Lightening Flywheel

crispyke35

Members dont see this ad
Hi all i have a spare 4k flywheel wanting to know how light i could get it machined down.

wanting to get an idea what is a good weight that people have used and what it did for making revs but still being drivable on the roads.

Any info of what others have done and how it went would be great.

Cheers

hey mate here is a link explaining some of this, :P btw use the search function if forums before asking questions. :P

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/?showtopic=26025

hey mate here is a link explaining some of this, :hmm: btw use the search function if forums before asking questions. :wink:

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/?showtopic=26025

Yeah i'd read that topic before and a couple of others. but it didn't really say much about what people thought it did to there cars performance after they lightened the flywheel.

Wanting to find out what people are running and how this affected the engine.

ive heard you don't go faster you go quicker, also it is more dangerous, maybe it would be worth looking into an aftermarket pre lightened flywheel? as there designed to take the stress, where as a machined stock one is 26+ years old and meant to be full weight

you would find a difference no matter the weight you lightened it to

sorry i can't be anymore help

Travis

I made ours 6kg, cost $100- easy to drive with but I can't tell how much quicker as it was an auto and its MUCH quicker with a manual, the flywheel being part of that.

When I fitted a lightweight flywheel to my Altezza I was surprised at how much quicker it was in first and second, right from the time I picked it up. That went from 14kg down to 7kg, so it was very different.

ive heard you don't go faster you go quicker, also it is more dangerous, maybe it would be worth looking into an aftermarket pre lightened flywheel? as there designed to take the stress, where as a machined stock one is 26+ years old and meant to be full weight

you would find a difference no matter the weight you lightened it to

sorry i can't be anymore help

Travis

I made ours 6kg, cost $100- easy to drive with but I can't tell how much quicker as it was an auto and its MUCH quicker with a manual, the flywheel being part of that.

When I fitted a lightweight flywheel to my Altezza I was surprised at how much quicker it was in first and second, right from the time I picked it up. That went from 14kg down to 7kg, so it was very different.

Thanks guys

by the sound of it the old flywheel may be a bit risky to machine down to much. might leave that for a bit longer before i do anything. I'll have a look around for an aftermarket one like you suggested travis. don't want to spend to much so i'll see what happens.

Cheers Jacob

Thanks guys

I'll have a look around for an aftermarket one like you suggested travis. don't want to spend to much so i'll see what happens.

Cheers Jacob

aftermarket lightened flywheel for a K engine will either be coming from japan (or NZ if you're lucky), will be secondhand and anywhere from $400 to $1400 outright + shipping (from all the research i've done on them)

yahoo auctions is where i've found them coming up the most.