Fiberglass

Hi all.

I haven't heard of anyone doing this so I just went ahead and did it without thinking much. Tok me about 2 weeks to compleet without paint but a heap of sanding.

Looks just like the real thing with all the bracing under the bonnet and steel plate inserts to bolt the bonnet to the hinges.

NO MORE RUST.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I'm really sorry but I'm unable to get some pick of my work so far and probably won't bother with the bonnet but within the next month I will do you one betta, a set of steel free, rust free front quater panels.

The bonet, yes was just a prototype but also was not mine, it was a friends and when it was finished I was devo, it looked so good and weighed next to nothing and strong.

so you're gonna make guards too??

i'd be pretty keen on some i reckon.

if they fit well and look good

They will fit the same as the stock ports, the bonet was a perfict fit at all 4 corners but didn't mess around with the bonnet latch part he wanted bonnet pins instead.

At the end of it he stashed $200 in my tool box, picked up the bonnet and said "see ya some other time". Was a bit much just for a bonnet I thought and he did help a lot but I guess he really wanted it bad and its strong too, we droped it off a roof and only chiped a little corner off. Took 20 mins to fix, strong as and light too. Weight reduction too the max.

if fiberglass is illegal(heaven forbid), that would mean all the fiberglass body kits you see on skylines and what not would be slapped with defect notices and told to remove them(in theory)

if you give the fiberglass a nice thin layer of primer/filler then paint it nobody would know the difference :cool:

oh btw what car did you make the bonnet for :hmm:

There is a big difference between a fibreglass body kit and fibreglass panels... Kits may be legal but replacing front quarters and bonnets, I don't know for sure but I think it's a no no.

Surely not. Corvettes are fiberglass and all those Cobra replicas are fiberglass and the new Nissan X-trails

have got plastic front guards. Whats the world coming too if you can't have some fiberglass guards on ya

corolla

These cars are designed and engineered to be structually sound with these panels... I doubt you will be doing this?

I fail to understand your criticism, I see 180sx, silvias and all that jazz driving around with the flared side panels that stick uot like a cherry red dogs nut and they don't get pulled up for it.

My aim is to make a compleet factory looking set of side panels to dodge the rust and weight factor.

The bonnet I made was 99% identical to the original, inside and out and was lined with a heat matt so you couldn't tell them apart.

Panels are designed off of ke-55 parts, the bonnet was a ke-30 bonnet

great idea!!! only thing is that it wouldn't pass rd worthy.

fibreglass bolt ons flairs are illegal in sa cos in the event of hitting a pedestrian firbreglass shatters into splinters and can inflict more damage.

hence the illegality.

although the bodykit argument is a good one. but still ring the rta in adelaide and thats the answer.

maybe different in another state if your worried then ring up for a confirmed answer.

but if they look the goods then no one will know unless they got a magnet handy!

anyways i'll be keen once i'm passed engineering etc.

also quater panels and bonnets have nothing to do with structural rigidity.

have you felt hhow flimsy both panel feel when off the car.?

they need the car to have any sort of strength.

Edited by greenmac80