Ke70 Lights Query

altezzaclub

I've been wondering about the KE's lights, and whether or not they are at peak efficiency.

I see the low beam goes through a relay but the high beam doesn't, so that would be a chance of improvement.

The other query I have is-

Why does the yellow "earth" line return to the switch?? Why isn't that line straight out to earth by the lights?

Am I right in assuming the RedBlack is power to the lowbeam filament and RedGreen is power to the high beam?

I fitted one 90/100watt halogen and the daughter said she couldn't really see the difference between the left and the rght... :P

Thanks Team!

post-7544-1250400852_thumb.jpg

Members dont see this ad
I've been wondering about the KE's lights, and whether or not they are at peak efficiency.

I see the low beam goes through a relay but the high beam doesn't, so that would be a chance of improvement.

The other query I have is-

Why does the yellow "earth" line return to the switch?? Why isn't that line straight out to earth by the lights?

Am I right in assuming the RedBlack is power to the lowbeam filament and RedGreen is power to the high beam?

I fitted one 90/100watt halogen and the daughter said she couldn't really see the difference between the left and the rght... :P

Thanks Team!

In all the Toyotas I've looked at, they've had negative-switched headlights - ie there is power constantly supplied to the lights and you supply a ground to the one you want to turn on, which means that the earth has to pass through the switch.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

Ah- like a Datsun 1600! Thanks Hiro. I will chase it up slowly and probably swap it around with a relay fitted for highbeam as well.

Your SU carbs are quietly sitting while I ponder which modern airfilter to use on an airbox, and whether or not to chase trumpets for them...

After a bit of hunting the web I've come up with this idea-

A mod on a Landcruiser mod, it has a relay in front of the headlights for clean power and one afterwards that acts as the switch. The headlights come on Low as soon as you turn them on, so full power goes through the relays, bulbs and can earth right beside the lights.

When you move the dip switch it activates the 5pole relay and switches from Low to High beam, also running full power from the alty/battery straight through the relays & bulbs to earth.

This can be done by just putting spade terminals into the existing headlight bulb terminals, so the whole existing circuit stays in place and just carries the low current needed to switch the relays.

Anyone done this??

post-7544-1250471572_thumb.jpg

If any of you guys are camera freaks you might want to check this-

Once it was dark tonight I hung a sheet of white plastic inside the garage door, put the wife's Nikon D70 on a tripod and aimed it at the white centre of a headlight. With dip lights on it used an F-value of 5.6.

I pulled the connector off that headlight's bulb and ran wires straight from the battery and back. Then it used an F-value of 7.1.

So it reduced the shutter size to take the same photo because there was more light... How much more??

Well, the F-stop system works on a factor of sq root of 2 to double the amount of light, so opening a lens from F8 to F5.6 doubles the light getting in. The square root of 2 is about 1.41, so thats the size change to double the light, and we saw a change of 1.27 to get from 5.6 to 7.1.

That multiplier of 1.27 is 90% of the usual 1.41 that F-stops are based on, and I'm wondering if that means we increased the light by 90% of double what it was. If that is the case then its worth fitting the relay circuit above and trying to get maximum light, nearly double what we get stock.

Anyone know how these F-values actually work in real life?? If they are some odd logrithmic graph then it may not be that much...

• 1 month later...

Can you see any of the images, or is it just the diagram that doesn't come up?? I can email you the wiring diagram.

I've found out how to make the high-beam light work on the new system, but haven't been able to find a 20ohm 25watt resistor yet. Once I do that I'll re-do the diagram and post it as a pdf or something.