How Do You Get Ke70 Calipers And Brake Hoses Off?

eiriksmil

Hiya people.

I've figured you need to remove the brake hose in order to get the upper caliper bolt out. I've loosened the hose at the caliper, and where the hose meets another hose at the strut. But when I try to undo the hose at either connection point, both hoses (from caliper to brake pipe) just start to curl up like into a spring.. Any advice for what I should do? Would be really helpful :'(

Members dont see this ad

You'll have to undo the join between the solid and rubber brake lines first, where it comes through the guard.

Then when you try and get the rubber bit out of the caliper the whole rubber line can untwist itself.

I'd also highly recommend getting yourself a proper brake line spanner. :P They are a 10mm ring spanner with a slit in the ring to get the bundy tube through. 8/10 times it you try and do it with an 10mm open ended you'll round off the head. :'( Here's a link so you kno what I'm talking about.......

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/AMPRO-FLARE-NUT-WRE...A1%7C240%3A1318

the clip? i just tapped it out with a screw driver and hammer, but should be able to do that with just a screw driver.

ive never had to disconnect a brake hose to take the calliper off....? ke70, t-18 and sprinter, can all be taken off without taking the brake line off.

ive never had to disconnect a brake hose to take the calliper off....? ke70, t-18 and sprinter, can all be taken off without taking the brake line off.

It's a late model, I don't know if that means any changes? All I know is that the top bolt won't come out because of the brake hose is in the way. The clip is mounted like someone has just pushed it straight in, instead of turning it and pushing it in from behind. Then I could of course just have used the screw driver and hammer approach.

Yeh you should be able to get the caliper off with just removing the bolt at the bottom and top brake line shouldnt be in the way you only need to disconnect brake lines for taking the struts out then you have to have the pain of bleeding your brakes so try do it withoiut disconnected brake lines

unless someone has really f@$ked it up, theres no reason to undo the brake line to remove the caliper.

with the clip thats been put on the hard way, get a longish flat screw driver, and hook it around the clip and lever it against the strut, or the little holder thingy on the strut.

so your just levering it off, rather than pushing it off, i think that will make sense when you look at it?

and as other people said, you need to under it at the solid point first, as that part rotates around the hard line, so nothing gets all twizzled up

maybe give us a pic to see how f@$ked someone has made it to not be able to get to the bolt haha :D

cheers, andrew

It's the clip at the hard/soft line change that's been put in the wrong way, no space behind there really. I've already drained the fluid, noticed that the outer skin on the soft lines is starting to crack, so I'm replacing lines as well.

There's a garage just down my road, I can just use the handbrake down there. Letting them bleed the brakes.

Edited by eiriksmil

yeah it should pull off, might be hard, might be easy, depening how seized, and how worn the pads and discs are :)

The pads now clear the discs. Enter new problem:

kaliper.jpg

The caliper and shield seem to have a very close relationship. They don't want to be split up, it's almost as they're a happy couple melted together over the years :D