Gecko71

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In NSW it wouldnt be TOO much of an issue-

eg.

You can fit an imported LS2 or even an LS7 crate motor to an australian built (not that there are any other kind) VX SS commodore with no major problems with the RTA even though that engine was never fitted to the car here in australia, all you need to do is get a blue slip for the engine number change.

(That was the main jist of their response when questioned about that issue. Thats changing from a 5.7litre to a 6 litre engine, different inductions etc etc.)

Changing to fuel injection wouldn't be a drama either legal wise aslong as it complies with the plated ADRs on the chassis (fitting a later model engine rather than an earlier one)

If it was me, I would most likely do the swap based around the fact that it is an A series for an A series and I really don't see how pear shaped it could go

in the case of insurance, unless it was a massive payout for damages you caused, then they wouldnt bother investigating the engine if it was the same capacity and a similar model

Edited by orangeLJ

EXACTLY what i think!

blue slip is all thats needed in nsw i think, my mate is asking his boss (mechanic) if he would give me the blueslip, i will find out tomorow, if so you will see me driving around in a granny-smith apple green ae71 with flatfront-jdm quads and chrome bumpers and madhouse lip with a jdm bigport 4age inside and jdm t-50 and green p plates on the front on my way to some gymkhana events!! :(

but yea if not you will it same as that on a trailer ahahha :)

ii was half joking lol, stuff getting caught rebirthing cars/engines... couldn't imagine the fine but i'm sure it would come under the title of fraud lol

and yeah sure its legal to swap from 5.7 to 6.0 but then he wouldn't be able to drive it would he ? because its a v8 lol

short in short no you can't drive a vehicle with an engine conversion, regardless of how similar they are or wether not you can use the same engine mounts, you would need n engineers cert therefore it would be modifyed...

A 4ac into a KE70 SHOULDN'T be an issue as the xE7x chassis was available in Australia with either engine.

No xE7x chassis was ever available with a 4AGE in it anywhere in the world though.

As for your specific issue on P's, the only reliable answer is to get it in writing from your road traffic authority.

ii was half joking lol, stuff getting caught rebirthing cars/engines... couldn't imagine the fine but i'm sure it would come under the title of fraud lol

and yeah sure its legal to swap from 5.7 to 6.0 but then he wouldn't be able to drive it would he ? because its a v8 lol

short in short no you can't drive a vehicle with an engine conversion, regardless of how similar they are or wether not you can use the same engine mounts, you would need n engineers cert therefore it would be modifyed...

I was talking more about the legalities of engine swaps without engineering (in nsw) or "mod plates" (in QLD)

But seems he has done the best thing and written to the proper authorities.

G'Day all.

Thanks once again for all the posts.

I have done the proper thing and written to QLD transport,

unfortunately after reading my arguement and discussing the issue with me,

they have concluded that i cannot install a 4A-GE.

Guess i'll just have to wait until i'm on an open license.

Thanks again.

Gecko71.

Bad luck. On the positive side, it will give you the opportunity to pick up all the parts you need over time, which means you will likely get them cheaper, plus you will learn the pitfalls to avoid, and whose advice to listen to on the forums.

According to your theory then the conversion done to my cressida would need engineering in victoria which i was told by SEVERAL people that work in the right departments in vicroads aswell as RWC certified workshops(ones that give them out) that my conversion did not need to be engineered aslong as everything was stock and no cutting etc was done. Not sure why you got told that, and i got told different.

I have been banging on about 4AGE conversions and engineering for a while on two other Toyota related forums. Below is a synopsis of the situation IN VICTORIA which I have previously posted elsewhere. I can't believe the legal situation would be any different in QLD, but as always, the only way to be sure is to have a ruling from your state registration authority in writing.

Although this reflects the situation in Victoria, i would be surprised if the situation was much different in other states.

After seeing the same question a thousand times, I wrote to Vicroads explaining my specific situation in detail, vis that I had installed a 16 valve bigport 4AGE into my ADM delivered AE86. Along with the engine change, I explained that I had also changed over essentially every other part of the car to that fitted in an overseas spec 4AGE engined car, suspension, brakes, fuel system, emissions etc etc.

I explained that I had looked in detail through Vehicle Standards Information (VSI) 8, Guide to Modifications for Motor Vehicles, and been unable to find specific reference to installing an engine available in this vehicle overseas, although ADR's are much mentioned.

To cut a long story short, the answer is YES, if you put a 4AGE of ANY TYPE into an AE86 it requires an engineers certificate to be road legal in Victoria. Obviously this also applies to 2TG's into earlier Corolla's and Celica's, 18RG's etc etc? And of course 4AGE's into xE70/71's and no doubt lots of other Toyota models I know nothing about.

The letter from Vicroads is attached and self explanatory. The highlighting was done by me.

Edit: SORRY, I WILL NEED TO RELOAD THE LETTER TOMORROW. This link is now dead

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...6/vicroads.gif

Whilst looking through the vicroads website for something else last week, I also found this which essentially says the same thing.

"Notifying VicRoads of changes and modifications to vehicles

Change of Engine

1. Replacement engine is identical to the original engine, or is an option allowed by the manufacturer for the same model vehicle

The optional engine must be offered in Australia by the vehicle manufacturer as an option for that vehicle (or certified variants). The change of engine may be recorded by VicRoads provided that the registered operator or a motor mechanic, or dealer in that make of vehicle or an Automotive Engineer signs a declaration certifying the engine is optional for the vehicle model, and that all modifications made by the manufacturer for the same vehicle model with that optional engine, have been completed."

2. Replacement engine is not of a type offered by the vehicle manufacturer as an option for that vehicle or where alterations, or changes to the vehicle's frame or structure are made, and/or specially fabricated supports or structures are used

You will need to attend a VicRoads Customer Service Centre for an inspection of the vehicle to confirm the new engine details. You will also need to complete a Change of Vehicle Description form [PDF 24kb] and provide VicRoads with:

* a VASS Approval Certificate from a VicRoads Vehicle Assessment Signatory

* an original receipt for the purchase of the engine as proof of ownership of the engine

The only way around this is if someone is able to get documentary proof that Toyota did actually bring in a quantity of 4AGE engined AE86's at some stage as often rumoured though never categorically proven.

I for one will be getting my car engineered. What you do is up to you.

Edited by Clown

You'll be driving car's for years with any luck mate, get your suspension tip top, and save up your money and do a killer conversion when you get off your P's :y:

G'Day all.

Thanks once again for all the posts.

I have done the proper thing and written to QLD transport,

unfortunately after reading my arguement and discussing the issue with me,

they have concluded that i cannot install a 4A-GE.

Guess i'll just have to wait until i'm on an open license.

Thanks again.

Gecko71.

Hey. You didnt hear it from me but, All you need to do is hop into vicroads and tell them

"My engine exploded i have replaced the engine new number is (##103KW##)" They will update your details, because your engine number has definately changed, As long as the new engine number starts with 4a there should be no problems, This isnt as easy with poor ke70 guys with the 4k.

Enjoy.