Jdm 4age Wiring, Help Me Decide.

trav_555

OK

I bought a JDM 4age came with a loom for a microtech and a microtech lt10s and ignitor, the microtech had the wrong tune for my 4age, and 400 dollar remap, not worth the effort.

So I sold it, The stuff I got also came with a blue sticker 4ag standard ecu, now these are an adm ecu yes? Also came with a wiring loom that looks like it suits.

Now, I'm wondering what I should do.

The wiring loom I have for the adm ecu looks a little messy, I am not sure what it is missing, like it has all the injectors everything, like looks complete, except for 4 wires that come out of the loom that somehow change into like 20ish little wires with cheap single plugs on the end of them. I don't know what there for. Also dosent have anywhere for an ignitor or coil, so I'm a bit lost there.

I will take some photos of the loom.

Also I'm getting another intake from japan for this engine, its bare, just the inlet not throttle body or map sensor etc etc.

Should I wire it up with an afm and get another loom out of an ae82 or similar?

Or should I get a jdm ecu and an adm bigport loom and modify it to suit and figure out something for the map sensor?

Or should I just make my own loom and go aftermarket? IE megasquirt?

Or does someone have a JDM loom and ecu unmodify'd or not very much, complete and figure out a map sensor for it?

Cheers.

Travis.

Members dont see this ad

microguess are shit, good work on selling it, I'm amazed people pay money for them...

go motec or haltech.

is it worth pissing aroung with standard ECU and having it run rich and not be versatile to suit what you wanna do, or just get it tuned and make better power across the board and have versatility for future mods...

ce7tt

Bigport looms are MAP sensed except for USDM, so you can get looms from UK for example, as I did. UKDM ECU's have blue stickers by the way, so you can't rely on that. You need to check the part number. JDM looms are MAP sensed, I have one of those too. Bear in mind, that in Japan, 4AGE's were also fitted in Celica's and Corona's, so a JDM computer may have come from one of them. God knows which looms they may work with.

ADM looms out of AE82's are easy to come by and it really isn't worth the hassle and pain of trying to patch up some one else's butchery. If you decide on a AE82 loom, just get another one. When converting to rear wheel drive, you need to lengthen some parts of it I believe.

Smallport looms / ECU's have different ECU plugs when compared to bigport.

Don't go AFM, there is a reason US guys are always trying to convert to MAP.

The intake doesn't relate to the MAP sensor at all so intake issues are separate. Vacuum is fed from the plenum to the MAP sensor. AFM obviously does impact intake. If using a MAP bigport loom, you just use an AE82 MAP sensor.

I believe the ADM computers don't work in AE86 engine looms due to injector firing pattern differences.

Finally, an AE86 bigport loom actually consists of three separate sections, the engine loom, the lights and charging loom, and the under dash loom. The lights and charging loom contains part of the idle up circuit. The dash loom contains the circuit open and EFI relay amongst others. To get it really running well, you need all three. Otherwise you compromise somewhere.

You need to decide what you plan to do with it. Modify the engine very far, and the standard ECU will struggle. Then you are back where you started - modify to an aftermarket ECU, megasquirt, piggyback etc?

Edited by parrot

Even aussy bigport 16v's are amp sensored?

Or is it only the ones with blue and black writing on the cam cover bigports? I thought it was only jdm ones were MAP and aussy were AFM?

Yea I just feel I can convert to aftermarket ECU later on down the track, kinda need it on the road as my dad is having more of a whinge everyday.

Red and black cam covered bigports are definately AFM.

Read here scroll down a bit: http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/phil.bradsh...#Specifications

Cheers.

Travis.

At the moment I have to get this engine in ASAP so its going in stock standard apart from a TODA flywheel and heavy duty clutch. I'm building another engine I have in my garage after this stock one is running and on the road.

Hmm. Parrot, would it be too much trouble for you to take a picture of all the plugs and associated wiring for a bigport loom? everything to get it running?

I really don't know aobut this loom, but its handy to know that I can get the stuff I need out of an ae82. Just need to find one...

Cheers.

Travis.

There were no ADM AFM bigports, and I have never seen a JDM AFM bigport. Having said that, Toyota produced many variants for many markets.

And you can never rely on the cam covers!

I have that magazine and will check it, and also check my Levin & Trueno Mag collection.

Ok thankyou.

I will look around, I think I'm going to need to go to a pick a part of some description. I may do this on one of the days before I fly out to Fiji as i will be in Sydney, anyone know which ones has a few ae82's?

Cheers.

Travis.

For what it's worth, I went through that magazine and cannot find a table like it. Potentially someone has read through it and interpreted it.

Realistically, it doesn't matter. You wont get a AFM bigport loom here, and even if the motor originally came from somewhere as an AFM engine, you would likely never know and it would run perfectly with a MAP loom.

I'll see what I can do re photo's.

The detailed wiring looms are here (although for an AE86) and an excellent more basic wiring diagram is found in the Diagnostics manual.

Thanks for that link.

Lets say I didnt have any wiring loom at all, nothing, just a JDM 4age.

What would I need out of an ae82 to get me by? inlcuding map snesor and throttle body and stuff off inlet amnifold and ignitor and coil, what else?

Cheers for that, photos would be great to cross reference the loom I already have :y:

Cheers.

Travis.

Coil / ignitor, dizzy, map sensor, TVIS actuator VSV and tank, cold start injector (on plenum), intake air temp sensor (on plenum), fuel pressure regulator (on fuel rail), fuel pulsation damper (on fuel rail), throttle position sensor, TVIS diaphragm, block on back of the head with start injector time switch & water temp sensor.

You don't need any of the idle up VSV's (2) unless you intend to make the effort to wire them up. Most conversions don't bother.

All you need is the plugs, get a new loom with your ecu and just splice the connectors on the end. You'll just need to power up the injectors, coil(s) and igniter(s) and the TVIS. Most of the new ecu's have an integrated MAP sensor, I'd work out what ecu you to get before getting too many accessories. If you're going aftermarket you could go wasted spark or COPS too, so make sure you plan it out before you buy too much gear.

BTW I thought the aussie delivered 4age MR2's ran the AFM setup...

Coil / ignitor, dizzy, map sensor, TVIS actuator VSV and tank, cold start injector (on plenum), intake air temp sensor (on plenum), fuel pressure regulator (on fuel rail), fuel pulsation damper (on fuel rail), throttle position sensor, TVIS diaphragm, block on back of the head with start injector time switch & water temp sensor.

You don't need any of the idle up VSV's (2) unless you intend to make the effort to wire them up. Most conversions don't bother.

So I cannot use the JDM gear?

I have a JDM dizzy, tvis setup, TPS, and the green? and brown? plugs on the back of the head are there if thats what you were reffering too, I also have the fuel rail, Pretty sure its complete.

All I'm missing is coil and ignitor and map sensor and things attached to the inlet plenum and a complete loom and ecu? For the JDM setup.

I will go and get some photos of the ecu and loom and plugs on the actual engine now.

Cheers.

Travis.

I just remebered I don't have TPS or throttle either..

Pics:

Image029-5.jpg

Image029-5.jpg

Image029-5.jpg

Image032-5.jpg

Image033-4.jpg

Image034-4.jpg

Image035-4.jpg

Kinda wish I didnt sell all the wiring I had... I was an idiot...

And wish I didnt sell my rwd complete inlet plenum and everthing on it...

In hignsight anyway.

Travis.