Does A Shift Light Do Anything, Or Is It Just For Ricers?

trav_555

Members dont see this ad

my opinion is that if your car came with one factory standard then don't get one... it looks incredably stupid when you see a nice rolla with dash trash.... if you are going to get one then install it discretly or just get the shift light in a subtle colour ..... get your car tuned to

before i got my tacho dash i had a smaller one with a little shift light tucked under the dash infront of the clock.

the light does come in handy when you have a helmet on as you can't hear the revs as much and you don't exactly wanna be lookin down to see how many squilions of revs its doin..

I agree they are valid. Its easier to use your peripheral vision to know when to change, than to ogle a gauge for a reading. I often turn my digital gauges off at night and just shift by the lights. Ive got one that comes on just before peak and another that comes on when the power stops increasing and you really need to shift, now. The first is orange, the second is red.

Mine are flush installed lights from repco, not big phallic aftermarket dildo things with glowing ends.

how would i go about fitting one to my ke20? the car does not have a rev limiter and when engaging in "spirited driving" i don't know how hard to push the engine. is there a way to put in one of those dual stage lights like LittleRedSpirit mentioned without getting all the other gauges to go with it? (ie. just the lights) i'd like one at the optimum shift and one at max rpm. just so i know what the engine is doing.

A shift light used correctly is a great tuning tool to improve lap times. Set it so it just comes on at the end of a straight, change cornering technique and if light comes on earlier you are going quicker :D Most are wank value though.

yea mad mad, yea the one little red spirit is talking about sounds mad, nah no dildo ones :D

might have to look into something like this that goes soemwhere, will ponder on this muchly

cheers guys, so rice mods do come in handy sometimes ahaha

I have my lights triggered by the ecu. Gotta love Adaptronic. They would work without the Gauges screen in the car, but youd need an Adaptronic ECU.

I believe if you run carbs you just need one triggered by a Tacho or the coil.