4k-c (1.3) Engine Recon

Teddy

Hey all

Just a q,

How long would it take to take out the 4kc motor, recondition it and put it back together and back into car?

Also, what parts to u need and how much aprox do these cost?

Thanks 4 listening - ive had nothing but good responces so far, thanks eveyr 1!!

Ted

Members dont see this ad

The heads are different from memory to compensate, I don't think compression was changed. I think the heads were shorter? You can tell them apart from the PCV valve on the back of the tappet cover (I think the dished piston one had plastic valves, others have rubber ones?) and the dished ones have a sticker on them about the spark plugs (if it is still there). Something like that...

Umm... yes I suppose in theory that is true, if you used flat top pistons in a dish top engine you'd probably get higher compression - don't know if this is possible though. I'm sure I once knew, but I've forgotten and I wasn't paying much attention anyhow because I knew I was going the 4AG train of thought...

well- enogh brain wondering for me, i don't have enough doe to change anything mechaal at this point - getting the car on the road and the small repairs here and there to get it to that point take prioity for me and my litle bank account... theres use doing up a car which wont be driven..!

• 1 month later...

I have rebuilt the motor for my KE70 wagon, and just give you an idea of some prices.

All up I spent $360... That's rings, pistons, timing chain, full gasket kit, oil, filter, coolant and fuel filter, plugs and points.

Full Gasket Kit 4k-c $70

Full set of rings 2mm, 2mm, 4mm $80

New pistons including pins $150

Timing chain $14

The price of a full rebuild kit for a 4k is about $460.. includes everthing above and bearing as well.

Built the motor at home, put it in last night and got it running today. Also got a very lumpy cam in it too (not sure on what specs it is, but it is huge :D), and a match ported 3k head, with the big port inlet manifold, weber 32/36, genie 4 into 1's, 2" exhaust

Hope this helps

:) :) :D

hey hey......just thought i'd add my 2 cents.....cha ching!!!

i'm in the process of rebuilding a 5k engine for my rolla with a genuine 3k big port head.....aparently it was one that was made for the british rollas....it hasnt been ported out at all, its still got the casting marks on the inside of the ports...but it is MUCH bigger.....the price for doing up this head is going to be $450 for new everything more or less......and to port and polish it....thats right i'm going to port it out bigger again.....:D:D

but to rebuild the engine itself its gunna cost me about $700 including boring out and new pistons....so thats another idea for ya....only bought the engine for $50...

:)