20v Aftermarket Engine Management

RedKE30

Hey all,

The time has come to buy an aftermarket ECU for my 20v KE30 project, just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to which brand to go. I was looking at an LT10s but I've heard someone say that Microtech's are no good for 20v's.

I realise that a lot of it is down to the tuner as to how good it works, but I'm hoping people can give me the benefit of personal experience.

Ninja edit: Also if anyone can recommend a quality tuner in Melbourne for their chosen ECU I would be very grateful.

Cheers,

Sian

Edited by RedKE30

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

take you choice theres plenty out there.

do a search on the web, ie Vipec, Adaptronic, Autronic, Wolf, Microtech, Link etc etc

then have a look at their website for distributors/tuners do some ringing around for prices and the turners advice, a/m ecu's are usually a personal choice so ultimately it comes down to you and what you going to use the car for :P

I have a 20 V running a Microtech LT10S. I am not much for the technical side of things in terms of tuning etc but can give some feedback.

Idle Control Valve does not work with the LT10S, and this has been the experience with two 20 V motors now in RWD form. Not a big issue as the Microtech can control the idle but mine tends to idle at 1120RPM most of time and only occasionally at the 1000RPM which is it is supposed to idle at.

Cold Start Function does not work. A simple thing you might say but unless you keep the revs up when getting out the driveway when cold it will stall. Some mornings I find myself stalling it 3 times before I get going. Once you are driving though it is no issue. Starting for the rest of the day is quite good :y:

These are only small things from my experience.

You would want to check what other ECU's can do in terms of the above as it will make the overall driveability of the car much better.

There also might be better operators of Microtech that can overcome the above issues. :)

I have an Adaptronic on my 20v motor, and its great.

You can connect any sort of idle control, trigger anything for ignition, configure it yourself with generally free base maps to get your car running. There's great after sales support from the fellow who actually designs the ecus (and he is Australian), and his team. If you can't get onto your local rep for them, then you can just deal direct with them in Sydney. They run a forum on their website to help you find what you need and fix problems. Since I have had my ecu they have done perhaps 20 software updates for the ecu which don't affect my settings but generally make it run better and better. They are very soon launching a bigger, better ecu and I'm keen to see how it works too.

I didn't do idle control with mine, it idled at about 1600rpm, and I was fine with that. You have to strangle a 20v pretty hard to get idling below 1000 revs, and it never got done. They arent loud at 1600 rpm. It revs to 8000 rpm, its barely spinning at 1600.

I used my adaptronic to trigger cop ignition from a 1zzfe, trigger the thermofan, open and close the vapour purge solenoid at different rpm, show digital gauges, trigger sequential shiftlights, all kinds of funny stuff. It triggered vvt no problem. It will also control vvti.

Well worth a visit to the website. Make sure in your research you download and install the interface program for each ecu and see how sensible it seems to you, look at the practical implementation of how the features work and are controlled.

Thanks for the feedback guys, it's been quite helpful.

No cold start function on the microtech doesn't appeal to me...

Is there many tuners around who have experience in adaptronic? Red, you've made it sound like a good way to go.

imo a microtech is only good for a rotor, even then these better choices.

not sure if they have majorly improved the LT10s over the older ones but every tuner or person who has run one have said they cannot get a accurate enough tune due to not enough resolution in maps and poor switching for load mapping (i.e part throttle not just what and WCT).

imo a microtech is only good for a rotor, even then these better choices.

not sure if they have majorly improved the LT10s over the older ones but every tuner or person who has run one have said they cannot get a accurate enough tune due to not enough resolution in maps and poor switching for load mapping (i.e part throttle not just what and WCT).

So it seems like microtech might be out. Can you get a hand controller for the Adaptronic or will I have to plug a laptop into it?

laptop is fine.

Having done my own tuning from SCRATCH, i can tell you that a hand controller is a waste of time. Tuning with a laptop is a MUCH better option - cos you can see sooooooo much more information whilst making adjustments.

Hand controllers are a wank IMO.

laptop is fine.

Having done my own tuning from SCRATCH, i can tell you that a hand controller is a waste of time. Tuning with a laptop is a MUCH better option - cos you can see sooooooo much more information whilst making adjustments.

Hand controllers are a wank IMO.

To be honest I'm not really looking to tune the car myself. I was more interested in a hand controller just to keep tabs on what's happening while I'm driving. I don't want to have a laptop on my passenger seat to do that, although I do like the idea of the adaptronic.

Has anyone had any experience with haltech on 20v's?

Megasquirt is what I'm going to try on my 16v ae71 then later on my ae95 20v if it's successfull, mostly due to the cost and the fact that my best mate will be tuning it.

I'm not familiar with megasquirt at all, except to say its only as useful as the bloke who puts it together.

Edited by LittleRedSpirit