7k Engine Question

hi all,

just had a little thought the other day about the sump issue when putting a 7k engine into a ke2x,

well i am yet to do this conversion but will be going ahead with it sometime... once everything is ready i guess...

anyways I'm not sure if this has been discussed but this is my question to you all -

when putting the 7k engine into the bay apparently the sump dosnt quite fit in properly, so instead of cutting and welding a section out of the 7k sump couldnt you just swap it with a 3k,4k or 5k sump????

any info is greatlty appreciated.

cheers, haydn.

Members dont see this ad

Hi hayden

I have fitted 7K to my KE15 sprinter and the simplest way is to cut a small section from the sump. The 7K is a wider block and also taller and no other sump fits make a cardboard template from bottom of block to crankshaft at lowest point reverse it, use this measurement for the depth of the sump. big port manifold fits straight on and if you slot the thermostat housing you can still use the original 2K cheers Lou

You could cut off the "sump" part of it (leaving the bolt holes), do the same to a 3/4/5k sump and attach that

to the mounting part of the bolt holes on the cut up 7k sump and fill in the gaps?

Now why would you do that? That has to be the absolute hardest way of solving the problem. Just cut out the section where the crossmember doesn't clear and re-weld.

You could cut off the "sump" part of it (leaving the bolt holes), do the same to a 3/4/5k sump and attach that

to the mounting part of the bolt holes on the cut up 7k sump and fill in the gaps?

Hmm could be an idea, it does sound like alot more work tho. Cheers tho moite

Hi hayden

I have fitted 7K to my KE15 sprinter and the simplest way is to cut a small section from the sump. The 7K is a wider block and also taller and no other sump fits make a cardboard template from bottom of block to crankshaft at lowest point reverse it, use this measurement for the depth of the sump. big port manifold fits straight on and if you slot the thermostat housing you can still use the original 2K cheers Lou

Hey mate,

Ok ye that seems to be the easyest way, thanks heaps for the info I'll be putting it to work soon

May also be worth mentioning that a 3k sump is actually different to 4k and 5k (which are interchangable).

3k has 9 bolts per side, 4k and 5k have 11. ;)

Ahhh, oki doke cheers for that.