Info On Diff's

rad32

hey all...

just about to drop a CA18det into my ke70..

now the stocko diff aint gonna cut it soo..

will a T18 diff bolt right up?

will it handle the power? (150kw)

will the stock drum brakes fit on?

whats a better idea to do?

what about hilux diff?

what model do i need?

something that wont give me more track!

cheers in advance!

Edited by rad32

Members dont see this ad

T 18 will work it is either a series 1 or series 2 diff that you need. One of them bolts straight up and someone else will know.

T 18 diff will work with that amount of power but as always it depends on what you use it for and how hard you drive. For instance I had a Sprinter with a CA in it producing about 180rwkw and it was ok. It whined like an old lady all day long but never let go. I did not give it a hard time with hard lauches, clutch kicks and sliding but I still had fun with it and drove it hard once moving and coming on boost etc. Most of the time the tyres gave in rather than the diff :D If you do not have any mechanical sympathy I am guessing the T 18 diff will not be for you.

The brakes etc on T 18 will all work with your car. If you get the right series it will just be bolt in and away as I understand.

If you plan on giving the car a decent hard time you would be best going to Hilux Diff. My mate has in his SR KE and gives it an absolute flogging and it has not let him down. He was previously using stock KE diff and is now a gun at changing axles and diff centres in record time. :yes:

If you do not want to ever have to worry about it go the Hilux. A fair bit more work and money but less working on the car all the time :jamie:

Info coming from Fat Bastard Customs,

81-95 Hilux diff is the right length AFAIK (81 definately) Its just a matter of what ratios u want. From memory they range from around 3.7 to 6 something.

Other than that there is various brake upgrades u can run (I have a write up on a supra brake upgrade and i know that craft diffs do a braket to run R31 calipers and diffs) and weather you want to run an open center, LSD, Locker or air locker. Lsd's seem kinda hard to get (ones that work anyway) and air lockers are expensive but there is a 4WD company that does a form of soft locker for them that works quite well apparently (if you ring otomoto in ingleburn (NSW)and ask for grant he should be able to give you the details on the soft locker, they put one in a sprinter a few years back).

I think even the narrowest Hilux diffs will add a small amoutn of track, Ive heard 30mm a side but i cannot confirm this as Ive not done it myself. Just make sure you use an F series Hilux diff so that you can use aftermarke tlsd centres made for the lexus Is200 altezza. I think you might find you can buy spools for them too if you ask around at auto parts stores.

sick...

u know how much a and what hilux diff i need?

You really don't want to do much thinking or searching yourself hey??

I found a RN41 Diff at Just Wrecking Toyotas a while ago, they had two there. Give them a call, go down and measure it and ask how much. I can't tell you my price coz I get family rate as my brother works there but I think they said they sold one for about $300 not long ago. Personally I think that is a bit of a rip as it is a 20 year old diff but ring them anyway.

PS someone is selling one in the FS section at the moment, but it is interstate so the freight might kill the price.

As a rough guide I would think you would need to budget about $1000 for this diff conversion. It is not only the cost of the diff, but modifying the diff linkages, etc to make it work.

There are a few different Hilux diffs around.

RN2* = 1370mm width.

RN4* = 1410mm

>RN4* = wider again.

ALL HILUX DIFFS ARE G-series.... except for newer model hiluxs, which use the even bigger A series diff.

IIRC, the stock KE70/AE71 diff width is around 1400mm, so the early model RN2* hilux diff is too narrow. Furthermore, the RN2* diff is also extremely rare, and very sought after by RA2* celica owners. Also, fitting torsen LSD centre (such as tru-trac, etc) doesnt work well with the early model RN2* diffs, as you need to do a lot of modifying to make the torsen LSD centre fit.

RN41 or similar RWD hilux diff is the one to go for, if you REALLY want a hilux diff. You should be able to fit a torsen LSD centre without any dramas, and the width is very close to the facory AE71/KE70 width.

Personally - with just a CA18, i would recommend an F-series diff, from a Crown or Cressida. These are still quite strong, but a LOT lighter than a hilux diff (READ: unsprung weight is bad kiddies!)..... also, IS200 type-2 torsen LSD diffs bolt into F-series diffs apparently, so its easy to upgrade an F-series to LSD with a nice ratio (3.9 or 4.1).

Getting a decent G-series egar ratio is harder, as most hiluxs run 4.3:1 ratios, which for a corolla is mentally short IMO.

I hope that helps.

I think even the narrowest Hilux diffs will add a small amoutn of track, Ive heard 30mm a side but i cannot confirm this as Ive not done it myself. Just make sure you use an F series Hilux diff so that you can use aftermarke tlsd centres made for the lexus Is200 altezza. I think you might find you can buy spools for them too if you ask around at auto parts stores.

A four wheel drive auto shop would be the place to try. Like, ARB and the such. For me if i was to go for a locker i'd be steering to an ARB air locker, little more in the cost then a full time lock/spool or a part time locker (eg: Detroit truetrac or a soft locker, etc) but you have the option of when you need/want the diff un/locked.

But also as i've found out - the earlier hilux is weaker then the later version.

If your really after strength maybe look at a Dana 60. Pee's all over the world famous ford 9"

There are a few different Hilux diffs around.

RN2* = 1370mm width.

RN4* = 1410mm

>RN4* = wider again.

ALL HILUX DIFFS ARE G-series.... except for newer model hiluxs, which use the even bigger A series diff.

IIRC, the stock KE70/AE71 diff width is around 1400mm, so the early model RN2* hilux diff is too narrow. Furthermore, the RN2* diff is also extremely rare, and very sought after by RA2* celica owners. Also, fitting torsen LSD centre (such as tru-trac, etc) doesnt work well with the early model RN2* diffs, as you need to do a lot of modifying to make the torsen LSD centre fit.

RN41 or similar RWD hilux diff is the one to go for, if you REALLY want a hilux diff. You should be able to fit a torsen LSD centre without any dramas, and the width is very close to the facory AE71/KE70 width.

Personally - with just a CA18, i would recommend an F-series diff, from a Crown or Cressida. These are still quite strong, but a LOT lighter than a hilux diff (READ: unsprung weight is bad kiddies!)..... also, IS200 type-2 torsen LSD diffs bolt into F-series diffs apparently, so its easy to upgrade an F-series to LSD with a nice ratio (3.9 or 4.1).

Getting a decent G-series egar ratio is harder, as most hiluxs run 4.3:1 ratios, which for a corolla is mentally short IMO.

I hope that helps.

I stand corrected. Thats right, it is Cfrown that has F series, Ive seen cressidas with both F and G series before.

Ke70 diffs are 1410mm wide. So the RN4x seems like the pick. Id still go f series over the G for your application. For the above reasons.

• 5 weeks later...

lol..... bend over and be prepared for the arse reaming of your life.

My volvo diff (Dana 30, 27 spline), with Detroit Trutrac torsen LSD centre, twin piston disc brakes, and all the mounts welded to suit my KE70 will probably end up costing similar to what you will need to spend to get an LSD centre for your T18 diff.... and you'll still have puny weak little axles and drum brakes.

I wouldnt have wasted my time with the pissweak T series diff. They are designed to go behind a 100HP 4 cylinder engine, and even thats pushing their limits IMO.

Have a look at this thread on toymods about using the Volvo diff from a 240. They are actaully a Dana 30 diff, and f@$kING strong.

http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1362

Edited by the witzl

i would try to find yourself a used/2nd hand TRD, cusco, kaaz, etc T series LSD.

The problem you are going to then have is do you have the correct T series axles? There are two sizes, and most LSD T-series centres are for the larger size axles, which are quite rare and iirc are NOT the axles in the T18 diff.

personally... id sell the T18 diff, and do the job properly with a much stronger diff.

Here's an idea:

Grab an F series diff from an MX13 or MX23 corona, drum to drum, with centre and 4x114.3 stud standard = $200

get mounts welded to suit KE70 = $450

Get LSD diff centre from MA61 supra = $250

$850ish in total.

If you bought a truetrac diff centre from my group buy on toymods, it would be $700 for an LSD centre instead of $250... but would be a LOT better than the MA61 lsd, and cost a total of around $1400.

The end result is a diff that CAN take the punishment, time and time again. Burnouts, drags, trackwork.... it can do it. The F series with a truetrac centre has been proven behind 250rwkW+ 2JZ and 1JZ engines, and it takes it happily.

The T series would cry and snap an axle at any sign of hard driving.