Suspension... Everyone Has Already Asked!

tbo92

basically i cut the old mounts off the crossmember made new ones welded them on, had to cut hole in floor for shifter (it move back quite alot) had to reinforce the area round the shifter cause the bit you cut is strength for the car lol

and also cut the rad support and made it removable to get engine in and out, havent tryed taking box out yet, always take motor and box out at the same time

bashed the tunnel a tiny bit just ot make it easyier to get in and out but you don't have to

Members dont see this ad

Ok guys!

The rear is sweet as! loving it such a straight, tight ride.

however! the front, i need to know - i would like 450lbs superlows...

any idea where i would get these made??

thanks in advance again :)

however! the front, i need to know - i would like 450lbs superlows...

450 lbs (that's 8 kg/mm) ... holy crap !! :) What did you finish up doing to the back that makes you want it that stiff at the front?

I'd have though that, whilst suspension that hard might still handle better (ish) than stock, it'd be a long way from "good" handling

on the street.

I think you'll need to find a spring maker up your end of the world ... I doubt whether anybody's going to have that stock.

cheers,

Slapper

Edited by slapper

Waaaaaaaaaay too stiff for a daily. Stiff doesn't mean effective. You need movement in the spring, to work with the dampers to provide a means of keeping the car connected to the ground. Too stiff and the car skips over bumps, therefore, car isn't connected to the ground, therefore steering and brakes aren't as efficient. Softer springs and good dampers mean that the car rides over the bump allowing the wheels to stay connected to the black (or brown) stuff.

Listen closely here to Uncle Dwarf: More isn't necessarily better.

I have a 55 Hardtop which had 200lb fronts in it, and won the Silverstone Kilcoy Road Rally outright. My tarmac set-up in the 25 has 225lb springs in it.

Anyone that says you need heavier has never driven a truly well set-up car.

Don't skimp on shockies. You get what you pay for. A pair of $200 shocks may sound expensive, but when you compare it to Bilsteins or Konis, they're pox. When you compare Bilsteins and Konis to Pro-flex or MCA or Ohlins, they're now only good enough to hold open a tailgate. Buy the best you can afford.

Don't believe all you hear on forums, go and talk to some professionals in the matter. Be prepared to spend money. You'll thank yourself for it.

well in the back, i have had the springs set 3" lower and had an extra leaf put in.. just waiting for them to return! (thank got for spares!)

and well, for the front i was going to go coil overs.. i do really want it tight as i live up the hills and go up and down up and down and the corners.. are extreamly tight!

so.. maybe 300 - 350lbs? if that is sounding more plausable?

... so many questions..

i just need someone to give me a straight answer :)

someone tell me.. what shocks to buy, what springs.. what else i need .. brands lol..

(not asking much i know :))

thanks guys!

personally i'd say 300 would be about right for a all rounder(as in goes to the track sometimes), i think the point the guys were getting up there is stiff springs are no good without the speed and momentium to get them to move, i.e 8kg will have crap grip on bumpy roads at 50k but have good grip hitting a corner at 180k on a smooth surface with grippy tyres

if i was you i'd prob run some trd ae92 inserts,if they fit in your casings(maybe too fat), shorten the casing to get more travel, some rcas's to bring the arm back down, think there about 1400/550nm valving

and don't forget to do a dry run (no springs) to set correct bumpstop height so your wheels don't contact anything under extreme loads

as for premade "superlows" i think your only option in such extreme spring rates are TRD for ae86, they go upto 8kg i believe, but i don't know if they would give you the height you desire

personally i'd say 300 would be about right for a all rounder(as in goes to the track sometimes), i think the point the guys were getting up there is stiff springs are no good without the speed and momentium to get them to move, i.e 8kg will have crap grip on bumpy roads at 50k but have good grip hitting a corner at 180k on a smooth surface with grippy tyres

if i was you i'd prob run some trd ae92 inserts,if they fit in your casings(maybe too fat), shorten the casing to get more travel, some rcas's to bring the arm back down, think there about 1400/550nm valving

and don't forget to do a dry run (no springs) to set correct bumpstop height so your wheels don't contact anything under extreme loads

as for premade "superlows" i think your only option in such extreme spring rates are TRD for ae86, they go upto 8kg i believe, but i don't know if they would give you the height you desire

Thanks of the post! your wealth of knowledge from all astounds me.

I have been talking to a Gent here on the forums, who is going to be be nice enough to send me a set of R31 skyline front coil overs, control and steering arms etc...

I think i have a winner!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks of the post! your wealth of knowledge from all astounds me.

I have been talking to a Gent here on the forums, who is going to be be nice enough to send me a set of R31 skyline front coil overs, control and steering arms etc...

I think i have a winner!!!

is there any springs we can get from another car that should make a stiffer ride on the front? and bmw e30 shockers for the rear and 2 more leafs?

• 2 weeks later...
is there any springs we can get from another car that should make a stiffer ride on the front? and bmw e30 shockers for the rear and 2 more leafs?

Yeah, EB Falcon Rear "LOW" Springs

then cut to the height you want.. makes them 7KG VERY STIFF!

Cut springs in road car = bad.

What if they captive? i know cut springs is bad period... but the main reason ive seen is that the spring don't hold captive... i have 2 and half coils cut on my celica struts, and the spring is still captive.

But am ordering some KYB short stroke shocks, and possibly some 5 or 6kg springs.

What if they captive? i know cut springs is bad period... but the main reason ive seen is that the spring don't hold captive... i have 2 and half coils cut on my celica struts, and the spring is still captive.

But am ordering some KYB short stroke shocks, and possibly some 5 or 6kg springs.

Real custom made springs are better. Lots better. Worth waiting a little longer to save up the extra cash or stumble across some forgotten ones.

Hey Guys, I'm back - i have finnaly ordered some Coil Overs for the front, i have taken the dive and spent just over $1400 for them to be custom made (don't ask for set up yet lol, they did it i have no idea!

i just said.. low stiff and adjustable)

what i want to know is...

will i fit

17x7 under the rear of my ke55? and front? i am aware that i may need to roll the guards and flare them too possibly, but i want to know for sure what to do!

cheers

http://www.xxrwheels.com/sportmax_507_W.shtml

p.s them be the wheels i want!