Unusual Noise

Jason KE30

Hey everyone.

My car has been making a pretty weird noise for quite a long time. It only really happens when i'm decelerating (without brake pressure). And also sometimes when i change gears. It's sounds like a rattling noise but hard to tell where abouts it's coming from. I think it might be the clutch plate is loose or something??

Members dont see this ad
not coming from the diff, coming from the engine. And no it doesn't vary with either engine speed or road speed.

It only happens when i take my foot off the accelerator and let the car slow down.

jack-up the rear wheels and block/put on safety stands. put in gear hand brake off rotate tail-shaft by hand see if there is any play in clutch-spline, tail-shaft splines ujoints, then thy spinning a each wheel by hand, check the rear gearbox mount as well.

no it doesn't vary with either engine speed or road speed.

That's quite unusual, how about a sound clip of it...

It won't be clutch plate, as that is gripped tight when decelerating. Probably a loose panel or cable as the only thing that moves when you decelerate is the engine/g'box/exhaust tilting.

Hey everyone.

My car has been making a pretty weird noise for quite a long time. It only really happens when i'm decelerating (without brake pressure). And also sometimes when i change gears. It's sounds like a rattling noise but hard to tell where abouts it's coming from. I think it might be the clutch plate is loose or something??

Exhaust bracket maybe??bellhousing bracket to u clamp exhaust pipe???

not coming from the diff, coming from the engine. And no it doesn't vary with either engine speed or road speed.

It only happens when i take my foot off the accelerator and let the car slow down.

You be suprised how much noise from a diff can travel up through the drive train and sound like its actually a problem at the front of the car.

Like whats been said, jack it up and check the diff/tailshaft/uni joints, then move on if you don't find anything. :dance:

i have a feeling that it's coming from the bell housing now for sure.

as when the noise comes up i put my foot on the clutch and it goes away, then i take my foot off the clutch and it comes back. could it be the thrust bearing has shit itself??

Edited by Jason KE30

Thrust bearing usually makes noise the other way around- Foot on clutch = Noisy, foot off clutch = quiet.

If it's on deceleration it could be input shaft bearings etc, or some dodgy teeth. When you decelerate the loading changes and you end up with the opposite side of your gear teeth taking the load. Putting the clutch in stops the noise because the load is removed.

Not sure of the specific problem, but the logic is pointing at gearbox internals.

Found the source of the rattle.

I took it down to some mechanic friends of mine where i did work experience a year ago.

Turns out it was the little U bracket that holds the exhaust to the gearbox had a nut missing.

So whenever I would decelerate it would vibrate like crazy on the exhaust.

Worst case scenario diverted :P

Oh and when it was up on the hoist i decided to check everything else out. No sign of rust or any problems anywhere which makes me quite happy :P

Found the source of the rattle.

I took it down to some mechanic friends of mine where i did work experience a year ago.

Turns out it was the little U bracket that holds the exhaust to the gearbox had a nut missing.

So whenever I would decelerate it would vibrate like crazy on the exhaust.

Worst case scenario diverted :P

Oh and when it was up on the hoist i decided to check everything else out. No sign of rust or any problems anywhere which makes me quite happy :hmm:

I was right :wink:

glad i could help!

score 1

Edited by drc_ke20