Purchasing Rubber For Ke10

Ok, so we are about to acquire a couple of new cars on the weekend, a ke10 and a ke11.

The ke10 has been deemed to be mine, but I think I'm going to need new rubbers for it, from what I remember. Now, the rare spares website lists a full rubber kit for a ke10 at around $640 but there's a bloke on eBay from Thailand selling 'reproduction' rubbers for alot cheaper, but not in a kit.

I was wondering if anyone has had anything to do with this seller (lilavadee) or the products they sell?

Are they noticeably bad? Or do they fit, and they just aren't quite as good as the genuine ones?

The kits that rare spares are selling would probably be 'reproduction' too though, wouldn't they?

Any help would be appreciated :rolla:

Edited by corolla_nut

Members dont see this ad

Hey,

I have bought the ebay rubber for KE15 from that seller AWESOME....good product. all of it lined up clipped in original shape rubber and clips and all top quality hasn't perished etc.

And $150 all my KIT was for both front and rear windscreen, 2 doors, boot.

He does do kits email him :hmm:

Also I looked at rare spares and stuff for kits here in Aus. CRAP ones I found were similar rubbers made to fit really. So go the ebay guy any day :rolla:

Cameron

I haven't had to purchase any rubber for my car so far, but a mate has just been restoring his KE10 and got all of his stuff through Scotts Old Auto Rubber. Click here

I have no idea what his prices are like, but worth checking out for hard to find bits.

Good luck. Keep us posted with your progress on the car.

Davros

I got a Ke10 rubber kit from lilavadee in Thailand from ebay.

I only ever got around to doing the door rubbers, but they were good.

Boot rubber had to be glued on and I wasn't thrilled with it.

For the money though, I think its a better option than Scott's or Rare Spares.

Phil's Rotaries looks to me like he is a reseller of the Thai stuff - dearer but he is local - in Qld

Awesome!

All I wanted to hear is that people thought the products were good or crap, and you all say yay, so I will be going the eBay way (hopefully without all that crappy unintentional corny rhyming I just did)

Last time I checked (a while ago now though), Scott's Old Auto Rubber was pretty similar in price to Rare Spares.

Yeah, Phil's rotaries basically sells the same aftermarket things, but for a higher price, I bought a boot rubber off him for my 55 about 2 years ago and I think he sent me the wrong one out in the first place, and then it took alot of convincing to get him to send me the right one out...

I was thinking of buying locally, but I think over $600 is a bit of a rip when I can buy the rubbers, either as a kit or seperately for around $300 including shipping from Asia... Maybe if the kits over here were $400 -500 I'd think about it.

Anyho, thanks for your help guys!

You'll probably get an update on how the rubbers and things are going when I get the ke10 and start a project page up. It's probably going to be a pretty active project, as this is going to be my new daily drive, once it's together and going. It's basically been pulled apart, had a white 2pac spray job and that's as far as they got, so It's going to be like one big jigsaw puzzle for my partner and I as the earliest corolla we've owned is a ke20, which has never been completely together (yet).

Cheers :rolla:

Kylie

Gday,

I bought ke30 boot rubber seal. and it was shit. Way to big didnt fit right. It even came in a toyota part bag. But i didnt like the rubber i got for that seller. Just didnt fit the boot lit sat up heaps hi. Just my two cents worth.

Cheers Jamie

i got a pillar rubber for my coupe from rare spares, the originals screw in so as they don't slide down the window, the new one doesnt so constantly falls down, water still comes thru in the car wash (high pressure) which yes is sort of understandable but the original one i have just seems to be better and i paid $40 for a ft of rubber. seriously.

Gday,

I bought ke30 boot rubber seal. and it was shit. Way to big didnt fit right. It even came in a toyota part bag. But i didnt like the rubber i got for that seller. Just didnt fit the boot lit sat up heaps hi. Just my two cents worth.

Cheers Jamie

I purchased the same product from Lilavadee and had no issue with it. I am pretty sure they are all made larger so that you can cut it down to fit. Well thats what i did anyway. Also sat a little higher but gave an excellent seal as far as I can tell. I was also told that it is ok if it sits higher because it will settle over time. Could hardly even tell anyway....

I would say these products are fairly good quality.

Ebay store Designguu on the other hand i found to be very dodgy.

Gday,

Cheers Jamie

Some of these rubbers come in a parts bag that looks like a genuine Toyota bag but isn't. Instead of saying Toyota Genuine Parts, it says Toyota General parts. I guess that's Asian copyright for you. But when you are looking at the ebay picture, you don't get close enough to see this and can be mislead.

I'm of two minds on this now...

I have heard some good things about them and I have also heard some really bad things about them.

I think I'm gonna mull it over for the next few weeks while I put the rest of the car together.

Thanks for your help guys :bash:

I doubt you have any choice. You won't get any genuine ones anywhere.

I plan getting a set from Lilavadee and trying to leave the front and rear screen insitu if possible. Partially as I don't want to risk breaking the screen.

I have obtained a mix of genuine and non genuine seals for my TE27 build via various channels, but have seen nothing genuine in KE1x

Edited by parrot

You shouldn't break the screens.

We took both the front and rear screens out of the ke20, it was surprisingly easy and we didn't break them, and because of the slow project, they have been moved twice and sat around for a year and a bit and have not broken yet.

We also managed to bring the ke10 ones back from ACT in a rough old dyna without breaking too - they're not as fragile as you would think.

I know I won't be able to find genuine ones anywhere that aren't ratshit (be good if I could :y: ) but I'm just wondering about the quality difference between the Thai ones and the rare spare ones. I just want some that I'm not going to have to mess around with or replace in 5 years time.

It's alright, I won't have any money to put towards any for the next couple of weeks, this ACT thing kinda coincided with some rather nasty bills and busted the bank :wink: :bash: