Turbo For My 4kc

Evan G

rules to draw through carby turbo setups

1. Turbo must mave carbon seals fitted since vacuum created on throttle closure will push oil past the seals into your intake - not good

2. Intercooler cannot be used in a draw through setup as you wont be pushing just air into it, but a very volitile air/fuel mix which will condense inside your cooler - potential for a big bang!

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking again about this project, ill probally end up spending $1000 on a rebuilt 4kc and parts, and a sr20det costs $1300?

so yea

hahahaha i thought the same thing with my conversion.

think long and hard before going to buy the sr. cos its the extra costts that're gonna kill ya

brakes fuel sytem diff g/box wiring etc etc etc.

don't knockt the gyt 3k 4k 5k arbnt jokes ther some making round 170rwkw mark thats huge power from1 to 1.8l

iff built right they would fly !

3k=1.2

4k=1.3

5k=1.5

Get it right. I can see the Department of Education did wonders for your spelling skills.

Edited by Jimpoole

my bad. correction sr20det $2000?

(what i don't get is a ca18 cost the same as a sr20? wtf? don't sr make alot more power than ca?)

Realistically I think you could get a tired long motor (bare) for $1200 and a fresher one for $2000. Then add $500 or so for a gearbox, another $500 for a turbo that doesn't suck and then another $500 for loom, ecu, coilpacks, manifolds etc. The cost very quickly reaches up into front/half cut range.

yeah he did read "don't knock the gyt 3k 4k 5k arbnt jokes ther some making round 170rwkw mark thats huge power

from (1 to 1.8l) if built right they would fly !

No need to fight kids lets Stay on topic.

Will a 4k head decompress a 3k i would just get a spacer plate made up if i was you :P

Edited by **chumps**

yoooohooo taz_rx where areee youuu

:y:

1, That turbo is WAY WAY too small. Are you sure its from a 1.5lt motor?? Looks more like a turbo from say a Smart car... yes they're 600 odd cc turbos. Oh and coming from a 335i would indicate its a 3.5 litre BMW (first 3 is the series, last 2x numbers are engine size - 318i is a 1.8lt 3 series).

Can you try and clarify for us what car this is indeed off??

It looks even smaller than my old CT12 and that was rediculously small.

the turbo is sooo small i reckon a 4k will spool it at 1 grand
But at six grand shit will fly

It doesn't work like this. I would dare say that with a 4k at 6000rpm, this turbo would be such a restriction on the exhaust flow of the motor that it wouldn't go much better than a stock 4k!!! Only time it would be any good would be the spool up, once thats over you might as well be NA again!!!

3, I hate to say it, but most of the FAQ turbo K series info its pretty incorrect. It was pretty obviously written by somebody that had never actually turbo'd a K motor, but collected info by others on it. I mean really, anybody that has done it would not say that they can't take any more than 10psi..... thats just when the fun really starts. :lolcry:

I have been meaning to re-write the whole lot for quite some time and I can now cover xKTC's and xKTE's with my personal experience. I've actually just started a months holiday so maybe I can get it done soon.

4, Yes a 4k head on a 3k will drop the CR a bit, just like in reverse. This is a much better idea than using a thicker head gasket or spacer plate to drop the CR, as its also going to send your quench area all up the shit.

I think on 10 pound you're going to blow the shit out of your motor, not only problems with pinging.

Fool! :) First thing to go will nearly always be the head gasket. After that expect some busted ring lands.

6, aym23q has already mentioned the carbon seal issue, and I highly doubt this turbo would already have them. Hence it want to use it budget for around $600-$1000 for a rebuild to get it up to draw through specs. He's also correct on the fact you can't use an intercooler.

7, and as for this......

I'm thinking again about this project, ill probally end up spending $1000 on a rebuilt 4kc and parts, and a sr20det costs $1300?

Sure you might be able to get the motor for $1300, but you're not going to get it running in the car for less than say $5k!!!! :cool: Where as, build a turbo K and $1k is all you need. :bash:

:y:

1, That turbo is WAY WAY too small. Are you sure its from a 1.5lt motor?? Looks more like a turbo from say a Smart car... yes they're 600 odd cc turbos. Oh and coming from a 335i would indicate its a 3.5 litre BMW (first 3 is the series, last 2x numbers are engine size - 318i is a 1.8lt 3 series).

Can you try and clarify for us what car this is indeed off??

It looks even smaller than my old CT12 and that was rediculously small.

It doesn't work like this. I would dare say that with a 4k at 6000rpm, this turbo would be such a restriction on the exhaust flow of the motor that it wouldn't go much better than a stock 4k!!! Only time it would be any good would be the spool up, once thats over you might as well be NA again!!!

3, I hate to say it, but most of the FAQ turbo K series info its pretty incorrect. It was pretty obviously written by somebody that had never actually turbo'd a K motor, but collected info by others on it. I mean really, anybody that has done it would not say that they can't take any more than 10psi..... thats just when the fun really starts. :lolcry:

I have been meaning to re-write the whole lot for quite some time and I can now cover xKTC's and xKTE's with my personal experience. I've actually just started a months holiday so maybe I can get it done soon.

4, Yes a 4k head on a 3k will drop the CR a bit, just like in reverse. This is a much better idea than using a thicker head gasket or spacer plate to drop the CR, as its also going to send your quench area all up the shit.

Fool! :) First thing to go will nearly always be the head gasket. After that expect some busted ring lands.

6, aym23q has already mentioned the carbon seal issue, and I highly doubt this turbo would already have them. Hence it want to use it budget for around $600-$1000 for a rebuild to get it up to draw through specs. He's also correct on the fact you can't use an intercooler.

7, and as for this......

Sure you might be able to get the motor for $1300, but you're not going to get it running in the car for less than say $5k!!!! :cool: Where as, build a turbo K and $1k is all you need. :bash:

thanks taz_rx cleared up alot of my questions

i used to work a bmw it was from a 3L twin turbo (the one that gets 400nm at 1100rpm)

one turbo = 1.5L

if i could get a efi manifold and a wolf 3rd ecu, it would so much easier to work with AFR and i could run a intercooler

with the spacer will you have to run 2 head gaskets? one on each side of the spacer?

(the turbo is also coolant cooled :y:)

thanks again tax_rx bloody legend

Edited by Evan G