4age Engine Conversion

Teddy

Members dont see this ad

Grim has pretty much covered it. But a few points to add (that probably overlap with what Grim has said):

Crossmember: use the AE71 crossmember, it's bolt in and then you can pretty much bolt the 4AGE in. Failing that it's not hard to cut and shut the original crossmember.

EFI stuff: You'll need to make a new line (5/16) for fuel to engine, use the existing fuel line as a return. Vapour line stays the same. You might want to look into getting a surge tank, but is not essential. You'll need a high pressure pump, look into VL's or similar cars that had external pumps. If you run a surge you'll need a low pressure pump as well.

Exhaust: you *could* use the existing setup, but depending on what you have now it might be a little too small. Most people recommend 2" mandrel or 2.25" press. The small port (100kW) 4AGE is originally a FWD motor, you'll need a RWD exhaust manifold. I have a set for sale, 4-2-1 extractors with a plug for the EGO (somthing a lot of other extractors I've seen don't have)

Gearbox: You'll need a T50, you'd be looking for one out of an AE71 or AE86. Then you need clutch slave and master, you can use the ones out of the above cars. You can use the existing flywheel/clutch out of the 100kW.

Engine: The engine is originally FWD, so everything is the wrong way around. You can go the big adventure and source a RWD water pump etc and convert it to a RWD engine, or you can just run lots of pipes. Up to you. Intake manifold you can't really run the RWD manifold (well you *could*, but I wouldn't) because it had TVIS and was a sligthly different design - probably not suitable for the small port. Get the original small port manifold cut and shut, if in doubt give Anthony Kellam a call, he can help you out. You can use your existing 4AGE starter motor as well.

Wiring: Have fun. Shouldn't be too hard, just time consuming. Try to get a complete loom, makes life easier.

Cost: Depends really. For a guide I got my engine for $800, this included new seals, timing belt and the intake manifold cut and shut. Steel fuel line is a few bucks a meter, no big deal. Rubber fuel line so far I've spent about $70 in hoses and clamps, and I'm not finished yet. Surge tank was $60 (second hand). T50 mine (out of a TA22 Celica) is stuffed, prices vary significantly. I got mine for $40, you get what you pay for... Umm... Clutch slave and master were $60 (new). Cutting and shutting my crossmember I did, so no cost there. Umm... Wiring I haven't even looked at yet, will try to do as much as I can myself.

Hope that helps.

wow - thanks every 1 for ure help - sounds like a future-ish plan for my rolla :) :D :D

I got my new 1 today - basiaclly for starters it will be getting the road worhy, small rust fixed - spray etc - making it a good first car. Then when the cash comes in - the ... Extras will come in as well :ninja: :spam:

you rippa - i got some bad news tho - the chocolate slize isnt going to plan - we don't have the ingredents, and no 1 is willing to drive me down to get the stuff ... oh well - ill see if i can pick up something on the way up - chockie slice next time... :)

... :D

- ill be there for 9:30 if u like -

cheers, have a good evening!

Oh as i told ure bro on msn b4 - we could be moving house (COULD) so within 2 weeks when my new rolla is back out my house , ill see what I'm keeping, getting from other car - then that rolla is up for sale.(the old 1) - As a hole car, its goin gto go out dirt cheap - i might even give it away for free - what eva happens, soon there will be a ke70 on the market (70 - 80% of parts). Any offers

Cyas all

I like that idea. hmmm.. not sure if it will be 2 morrow tho - moght not b able to get parts up there.

It would be much easier if i droped them off at ur house in aspley - sound ok? or would u like them up at burpengary

ur call, but i don't think i could do the parts up at burp 4 2 morrow.

• 2 years later...