72 Ke20

KEhendo

thanks for the comments guys.

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/index.php?showtopic=38786 according to this thread i can use ae86 shocks in my ke20. this opens up a whole world of shocks at my finger tips. (and takumi tax) is there much difference between gas and oil struts? pros/cons?

using the front struts would only be a resort if i couldn't use the backing plates and calipers on my ke20 struts.

what sort of red line should i be looking at with just rebuilt internals? the comp was good 2 years ago when the engine was put in the car. is there a reason for it to have dropped? in the faq it says something about 8k but i think that was a maximum not a recommended redline.

yeh, thats the one. i like the passengers seat out of it too but was unsure if it would fit and the matching drivers one was stuffed. didn't have a look at the ke70's today.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8000rpm is a maximum. Any cam you choose for a streetable engine will have stopped making power long before then anyway, so no reason to be hitting that. The idea is to keep the revs within the powerband where practical.

Compression testing is quick and easy, I would just recheck it now so you know where you are at.

As for cages, unless you plan to do some competition in it, I wouldn't go there. Attracts too much attention, everyone wants to drag you, and it becomes a pain in the arse.

thanks for the advice pete. i was hoping to do the occasional hillclimb/sprint in the car. nothing serious, just wanted to have a go at driving hard without worrying the boys in blue or worse hitting someone/something. the only reason i wanted the cage was to mount harnesses to. plus, i'm young and stupid so the idea of a ke20 with a halfcage and a loud exhaust is cool.

i know i will regret it at one point so all the mods i'm doing will hopefully be reversible. so the cage will just be a bolt in one, i don't really want to flare the guards. i can see stock ke20s only going up in price so i'm keeping all the old bits. lets see if i can have my cake and eat it too.

I'm all for that, and reckon you're going the right way. I was young and stupid once too, and had a 6 point bolt in cage in my old TA22, with a big weber sticker on the back window. I think if you are going to do some sprints/hillclimbs, then a cage is a good idea.

Perhaps have a talk with silverRA23 as he will have an idea of the current requirements for cages in CAMS events.

Your plans sound good Hendo, I'm sure we can have some great cruises together when both our cars are ready. (Obviously yours is cruisable at the moment as well though). I will keep a keen watch on what you are doing suspension wise, and have a chat to you when you do upgrade. Suspension is top of my to-do list after I have rego.

Cheers,

Dougal

I'm all for that, and reckon you're going the right way. I was young and stupid once too, and had a 6 point bolt in cage in my old TA22, with a big weber sticker on the back window. I think if you are going to do some sprints/hillclimbs, then a cage is a good idea.

Perhaps have a talk with silverRA23 as he will have an idea of the current requirements for cages in CAMS events.

haha, yay for stupidity. as i say, cage was only to mount the harnesses to. i don't plan on rolling it but you never know. i have surprised myself before. :hmm:

i'll have a chat to adam when i next see him. not sure if i'll have to full cage it because of the lack of side intrusion bars.

Your plans sound good Hendo, I'm sure we can have some great cruises together when both our cars are ready. (Obviously yours is cruisable at the moment as well though). I will keep a keen watch on what you are doing suspension wise, and have a chat to you when you do upgrade. Suspension is top of my to-do list after I have rego.

Cheers,

Dougal

well, the plan at the moment is pedders lower/uprated springs in the front and just rest leaves in the back. if this makes it too understeery then i'll be sticking extra leaves in the back till i sort it out. will also be putting in a thicker sway bar in the front as i have ruined the handling with just the one in the back.

shocks will be determined by whatever i can fit in the front struts. considering the ke50 ones that i picked up if i can get them to fit and can get decent shocks.

well, the plan at the moment is pedders lower/uprated springs in the front and just rest leaves in the back. if this makes it too understeery then i'll be sticking extra leaves in the back till i sort it out. will also be putting in a thicker sway bar in the front as i have ruined the handling with just the one in the back.

shocks will be determined by whatever i can fit in the front struts. considering the ke50 ones that i picked up if i can get them to fit and can get decent shocks.

Ok, that's along the lines of what I was thinking as well. A mate said to me he knows a guy who will reset my leaves and setup a stiffer pack for around $250. I am also unsure of what is available when it comes to front struts, so will need to do some researching.

Is your rear bar a Whiteline one ?

Edited by Doogs

Ok, that's along the lines of what I was thinking as well. A mate said to me he knows a guy who will reset my leaves and setup a stiffer pack for around $250. I am also unsure of what is available when it comes to front struts, so will need to do some researching.

Is your rear bar a Whiteline one ?

i'll let you know when the time comes what i'll be doing. still trying to work out what i'm doing with the crown atm.

my rear one is a whiteline but from what i have heard they no longer make ones for the rear, only the front. i got mine secondhand, unused from ebay.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...