see this ad

Thanks Matt, No matter how clean it is it can always be cleaner :blush:

Started checking a few things which are normally looked at upon rwc.... The windscreen is the same one from 82, pilkington glass emblem as it matches all the correspiding glass. It dosent have the blue tint line on the top its just plain right through. Two or three stone chips but out of main view but it looks acceptable though. Next was the front brake pads which have 70+% pad left, the rear shoes are atleast 1000kms old and the wheel cylinders are probably 2,000 or so.. and the front brake hoses while quite dirty were pretty good after a good clean. The front rubber bushes were cracked so they'll go eventually.

To remove all the years of grime off the lines and front struts some brake cleaner was in order, it cut through all the build up and the struts are like new. Black, shiny, still the Toyota units and the red and yellow tick marks are still on there where the bolts were done up :y: Still not satisified with the wheels off I gave the inner guard liners a good blacking over along with the mudflaps (noting worse than seeing a clean car but its grubby and stained arches :n: ) So with some hot water, car wash soap, tooth brush, larger brush, patience and the other stuff both arches were scrubbed up all bubbly and rinsed to reveal all the white paint underneath in suprisingly good condition, just little things like that really lift the car.

After having a car for so long you tend to rediscover quirky things about it such as through cleaning it to this extent!

Ben, why oh why must your cars be so clean? My dad and I still can't get over it! Never have i seen any car as clean as this in the flesh.

I have a tendancy for looking after my things, perhaps to what youve just seen. Its not

every day you see a standard ke70, particularly a clean one so doing what ive done differentiates it from the majority and engages positive attention/amazement most times its out :)

Oh and have a look at this article, youll love it :)

http://speedhunters.com/archive/2011/08/06/Toyota-corolla-ae86-with-48-original-KMS-found-time-capsule-.aspx

Yes cars in that condition and age really amaze me. But thats taking it too far, they need to be driven too!

Edited by Ben-89

Yes cars in that condition and age really amaze me. But thats taking it too far, they need to be driven too!

Agreed. I also prefer my car to be used, because thats what they're made for. But whenever i do see an older car, like this AE86 and your KE70, in such great original condition it really shocks me, as its the complete opposite to all the rusted out or drift pig condition that alot of these cars are usually in these days

• 2 weeks later...

Not even kidding I'll give you GOOD money for the '92 wink.gif

Love everything you do with cars. Such detail, patience and time spent making sure every little piece is as it should have been back on the production line.

Would you ever consider modifying a car or are you too much a purist to want to get into that sort of thing?

Thanks Sam, well thats me I guess I like things to be clean and I think your on the money about the purist word too :blush: Its the satisfaction you get from seeing what you've done and other peoples recognition which gives me a buzz too.

If I had a thought about modifiying it would be a continous excercise as I'd be constantly changing stuff to match other things and it'd cost big $$. While keeing something stock but near insanely clean pulls the same attention for a fraction of the cost :wink:

And a few new photos from a while back with a novelty plate! Since these photos I replaced the number plates with some black and white for a cleaner look.

S5004557.jpg

S5004553.jpg

If you see one of these come up for sale, please tell me ASAP blush.gif

Miss Bucket more and more each day.

Loving the novelty shots. Should definitely take this thing to car club events and show it off yes.gif

Would be keen to hear the exhaust, the little dumpy tip looks so cute yet as if it was meant to be there.

The right one will surface Sam, If I do another visit down to Kilsyth or there is a meet your most welcome check it out :) Put it this way, for the rwc I put the ridgy didge large box muffler on and you couldnt hear anything as the size so large.

With this unit, while it has all the mounts like an oem type the chamber itself is much much smaller overall. So at idle its got a little rumble and driving it like I do (grandma) at low rpms it sounds good while still being in the boundaries. Its certainly no muffler which you must rev the ring out of to get a note.

There is one downfall, the 3" tip on there stops the hook type hanger from releasing so I can't drop the muffler down if I want to reverse it. I havent looked properly but easiest option would be to remove the tip and tack it lower to the point of clearance.

The novely plates grabbed attention, particularly when parked akwardly on the footpath and sloaping embankment near a pondage and there is a young guy unscrewing plates off a car!

The first good muffler I put on was a walker, (full size) wouldnt mind puting it back on.

S5004159-1.jpg

Second was made by a company called Auspac performance exhausts. (Difference is the chrome tip, but you can see how limited the gap between muffler hook and hanger bracket it when theres a tip there.

S5004383.jpg

Dan, some old(ish) engine bay shots for you :) Need to take some recent ones.

Recently I sprayed some tyre shine on the engine ancillaries so everything is shiny and new looking, Did it after I changed the radiator and hoses. The second pic of under the bonnet shows a paint blisters, with a wire wheel rust coverter, undercoat and gloss paint it came up great.

A while after I took out the grille, painted the badge gloss black, thoroughly cleaned the grille and gave it a few lush coats of clear (refer to novely photos) :y:

S5004147.jpg

Start of the detailing.

S5004157.jpg

S5004163.jpg

Edited by Ben-89

Glad to see I'm not the only person who ran/runs a decent battery in these things. 55amp (correct me if I'm wrong) isn't a lot from the alternator.

Engine bay looks so tidy. Do you find on the EFI models that the airbox is restrictive? Only asking as it's mounted directly over the gearbox and has the battery in front of it.

Definitely keen to have a peep at the car. Ashamed to see it while I'm driving a Commodore though, makes my car look horrible lol.

Glad to see I'm not the only person who ran/runs a decent battery in these things. 55amp (correct me if I'm wrong) isn't a lot from the alternator.

Engine bay looks so tidy. Do you find on the EFI models that the airbox is restrictive? Only asking as it's mounted directly over the gearbox and has the battery in front of it.

Definitely keen to have a peep at the car. Ashamed to see it while I'm driving a Commodore though, makes my car look horrible lol.

The battery pictured in the above photos was an RACV battery,(my replacement from battery world looks the same). It was 4 years old but all I did was take my 15 month old battery from the red corolla and pop it into this. Cranked over straight away when it wanted to though. The starter motor had an issue where the armetur was burnt out so it would be every second crank where it would start. I Let it go for a few months until I sourced cheap starter and had it cleaned and checked over and installed. Now it turns over first time every time.

Regarding the airbox I suppose it has its limitations for some, for me I think its quite good and there is no delay like a carby set up. On my old ae82 if you gave it the berries as soon as those secondaires opened up you were hauling. Its just more agricultural compare to efi where its consistant. While you can't see it but behind the headlight or more accurately the parking light assembly there is a duct which taps in there near the guard to intake the passing air. I have mistakently driven this without doing the airbox clips and its quite loud :blush:. I believe it would be just as restrictive having a pod behind the battery as its drawing the ambient/hot air in the engine bay, the only good would be the sound factor.

A friend of mine who has a red one has the lh guard liner broken/missing, as the air ducting is in the vicinity the intake sound is noticable but not crazy like with a pod. The other advantage of efi is the lack of vacuum pipes valves compare to the carby models if you want to tinker. One thing on this which needs replacing sooner rathe than later is the fuel filter, one of those metal ones that everyone dreads doing. Its still the original one so I'm sure it has 238,000 kms of rubbish in it. I think replacing it should help giving it a little sharper response :)

Nothing to be ashamed of, you have a car which is the main thing. It beats walking sometimes!