August 26, 200917 yr comment_368801 Guys, I've been offline for a few weeks... Just moved house and had to get me net connection changed over. Let me just praise Telstra's prompt installation and customer-focused service. Anyway, I've bought a house and on the cards is a nice sized shed. I was wondering if anyone has had a Hoist installed in their shed, as I'm looking at designing around putting one in (in the long run). Especially given you can get them new for around $4k installed If so show me pics. Also, what roof height did you design for, as that will drive what shed I get! Edited September 3, 200917 yr by philbey Report
August 26, 200917 yr comment_368817 I havent had a hoist in a shed but i did put a new hoist in my workshop, got a two post with overhead gantry which means the top of the hoist is its highest point, I'm sure the hoist maufacturer could give you the specs for a certain model. The other thing was that they required six inch thick concrete to mount onto. Cheers Justin Report
August 26, 200917 yr Author comment_368919 Yeh, the main issue is the height of the car when on the hoist. I was going to measure the average sedan height plus 1.91 metres (I'm 1.90 tall) and build the roof that high! Did you need extra rebar in the slab as well? Report
September 1, 200917 yr comment_370398 Howdy, Don't know if you want to buy a new hoist or not, but they do come up every now and then on ebay when workshops do a refit/reno or close down. Might be worth keeping an eye on there. Can also find other "ultimate workshop" items on there like tyre fitting machines, lathes etc etc. :lol: Report
September 1, 200917 yr Author comment_370446 yeh I know you can get em. Mind you in the last year of work I've gained a sound appreciation of lifting gear (cranes, hoists etc) and it's inherent ability to kill/injure/maim people. Plus, second hand thrashed out ones with expansive repair bills can cost just as much in the long run. Report
September 1, 200917 yr comment_370487 If you have an ABN, keep in mind the 50% small business tax break too. Could help the cause. Money aside, I agree that the 2-posters are the way to go as described above. Much easier to work on one of these, and the beauty of them is you can park a car underneath for storage, handy for keeping those old rust-prone Rollas out of the rain! Or, you could always go the poor man's hoist and start digging a hole! Sam. Edited September 1, 200917 yr by rollapv75 Report
September 1, 200917 yr comment_370506 Tom, we sell hoists at work and I'm sure I could work you out a good deal if you're wanting something new :P Report
September 1, 200917 yr comment_370614 oh! i have a customer who sells reconditioned hoists...i can get you his details if you want? Report
September 1, 200917 yr comment_370621 Hi If your going to do it do it right, make it so you can get a van /4x4 up you never know, i have 1 in my shed at 3.4m gutter height this is heaps, double thickness and double reo the hoist bay, 7.5m wide gives you heaps for a bench in front and 2 post with overhead gantry so theres no obstructions on the floor for gearbox cranes etc Report
September 1, 200917 yr comment_370624 and don,t forget clear roof panels, makes so much difference Report
September 3, 200917 yr Author comment_370899 Yeh clear panels, thick slab (i sit in an office surrounded by civil engineers) and as tall as I can get it is the go. Thanks for that height curly, any chance you have a photo of this shed? I'm not sure I'll get it that high though.... Mick and Lesley, it'll be a while off but I'll be sure to have words with you! Edited September 3, 200917 yr by philbey Report
September 3, 200917 yr comment_370947 just had a subaru forester up at full height, had about 1m to the roof, guessing a van would be 500mm higher in the body so you could possibly drop the roof by 500mm but no more or you'll shit yourself everytime it goes up, don't forget the higher it is the cooler it is Report
September 3, 200917 yr Author comment_371039 Haha, yeh the council may not think so though. How tall are you? Cos if you're 135cm tall, I'm going to need more height! Report
September 4, 200917 yr comment_371182 Haha, yeh the council may not think so though. How tall are you? Cos if you're 135cm tall, I'm going to need more height! [/quote i'm not an oompaloompa if thats what you mean 5ft 11 Report
September 4, 200917 yr Author comment_371209 yeh cool. I'm just shy of 6'3 and hate having to stoop! Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now