Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

5k Solid Lifter Conversion

Featured Replies

I wrote this on an 2 year old thread a few minutes ago, but since it did not relate to the thread title, i thought i would start a new one.

 

Soooo...

 

If i am running a 5k Block and head, with toyota 3F (Toyota KM36RV-JR,Part No. 13751-61020) solid lifters, will the A12 pushrods be the go....depending on the post height of my 4k rocker gear?, Is there more than one length of A12 pushrods?

 

If i put up a pic of my 4k rocker assembly, can someone tell me whether it's the tall or short version?, or can someone give me some measurements or a way to tell them apart, as I'm having difficulty finding 4k rocker assembly post height measurements on the net.

 

"I have some solid lifters that will suit your 5K block but you will need to change to a flat tappet cam from a hydraulic cam", This was said earlier in the thread, to change to a flat tappet from a hydraulic cam...how do i do this?, is it simply a process of when i take in my 5k cam for a regrind (Tighe 104), i tell him that i want it ground for a solid lifter instead of a hydraulic?, or... Can i replace my hydraulic lifter 5k cam with my solid lifter 4k cam?, will this be a DIRECT swap?

 

Help :lol: :hmm:

Edited by HarlemSessions

Both of the different types of rocker pedestals (early alloy, late cast steel) sit the rocker shaft at the same height above the head.

 

Yep just get your cam reground to solid specs.

 

I run gutted hydraulic lifters in my 5k (5k head), with 3k pushrods (early shorter bigport type) and 4k rocker gear. Cost=NOTHING. :lol: Still running great going on 5 years now. The valvetrain is good for over 8500 RPM with holden double valve springs.

 

Makes me laugh when I hear the effort and expense some go to converting a 5k to solids.

Edited by Felix

  • Author

Sounds good to me.

 

Is there a specific reason for which you run 3k pushrods?, do you have any spare that you want to throw in with the carby young Mr Felix :hmm:

 

What did you do to run said gutted hydraulic lifters?, I read this previously but am having trouble finding it.

 

I'm building up another K motor for my brother and decided to try a 5k this time (though i might keep it :lol: hahaha)

 

Cheers

Edited by HarlemSessions

The quick and dirty solid lifter conversion:

 

My hydraulic lifters had the circlips removed and the guts emptied out. The pushrod seats were dropped back into the bottom of the lifters effectively making them solids.

 

3k (early shorter bigport type) pushrods fit nicely with the 4k adjustable rocker gear, though were just a touch too long. The tappet adjustment screws only just tapped the underside of the rocker cover, which I clearanced with a dremel and 5 minutes of spare time. Note I am running a 5k head.

 

Actually thinking about it, I'm running a tighe 113 cam (400 thou) which has the same timing specs as a 104, but with slightly less lift. The 104 cam with 423thou lift "might" have issues with 3k pushrods, needing shorter K (1077cc) pushrods to make things run harmoniously. There is only a half mm in it at the valve (between the 2 cams) so it may very well be a non-issue.

 

I think ideally the oil gallery to the lifters in the block should be restricted/blocked, but I never got around to it. Never had any oil pressure problems at all, but I did shim the oil pump bypass spring approx 3mm to up pressure when I put it all together.

 

I'm not sure if I have any spare full sets of 3k pushrods here. I'll have a look this evening when I find a box to pack up your carb stuff. :lol:

Edited by Felix

90% relates to the topic, but has anyone had any troubles with the 5K hydraulic lifters? Planning to SC the 5K and wont see near 8,000rpm.

90% relates to the topic, but has anyone had any troubles with the 5K hydraulic lifters? Planning to SC the 5K and wont see near 8,000rpm.

 

Coln72 swear black and blue by hydro's. And from memory he has a cam and nudges 8000rpm at motorkhana's etc.

Whats the difference between the 3k , 4k cam and a 5k cam? what is changed to make them compatible for solid or hydro lifters?

to run the 5k factory solid lifters (3F) you need the pushrods from the 4ke (if your using a 5k twin squish head) or standard 4k ones if your running the O dished pistions and matching head

to run the 5k factory solid lifters (3F) you need the pushrods from the 4ke (if your using a 5k twin squish head) or standard 4k ones if your running the O dished pistions and matching head

What's a twin squish head?

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.