On To Some Mechanical Questions 3tc

Hey me agian... I'm in the USA like i have stated befor... not much info out there for my car nor parts... have a JW

1. Is the 4age tranny the same as the 3tc trannies? (need to rebuild my shifter)

2. My 3tc/ 5speed feels extremely sluggish for what is done to it... it has a Weber carb, mild cam, full exhaust w/header... or am i just blessed with a slow engine? The rx7 rearend might be geared improperly?

3. Will ae86 struts up front fit my 79 chasis?

Jw because site will sell stuff claiming it will fit a 79 corolla but not a 78 chasis... i thought they were identical

answer these and my life will be complete ;) :D

Edited by hotdoghogie

Members dont see this ad

Gidday Mr Hogie, or may I call you "HotDog"?

... always nice to start with a pleasantry I find :y:

> 1. Is the 4age tranny the same as the 3tc trannies? (need to rebuild my shifter)

Unfortunately, I don't know ... maybe someone else will be able to help.

You may need to provide more info - particularly as the 3TC is non-original in your chassis.

As you've indicated elsewhere that you have the KE30, I'm going to assume that the car came with a 3K originally. If that's the case (ie. not the T or 2T motor) then the transmission you have is also non-original.

If you know the donor car for the gearbox, that may be helpful. I don't know whether it's the same with the T boxes, but K boxes have different extension housings on them so knowing what it came from gives extra information that may be useful.

2. My 3tc/ 5speed feels extremely sluggish for what is done to it... it has a Weber carb, mild cam, full exhaust w/header... or am i just blessed with a slow engine? The rx7 rearend might be geared improperly?

I haven't driven a KE30 with a 3T, but I know people who have and they generally seem to think that they "go OK". I don't know what you're basing your assessment on, but that might be helpful to know too! What's it sluggish compared to? Give us some benchmarks we can relate to ... In my experience (4K with extractors (headers) in a KE25, and 4AC with DGV in an AE71), I'd think a 3TC in a KE30 should be "a heap of fun".

RX7 rearend? Please explain ... what diff ratio? What sort of revs is the engine doing at, say 40 mph? (which translates to 64 kph for us in metric land) Do you know why an RX7 rearend has been swapped in? I would've thought that a bit of overkill - maybe not ...

Short answer: "I don't think so".

Long answer: "yes, but not without some work".

I seem to recall that they are a different length, the steering knuckle has different mounts and the KE30 tie-rod end doesn't fit the AE86 knuckle.

I think the stub axle is the wrong angle too and you finish up with +ve camber.

Maybe someone else can give more help.

If you haven't already done so, have a look in the FAQ (there's a link at the top of the web page) for a summary of the common knowledge as it applies to strut upgrades.

Jw because site will sell stuff claiming it will fit a 79 corolla but not a 78 chasis... i thought they were identical

I have no idea what you mean! What do you mean by "Jw" ??

A 1978 KE30 should be exactly the same as a 1979 KE30 ...

answer these and my life will be complete :P :hammer:

Then you have a little while to wait then!

good luck :y:

Slapper

Edited by slapper

Hi

I thought all usa k serires corollas came with at least a 2t ,hence te corolla

Yes the t50 will bolt up to 4age with change of bell houseing.

86 struts I'm not sure .The 78 79 chassis thing, can't see any difference in the ones i have.

Check your manufacters plate in engine bay may give you some clue what it was built with

eg engine ,trans,diff .

cheers rob

Edited by corollaart

hmmm benchmark.. my prelude ran a 16.1 in the quater miles... and that was plenty quick enough for what i was doing with it

i have a slight knocking noise within the motor... put thicker oil in it toi help i believe it might be a rod... :/. but i have seen many fix these motors up and do some amazing things with em. but my car is about 35k rpms at 70mph or 113kph

also the engine vibrates much more then any other cars i have owned... would a rod knock throw the engine off balance?

hmmm benchmark.. my prelude ran a 16.1 in the quater miles... and that was plenty quick enough for what i was doing with it

and the KE30?

i have a slight knocking noise within the motor... put thicker oil in it toi help i believe it might be a rod...

time for a rebuild :hammer:

at least check it out and eliminate the knock ... knocking's never good :y:

but my car is about 35k rpms at 70mph or 113kph

also the engine vibrates much more then any other cars i have owned... would a rod knock throw the engine off balance?

35,000 revs per minute? Holy shit! that's not a car, it's a spinning top!

Oh, I crack myself up! Actually, I don't really ... that joke was sad and pathetic - it must be morning and I haven't had coffee yet :y:

3.5k at 110 sounds okay - I know my 4WD van does that at about 100kph. i have no corollas on the road at the moment, so I can't check one of those ...

I'd say maybe you motor might need at least a tune up ...

cheers,

Slapper

Hey me agian... I'm in the USA like i have stated befor... not much info out there for my car nor parts... have a JW

1. Is the 4age tranny the same as the 3tc trannies? (need to rebuild my shifter)

Yes, both should use the T50 box. there will be a few differences. Probably a different clutch, different output spline, different bellhousing, maybe a different set of ratios for 1st, 2nd, and 5th gears. The part you asked about, should be the same, the shifter.

Do a compression check. Pull one lead at a time off in turn, and if removing one or the other results in no difference in movement, youve probably got a miss on that cylinder. Pull the plugs out, and have a look at them. You can tell a lot about whats happening in there by what colour or residue is on the plugs. The motor and gearbox combo you have goes pretty well with 3.9 or 4.1 gearing in the diff. Thats what they had here in australia. We got a car called a T18 with the same driveline here in aussie land. Make sure all the basic things are going properly. Are all the pulleys tight? Are the engine mounts still solid? Sometimes they go floppy or crack. Is the tailshaft balanced properly?

No idea what chassis you have, you need to call it by the model number, eg AE71, KE70, TE71, TE55 if you want any specific help, photos would help too. If its a Xe7X chassis, you will be able to fit AE86 struts with ease. You will need everything from the steering arm to the top spring perch. You should use the strut tops that came with your car installed on top.

answer these and my life will be complete :y: :hammer:

o yeah forgot to mention ke30... ok so this is all answered... the #4 cylinder when unplugged doesnt make much of a difference and i have done this check a while back...

the noise and all i think its time to get a new motor.... maybe this one is shot.

its got great lowend but anything after 3.5k ish rpm then it just becomes a rattling noise maker that goes absolutly nowhere

thanks for all the info guys... looks like i will be saving up for a set of pistons or contacting BRD racing

Edited by hotdoghogie