4ye In A Ke55 Corolla

Sloth

Hey guys, i've been having some problems with the gearbox in my KE55. At the moment i am running the original 4K engine with a 4 speed box that i took from a previous Corolla that i had. I thought that when i replace or fix the gear box i may as well change the engine while i am at it. So lately we have been hunting down some engines and boxes. We managed to find a cheap Tarago with a 4YE engine with a 5 speed gear box and i was wondering if anyone knows about these engines and if they will fit in the KE55. If they can fit, what modifications (if any) will i need to do: engine mounts, fuel pump etc. I'll also appreciate any comments you can add.

Members dont see this ad

err not exactly the performance engine the 4ye...

why not do a straight swap for a 4k and do a some research on better engines, its like modifying a charade engine to fit in your corolla only to realise that it cost you more than a 4ag swap!!

Sorry for the general post Grim, i'm fairly new to all this stuff.

This is part of my research into the conversion, i thought this was probably one of the best places to find the info i needed. Your right about the gear box not fitting, which basically leaves me back where i started, with no decent gearbox.

Thanks for your post Styler, i haven't really found much on the specs of the engine (Nobody really wants to put Tarago info on the net :Þ ). I might just have to leave it alone for the moment, until i can afford to go for something a litle better, maybe a 4AG conversion.

Me and the old man are trying to get our hands on a 7K engine. With the right bellhousing will i still be able to use a five speed 4K gearbox? If i can then i might try and get a five speed gear box now (cause mine isn't too good) then get the bellhousing and engine later.

don't give up so easily on the 4y..... they are a good torquey motor, and not that different form a k series in diamensions.

you may find the van box will work, toyota use the same gearboxs in some vans as some cars... like the w series...

a bit of measuring and poking around in a wreckers yard is what you need to do

thanks for the info guys. we will have the tape measure out over the weekend.i know very little about rolla's, i'm currently restoring an 86 mercedes 560SEL. they're a little bit different. sloth's ke55 has been a gem. only $250 from a mates wreckers and the only thing it nedded for a rodie was rear brake cylinders. everything we do is done on the cheap so we may hit you with some funny questions.