Trev's 1990 Fzr250rr (yamaha)

Trev

Running lean is not what you want, you risk engine damage. How did you work out its running lean, sparkplug colour, or is it because its lacking go?

Lack of power, Unsteady revving and it revs better when helped with carby cleaner, My boss and my mates brother (bike mechanic) both came to the conclusion that the jets are too small but I will dyno it and get a fuel map and see how lean it is before any changes are made.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lack of power, Unsteady revving and it revs better when helped with carby cleaner, My boss and my mates brother (bike mechanic) both came to the conclusion that the jets are too small but I will dyno it and get a fuel map and see how lean it is before any changes are made.

Yeah, that does sound like its running lean, it will be interesting to see how it goes on the dyno.

• 2 weeks later...
so have you got the issues sorted?

They were still there last night but I managed to get 180k's out of the tank before I hit reserve (which is pretty good) and the bike was not being ridden slowly, I took it apart today to do a oil and filter change and thought I'd do an exhaust heat test by hand to see if it was running on all 4 and found that number 3 was cooler than the other 3 (lean) so I adjusted the mixture screw and shut the bike off, I tested it 5 mins later and they felt equal but I think I'm going to get 4 lambda meters (o2 sensors) and put one in each pipe and tune it, Well I will see how it is with todays tune.

• 4 weeks later...

When I 1st got this thing I thought that I would be flat out doing 1500k's on it in a year, I think I'm almost at that now, I was out and about saturday so I went to my mum's, I spoke to her today and she said that when I left she could hear me for quite some time, I wasn't even going fast, It's just loud as it revs high.

Does it still have the stock muffler on it Trev?

Dad put a Remus on his BMW and it ran like an absolute dog.

Had to drill out the jets as the "in" just couldn't keep up with the "out". Maybe just something to bare in mind.

Standard exhaust and air filter, I just don't think it was ever tuned for Australian conditions.

• 2 weeks later...

Went and did Q-ride yesterday and passed so tomorrow I am going in to qld transport to get my opens, Today I thought I would do some tidying up on it so I removed the rear guard as it gives it a far more sportier look and hit the exhaust can with some autosol and repainted the tip.

Before:

post-1373-1255252534_thumb.jpg

After:

post-1373-1255252582_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...