Custom Chaser Rims

Thought i'd post up some pics of some rims i just made,well modified anyway......

Had a pair of 15x7" 4x114.3 chasers sitting around the yard for a few years now,originally from a 2001 Kia Carnival(i think)

I bought a few sets cheep when i worked at bob jane,but these were all i had left.

they were obviously FWD offset,so a ghastly fit on any datto or rolla.......

Now i'd done this b4(out the back)when i worked at bob jane,with the exception i didn't weld them,

so i sorta knew what i was doing......Anyway

I got to grinding away the old welds,slowly and carefully....although i still slipped and nicked the rim a few times,Until they were about gone.

then i evenly tapped the edge with a chisel until i could see the center start to separate from the rim.

I then bolted the rim to an axle i had lying around,and using it like a one of them post whacker-iners(lol) i knocked the center out of the rim.

Then I basically flipped the center and welded it in the other way!

Sweet! except my valve is facing the wrong way...Shit!

I drilled out a new valve hole in the other side of the rim and filled in the old one with weld!

Just gotta paint them up now and they will look a million bucks!

P1020415.jpg

P1020416.jpg

I'm gunna do the centers black with a silver rim/lip

hope ya's like em!

josh

Members dont see this ad

Hey, good thinking 99, we used to do this type of modification to wheels way back when I was a boy, before wide rims and mags became commonplace. They look exceptional if you get the rims chromed when they are apart and then paint the centres black when you weld them back together. Try drilling your new valve stem hole diagonally opposite the old one to defeat any balance problem that may occur and rather than weld up the old hole, just fill it with a screw in stem from a tyre dealer. ( check caliper clearance first).

If you shop around you will find that there are wider rims that fit your centres too. Like 7" ford or holden rims maybe. Its a cheap way of having a tuff set of good looking rims for next to not much.

Anyway, have fun with it and don`t tell the coppers coz its highly illegal.

Finished em off today......next time i'll be painting the band and center b4 i weld them in.....that was a prick of a job!

pics

P1020418.jpg

P1020417.jpg

have to wait till monday b4 i can afford tyres.....and now i gotta find a pair of 15" meshies or something for the front to run with em!!

josh

Mate, they look brilliant. A nice ste of chrome nuts will set them right off.

Glad to see that someone out there is not afraid to think outside the square.