Increased Rocker Ratio On A K Motor ?

Doogs

Hi,

In a few months I plan to build a mild 5k for my car. For a while I have been considering different options for my build, but

had not thought about rockers much.

I know of some people who build holden 6s and similar era engines, and one of the mods they do is to install roller-rockers and up the rocker ratio.

This aims to have the valve accelerating off the valve seat faster, and to produce reasonable power without having to run huge lift in a street

car engine (that would result in rapid wear and lack of driveability).

Has anyone tried/considered altering the rocker setup in a k motor, and are there any of these parts around for such a small engine?

Members dont see this ad
Hi,

In a few months I plan to build a mild 5k for my car. For a while I have been considering different options for my build, but

had not thought about rockers much.

I know of some people who build holden 6s and similar era engines, and one of the mods they do is to install roller-rockers and up the rocker ratio.

This aims to have the valve accelerating off the valve seat faster, and to produce reasonable power without having to run huge lift in a street

car engine (that would result in rapid wear and lack of driveability).

Has anyone tried/considered altering the rocker setup in a k motor, and are there any of these parts around for such a small engine?

ay brother in Australia who built a site for Datsun A12-A15 when you get the information sent. I am also looking for ways to build

Considering you are building a "mild" 5k motor, why bother?

Roller rockers are more a top end mod, so unless you plan on spending extended periods of time over 8 grand, I don't really think the cost/performance factor is very favourable. From what I've seen you are looking at $600-1000+ for roller rockers to suit a Datsun A series motor. Then you have to modify them to suit your 5k, also you'll be needing a solid lifter conversion....

Seems like an awful lot of money to spend on a mild build of a 5k motor.

Yeh, the roller rocker thing is really aiming at the high end market where you need to try get that .5% power increase to get that competitive edge.

I wouldn't worry about it with the milleaux of other useful, significant and cheaper mods available out there. A Cam grind will give you the things you desire, like faster valve acceleration and greater lift anyway, and that will cost you 100 bucks!

I once saw a K motor with Mini roller rockers. BUT mini run a 1.2 ratio so look into it but they can be grafted onto the motor.

I briefly saw this car at a gathering in my town once he had spent a lot on it and for me I wouldn't bother with roller rockers. Even the TRD 3K/4K doesn't have roller rockers.

Cameron

Thanks for the replies.

I didn't realy have roller rockers in mind (due to the cost amoung other things), and yes also thought it would be overkill for this motor and its

application.

I was instead musing about whether you could easliy change the ratio and still run a flat tappet cam. Sorry, I probably should have specified that.

I am aiming to build a mild motor, but a well thought out one (hence the questions).

Thanks again,

Dougal

In terms of holden sixes (as an example) without going to roller rockers there are a few options, main one is 1.65 ratio from falcons.

Or you can bolt on 308 rockers (1.6 aswell)

standard is 1.5

So if you can find a set of rockers that will bolt in and not upset the angle of operation, then Id go for it.

Only thing to check is spring bind when fully compressed.

You're going to have to check a whole bunch of things to make sure it works properly, wipe pattern, spring binding etc. Why reinvent the wheel when you could just get a cam ground?

For such a small engine, the higher ramp speed may only make a barely noticeable difference. I'd go for a basic port job first, there is quite a few areas in there that need obvious tidying up. That will help a whole lot with mid range as well as high end without pushing the valves out further.

Thanks orangeLJ,

Thats more along the lines of what I was thinking.

You're going to have to check a whole bunch of things to make sure it works properly, wipe pattern, spring binding etc. Why reinvent the wheel when you could just get a cam ground?

For such a small engine, the higher ramp speed may only make a barely noticeable difference. I'd go for a basic port job first, there is quite a few areas in there that need obvious tidying up. That will help a whole lot with mid range as well as high end without pushing the valves out further.

snot35, I am planning on doing a port job and cam as well as maybe bigger valves.

I wanted to see if this could be done, and if parts were easily available. Being a k motor I assumed they were'nt, but I thought I may as well check.

I once saw a K motor with Mini roller rockers. BUT mini run a 1.2 ratio so look into it but they can be grafted onto the motor.

I briefly saw this car at a gathering in my town once he had spent a lot on it and for me I wouldn't bother with roller rockers. Even the TRD 3K/4K doesn't have roller rockers.

Cameron

Have heard of minis using K rockers for a budget hi lift mod.

Those 1.7-1 roller tipped rockers could be worth it if they fit... anyone ever looked into this?

:yes: forgot the link.. http://www.minisport.com/acatalog/Mini_Rol...ip_Rockers.html

Edited by tojo2

Exactly. You could get a cam reground to max out the available valve lift just short of coil bind. Cost $100-150.

Ok, point heard.

I thought I may as well have a look at what else I could do to make this build as good as I can.

Invest in some books by David Vizard and Graham Bell. :yes:

Those guys will set you in the right direction to get the best bang for your buck. :hmm: It amazes me how easily and cheaply you can get a K motor to go with a well balanced package.

Edited by Felix