72 Ke20

KEhendo

Sounds good to me.

I have similar ideas myself. I am a big fan of being period or at least in the style of the era.

But untill I can afford to do suspension and rims I will be cruising round on stockies with whitewalls.

As much as I don't mind sleepers, I think going for something different can look far better (eg. Troys car).

Something I plan for mine is one of these 'spring locker' setups. Although they are not as good as a true LSD I hear they

can be quite an improvement over the standard open diff.

Discussion thread

that's brilliant! i'm deffs going to looking them. went for a drive yesterday and the rain really doesn't help my handling problems. it go to the point that i was considering fitting a TA22 diff with custom mounts, just so i could get an lsd center.

one of the next things on my list is to repaint the plastic trims (brake light surrounds, bonnet vent things, corner garnishes, ect) back to the factory silver. i wan wondering if anyone knows the paint code for this silver, or even an equivalent current colour that is a close match.

cheers, hendo.

• 2 weeks later...
Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, bad news. progress on the 20 will stop for the moment.

i was out at the wreckers today looking for wheels for a mates commodore and came home with this.

5289_1125077338668_1579170497_314166_3118654_n.jpg

it's a 1969 ms55 toyota crown deluxe.

i'm very happy with myself. it was too good to scrap and only cost me $400, $300 of which has been gifted to me by a mate for looking after his car. haha.

i'm going to drive it home tomorrow and get some more photos for you guys.

thoughts?

ps: i haven't told my parents yet. they're going to kill me when they find out. :y:

That is awesome. Total 60's VIP stylin'. Jeez I woulda bought that for twice the price. Bargain of the week....... especially if you can drive it home.

Haha..... parents are funny..... they'll be right. I always had a few cars littered on their lawn when i was living at home. Now I still have two cars stored with them...... one at a mate's, one in storage and a few live with me. Meh..... what can ya do.

yeh, it's not as straight on the other side. :y: bastards used a big forklift thing to move it and put two big bends in the other side. should be ok tho, the look like the kind that pop out and you just have to touch them up. i'm having second thoughts about driving it home. i haven't tested the brakes as yet. i'll take it for a drive round the block first. it's about a 30km drive from my house and there are lots of hills.

just spoke to dad, it's all good :lolcry: it's great having car enthusiast parents.

yeh, it's not as straight on the other side. :y: bastards used a big forklift thing to move it and put two big bends in the other side. should be ok tho, the look like the kind that pop out and you just have to touch them up. i'm having second thoughts about driving it home. i haven't tested the brakes as yet. i'll take it for a drive round the block first. it's about a 30km drive from my house and there are lots of hills.

just spoke to dad, it's all good :lolcry: it's great having car enthusiast parents.

great score, keep ya eyes out for a set of ford mags they will tuck under the body just nice , check the pitman arm

cause they crap themselfs slap in a 7m motor and one smooth sleeper all legal

just don't forget about ya other rolla it might get lonley

cheers

woz

thanks for the responses guys. i'm going to start up a thread just for it.

don't worry woz, the corolla won't be left out. it's still being driven regularly. the good thing is i can make the corolla more focused and performance oriented.

• 2 months later...

tiny little update. found that the car loses fuel out the overflow when i turn hard right with anything more than 1/2 a tank. bad news is i found this out after losing 10L in about 30km. :)

purchased this:

8228_1168648827928_1579170497_442259_1571475_n.jpg

it's period correct and sporty but it says datsun in the middle and i need a different boss kit to fit it. got quoted $90 from repco for a boss kit so it's not looking like i'll have it on anytime soon.

not much else going on. saving my moneys for the crown.

• 4 months later...

well after much stuffing round with other crap (not just the crown) i have finally got my act together and got motivated to start working on this again.

some small updates include, fitting of steering wheel, some mazda 13inch wheels for my good michelins, 'half moon' headlight covers. transfer of my [HEND-0] number plates.

22340_1277126299797_1579170497_684137_5854885_n.jpg

wheel

22340_1277126339798_1579170497_684138_1713137_n.jpg

toyota center. thanks to max for this.

11037_1211750985455_1579170497_539732_4499638_n.jpg

black 13s.

17978_1229783236250_1579170497_579322_2843875_n.jpg

new headlight covers.

17978_1235167410851_1579170497_594630_7685849_n.jpg

plates on.

now, it's time for upgrades and general tidying that i've wanted to do since i've had the car but never found the time. this includes

22340_1277126059791_1579170497_684131_2772958_n.jpg

fixing this pitting if it isn't too bad or rechroming if it is.

22340_1277126099792_1579170497_684132_390996_n.jpg

fixing this huge chunk of bog that is falling out. not really keen on wanting to see what's behind this or how deep it actually is. ;)

22340_1277126139793_1579170497_684133_4218492_n.jpg

stripping and painting all these silver bits. (grill, under grill bit, indicator surrounds, ram-air conditioning scoops brake surrounds)

22340_1277126179794_1579170497_684134_3324578_n.jpg

nipping this in the bud before it gets bad. there is also a small bubble on the bonnet and a hole about the size of a pen hole in the rear quarter just behind the wheel that i want to see to as well.

mods to come. don't worry, i'm not putting chromies on it and cutting the springs.

went down to the wreckers and picked these up.

22340_1277126219795_1579170497_684135_7465618_n.jpg

i was hoping to find some ke30 ones for the bolt in (slight) brake upgrade but there where none at pick pay n go. i got these out of the ke50 liftback there hoping if they will fit. can anyone shed some light on this? if i am not able to just use the brakes, and i use the whole strut? will i need to swap the tops over? (the thing with the 3 bolts and the rubber mount) these where the earliest struts down there (78 iirc) and are running sumitomo calipers.

22340_1277126259796_1579170497_684136_4040870_n.jpg

my rear shocks where worn out a long time ago and look as if they have been there since 72 by the amount of road crap on them. these will be replaced by something much better when i get to the suspension work which at the moment consists of a slight(40-50mm) lowering job and some stiffer rate springs. have not done any specific research into this but a few people have recommended KYB adjustable ones. me being the wanker that i am want some kind of trd shock. :) blues or greens. but as i say, i need to do some proper research into it.

i have also picked up a 32DMTR weber carby off a fiat 128. after some advice and a super handy diagram form Taz_Rx i'm thinking i might not use it and have a go at bike carbs. the more i think about them the more they start to make sense. i have talked to a mate that can weld and he's willing to have a go at a manifold for me. i was thinking flange/some kind of short metal tube/silicone adapter/carbs. this is only a preliminary thing and i still have to work out intake sizing/carb jetting/where to get the silicone bits form. maybe even having to beef up the fuel system. if it starts getting ridiculous then i'll just forget the whole idea but if it can be done for about 6-700 then i'd be quite happy.

there will hopefully be some kind of camshaft coming later on but i'm still undecided on what profile. all depends on, if i have the $$$ to balance the engine for more rpms and what intake i end up using. i'm hoping for the car to be super fun and rev to just over 7000 but not be a complete pig in traffic if i need to daily it.

exhaust is getting planned out. at the moment it's looking like a 2in system with a trick or two but might end up just being boring with mufflers and stuff.

i want the wheels will end up being 14 by 6 or 7ish. i want some decent rubber but i don't want massive flares or to munch my guards. may end up getting some te27 flares if i get over excited with my wheel choice.

i have flirted with the idea of a half cage with buckets and 4 point harnesses but this my be a little too far for the street and by my understanding need to be engineered.

i've set myself the goal of having it done by the time i'm on my full license (june 2011). if all goes to plan and nothing comes up it should be done... maybe. i'd love it to have done by GOR 2011 but i'm not going rush it if it's not the way i want it.

good on you if you lasted through all my ramblings. please leave a comment if you can help with advice in any of the areas. (struts,bike carbs,cam,suspension,halfcage ect.)

cheers, alex.

[/rambling update]

I reckon getting onto the rust asap will be a good thing. Try and get your mate to cut and weld it if possible. Bog is always a temporary measure, and only leads to bigger dramas later.

Can't help with the struts, I imagine the main issue would be whether they fit on your steering arms? If you need the later bolt spacing steering arm (85mm vs 80mm KE20) to suit the smaller balljoint, let me know and I will see if I can source some for you. I think I know where some are at the moment.

With the engine, no need to reinvent the wheel. It's been done many times, and well described in the FAQ's, which I'm sure you have read 100 times. If your bottom end is in good condition (compression and so on), think about putting in a cam and leaving the rest of the bottom end alone. Then spend a little cash on the head and cam. I went that way with a 2T years back and it went like a train.

I have a couple of sets of TE27 rear shocks here if you want to trial fit and test. Some KYB 4 way oils, and some TRD gas. If they go well, you could pick some up fairly cheaply on yahoo once you know they fit. i don't think there is a lot of options off the shelf for KE20's.