V6 Into 4age Ae92 Gti

RurouniNimaj

Members dont see this ad

Guess I'm a lunatic, because I am in the process of dropping a 1mzfe into my AE92 now. I've done quite a bit of research but ultimately you guys might be right about it fitting.

Here are some things you may not have considered however. The 4age (in my case 4agze) that is in the car has an all iron block. The 1mzfe is all alloy. I don't expect to gain a lot of weight by doing this swap. I have measured the engine bay and it will be tight, but I'm not afraid to cut some sheet metal if I have to. The difference in lengths between the 1999 Solara and the 1988 Corolla GTS engines is about 1", the V6 being shorter overall by about 1".

I'm just getting started, but you can check out my progress on my website at www.ozone1000.com.

Guess I'm a lunatic, because I am in the process of dropping a 1mzfe into my AE92 now. I've done quite a bit of research but ultimately you guys might be right about it fitting.

Here are some things you may not have considered however. The 4age (in my case 4agze) that is in the car has an all iron block. The 1mzfe is all alloy.

The V6 gearbox is a _lot_ heavier than a 4AGE gearbox though.....and whilst yes the MZ block is alloy whilst the 4AGE block is cast iron, the heads are both alloy and the V6 has twice as many heads, camshafts, cam gears, and 50% more rods, pistons, valves etc, which all adds up.

The V6 gearbox is a _lot_ heavier than a 4AGE gearbox though.....and whilst yes the MZ block is alloy whilst the 4AGE block is cast iron, the heads are both alloy and the V6 has twice as many heads, camshafts, cam gears, and 50% more rods, pistons, valves etc, which all adds up.

My car has the 4agze with an E series transmission, so it has already gained weight. Online sources say the V6 weighs 400 lbs, which is highly acceptable to me, but it doesn't say how that was measured. I have the ability to weigh the engine, so I will know before I install. We'll see.

My car has the 4agze with an E series transmission, so it has already gained weight. Online sources say the V6 weighs 400 lbs, which is highly acceptable to me, but it doesn't say how that was measured. I have the ability to weigh the engine, so I will know before I install. We'll see.

The original poster didn't have a GZE, he had just a normal 4AGE, which is what this whole discussion thread has been based around. Still, most of the things mentioned would apply to yours as well.

And engine weights are highly dubious unless you do them yourself, you'll find 10 different weights online because some people measure with gearbox, without gearbox, with manifolds, ancilliaries (p/s, aircon, alternator etc), without blah blah blah.

My car originally began with the 4age as well. I believe it gained about 80 lbs with the conversion to 4agze. I weighed the 4age and the 4agze and documented what was included in the weight. I agree that the statements online are dubious, which is why I mentioned that I did not know how the 1mzfe's I had read about were measured. When I remove the V6 engine I will weigh it the same way and then I will know. If you go to my website you will see all this information. I have just purchased a wrecked Solara with the 1mzfe engine and manual transmission. Once it is shipped to my house and I begin the work, the original poster will see what is required and how well it fits in the engine bay of an AE92. I believe I am still on topic, since he wanted to know whether it was possible. I've done some searching and I believe if I succeed in my swap, I will have the only V6 powered AE92 Corolla in the US. I have seen other corollas online with V6 engines, but none of them were what the original poster was looking for. Of course, I don't know what possible engine combinations are possible in Australia either. Just thought I would offer him my website so he can see what I've considered so far.

The answer as far as the block goes, I can tell him for certain that the V6 will not bolt directly to the motor mounts in the AE92. The transmission mounts might fit, but I don't think any of the others will, at least not with the 1mzfe. I know nothing about a 3vz engine. I did not consider it because it is also an iron block and it is an older engine. I was looking for something newer.

Good luck and if you do this swap, make sure to post about it, Rur.